• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dslr to match a refractor (1 Viewer)

cango

whats needed and whats not?

superduper fast AF? Noo...
Multiple focus points etc? Noo...

Good iso - and I mean not "iso 25000" etc, but GOOD iso, where the feather details remains. Yees...
In body IS? perhaps...(we always shoot on tripods, but perhaps when scope is loose, IS works ok)

Would like to pick your brains, those of you that ca see the pros and con of your dslr's, of what should be in a list for what could be a perfect match for a refractor

(ease to find adapters? weather sealing? Burst rates? High MP, thus being able to "zoom"(crop)?)

I think good ISO and pixels for cropping are all I look for. Although with the lenses I've been playing with this week cropping isn't much of an issue anymore. Not that fussy about burst rate as it tends to be fast enough for when I need it which isn't very often. I look forward to the not too distant future, when the big manufacturers get rid of the mirror. Low noise at high ISO will mean higher magnification can be used in dull conditions at faster shutter speeds. Decent electronic viewfinders with adjustable brightness, being able to magnify portions of the image in the viewfinder would be nice. I guess at the minute the G1 and G2 come close but not for noise.

Paul.

I haven't use any of the mirrorless yet. Some like the EVF, some don't. It has to have a very good evf to replace the ovf, in my opinion. For me it won't do, if it means shooting through a screen in the back.

In my case, these are must haves :
- Auto FP for fill flash.
- At least 11 AF points and good AF system (Sorry Cango, I disagree with you on this one ;) )
- Good viewfinder.
- Good ISO.

Apart from that:
- Inbody IS would be nice, I wouldn't mind if my bodies had it, although I doubt Nikon will ever go there.
- In not very interested in EVFs with the current technology, specially because the AF is not so good, but I also agree that in a non distant future it will be the way to go, and am very interested in the possibilities it can bring.

Well, yes, good af if it's used with regular lenses - and practically - I guess we all do use more than refractors.

But if limited to refractors, how does af and 11 AF points serve you? Just wondering. I use AF confirmation chip, but I'm not sure if that plays any part in af speed (in other words, takes advantage of af speed)

Actually, I was refering to use with the scope, as I use very little AF anyway, even with other lenses.

Good AF serves for using trap focus, the better it is the faster it will release the shutter in focus priority.
And having more points is good for freedom of framing.

My Sony A550 with scope:
High ISO : Yes
Multi spot AF : Yes (with Focus confirm chip installed)
A priority mode: Yes
MP : 14.2
Burst rate : 7.5 fps
Focus trap : No (sobs...)
Body IS: Yes
Shutter noise: very loud (can never shoot a bird at close range)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back