• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slik Video Sprint Head (1 Viewer)

4John

4John
Can anyone tell me if the 'fluid effect' head on the Slik Video Sprint tripod can be removed ?

(I'm looking for a very lightweight 'video' head for an ED50)

Mark

Can anyone tell me if the 'fluid effect' head on the Slik Video Sprint tripod can be removed ?

(I'm looking for a very lightweight 'video' head for an ED50)

Mark

It can on mine. The stud has a 1/4 inch thread-same as the ones used to attach cameras and scopes to tripods. Good luck with finding a very lightweight head to replace the supplied one though. Anything in mind?

Steve

Slik Video Sprint

Steve,

Thanks for a quick response.

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

I have Nikon ED50 which I use on a Slik Sprint Pro tripod. This is a taller and more rigid version of the Video Sprint (which is not tall enough for me, and is too whippy).

However, the 3-way head is too jerky, so I was looking for a lightweight 'video' head. The head on the Video Sprint is 240g, which is the lightest I can find, but is not available separately. I was therefore going to try and find a secondhand one and transfer the head. Before doing this I wanted to make sure it could be removed in the normal way.

The only other thing I've seen is a 340g (?) Velbon PH248, attached to their CX400/480, but it's not available separately, and not removeable according to the catalogue. All the other fluid-effect heads I've seen are around 500g, so if you (or anyone else) know of any other lighter ones I would be very interested to hear about them.

Mark

Steve,

Thanks for a quick response.

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

I have Nikon ED50 which I use on a Slik Sprint Pro tripod. This is a taller and more rigid version of the Video Sprint (which is not tall enough for me, and is too whippy).

However, the 3-way head is too jerky, so I was looking for a lightweight 'video' head. The head on the Video Sprint is 240g, which is the lightest I can find, but is not available separately. I was therefore going to try and find a secondhand one and transfer the head. Before doing this I wanted to make sure it could be removed in the normal way.

The only other thing I've seen is a 340g (?) Velbon PH248, attached to their CX400/480, but it's not available separately, and not removeable according to the catalogue. All the other fluid-effect heads I've seen are around 500g, so if you (or anyone else) know of any other lighter ones I would be very interested to hear about them.

Mark

Hi Mark, now I understand. I too have a video sprint and find it too short and flimsy, so have never used it (it came discounted with my ED50).

The head on it is made of plastic and personally I don't trust it, but I suppose for occasional use It might do on a more stable set of legs if you want really light weight.

Another thought is one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Monopod-Head-Quick-Release/dp/B000JLM50I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252344449&sr=8-1

Of course, it's a monopod head and so only has one plane of movement (up/down), but you might overcome this just by loosening your centre column enough so that it rotates (not a fluid movement, but then the little video sprint head isn't really a proper one either. This solution would be much more solid.

Another option might be a small ball head. I have one of the small Giottos ones, and it works surprisingly well with a tiny scope (again not fluid, though it is surprisingly smooth). Both of the above have a 3/8 inch tripod thread, so would need one of these 1/4 in-3/8 in connectors that cost about £1 from camera shops.

Choices, Choices...

Steve

Last edited:
Video Sprint

Thanks again.

I tried a Video Sprint at In Focus. Whilst the legs and column were not tall enough, and it was not rigid enough, I had no problem with the head.

It was your post in January last year that pointed me in the Slik Sprint Pro direction, and it has so far been very successful for longer walks. It is just tall enough for me, and I agree with you that it is significantly more rigid than the Video Sprint. I couldn't find anything else to touch it. It does have its limitations, but I'd rather put up with those after a couple of hours than the 4kg from a Swarovski 80mm and a Manfrotto 443 CF tripod !

I am not a fan of ballheads. I prefer to move the scope using a pan bar, which I find smoother and more controlled because of the additional length/leverage.

The Manfrotto monopod head is an interesting idea, but as with a ballhead, it doesn’t have the pan bar.

The only separately available video head under 500g I can find is the Velbon FHD-41Q, but it’s only just under 500g at 480g, it only seems to exist on Velbon’s website, and your experiences with the FHD-51Q were not good. I note the warnings on its limitations on the Velbon site, which I assume were added because of the problems.

I am therefore going to try and find a secondhand Video Sprint and transfer the head.

Mark

Thanks again.

I tried a Video Sprint at In Focus. Whilst the legs and column were not tall enough, and it was not rigid enough, I had no problem with the head.

I am therefore going to try and find a secondhand Video Sprint and transfer the head.

Mark

Fair enough. If you are certain that is what you want you could have mine for £15. I paid £19 for it as part of a package, but have hardly used it.

The biggest issue might be postage fees as is quite a large item.

Let me know if you're interested,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm certainly interested. Pictures show the pan bar on the right side of the head. Can it be changed to the left side, or rotated 180 degrees so it effectively ends up on the left side ?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Steve,

I'm certainly interested. Pictures show the pan bar on the right side of the head. Can it be changed to the left side, or rotated 180 degrees so it effectively ends up on the left side ?

Thanks

Mark

No, I think it is mounted in one position and cannot be moved,

Steve

edit: just checked and the pan bar is mounted on the r/h side & is not moveable. To be clear, mine is actually a re-badged Video Sprint, sold by In-Focus shops as a Delta Travel tripod. If you want it pm me and we'll sort out the logistics of getting it to you. Pics here on their website:

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/delta.html

(scroll to bottom of page)

Last edited:
The only separately available video head under 500g I can find is the Velbon FHD-41Q, but it’s only just under 500g at 480g, it only seems to exist on Velbon’s website, and your experiences with the FHD-51Q were not good. I note the warnings on its limitations on the Velbon site, which I assume were added because of the problems.
Hi Mark,
there is evean a FHD-31Q with only 240gr!
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Velbon~productID~7396~categoryid~178.html
I don't know details about it, just found it on the web site.
Good luck!
Bughunter

Bughunter,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I think the PHD 31Q is a 3-way photographic head not a 'fluid effect' video head. As with the Slik SH704E 3-way head supplied with the Sllik Sprint Pro, it is effectively either locked or unlocked. There is no in between quasi fluid-effect setting, which I find makes panning more difficult.

If you can find a separately available 'fluid-effect' video head under 480g I'd be interested to know about it.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back