• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Build your own ? (1 Viewer)

Hello again folks,

The cemented achromat I used to take the Blue bird picture was a 74mm by 592. The part number from Surplus Shed was L3405, but it is long gone now. I did purchase a small lens i am quite happy with #B1013, which is a 57mm x 360mm. This is the lens from the Mil. Scope M49. Made in about 1955, the Mil.Spec. cloth foil packing kept it prestine.

Do not see any Jaegers lens of larger size for sale on the Shed now. I suggest one of the air spaced plastic mounted objectives mentioned by Paul would perhaps be a good deal. I would get about an f-9. An f-6 or 7-7 would be sure to give you distortion.

You might also check the Cloudy Nights classified for lenses. Good luck, and let me know how you come out. Gene

Paul Corfield said:

My eye got brightened up with their products but my eye balls almost pop out with their price LOL.

Smithhill said:
Hello again folks,

The cemented achromat I used to take the Blue bird picture was a 74mm by 592. The part number from Surplus Shed was L3405, but it is long gone now. I did purchase a small lens i am quite happy with #B1013, which is a 57mm x 360mm. This is the lens from the Mil. Scope M49. Made in about 1955, the Mil.Spec. cloth foil packing kept it prestine.

Do not see any Jaegers lens of larger size for sale on the Shed now. I suggest one of the air spaced plastic mounted objectives mentioned by Paul would perhaps be a good deal. I would get about an f-9. An f-6 or 7-7 would be sure to give you distortion.

You might also check the Cloudy Nights classified for lenses. Good luck, and let me know how you come out. Gene

Simple Acro would also produce a lot of nice shots and fun. Too bad that Shed no longer stock those good ones. CN got some seemingly sweet deals but their authenticity are sometimes left to desire.

Aegea:
Yes, that Shed lens should be a good buy. It is a bit fast for an achromat, but the worst that could happen is that you might find better views if it is masked to f8 or so.
Use great care in handling. Even a finger brush over a sharp edge on the negative lens can cause a flake. Space with three tabs of aluminum tape. Mount with slight pressure to keep it together.

Which side of the double convex lens faces the concave? I try very small drops of water from a toothpick on different parts of the lens and assemble without spacers. Use the side with the best fit, or it is likely symetrical. And the convex lens faces out. Gene

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Jaegers on Surplus Shed seems to be a ghost in their machine. When I tried to order it, it appeared to be put in my basket, then at checkout the basket was empty. Tried a couple of times just to make sure that it wasn't me, with the same result. Also, searching on the product number (L3777) draws a blank.

Ah well, keep looking I guess ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back