• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a scope ... (1 Viewer)

Aegea

Well, after following this forum for a few months and seeing the excellent results that many people are getting, curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I am taking the plunge and buying a scope. It's a (well) used Orion 80ED, which I think has the "standard" Chinese 80mm f/7.5. Just the basic OTA, no diagonal, finder or eyepieces, which is just fine. I should receive it in about a week, so we'll see how it goes.

Great scope and has fantastic reviews. I love mine. Use it for digiscoping and for visual. Just remember, some people have said: Do not take the lens out of the cell. Fine to unscrew the cell from the tube if you want to change the position of the mount. You will perhaps want to secure the front plastic lens shade with three small screws, mine kept falling off. Gene

Well, after following this forum for a few months and seeing the excellent results that many people are getting, curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I am taking the plunge and buying a scope. It's a (well) used Orion 80ED, which I think has the "standard" Chinese 80mm f/7.5. Just the basic OTA, no diagonal, finder or eyepieces, which is just fine. I should receive it in about a week, so we'll see how it goes.

Welcome aboard this adventure. You'll not regret with what you'll get. With a properly calibrated scope, your pic would look like as if taken with a good 50mm lens and subject just in front of you. Did you got it off CN?

Fine to unscrew the cell from the tube if you want to change the position of the mount. You will perhaps want to secure the front plastic lens shade with three small screws, mine kept falling off. Gene

Do you have to rotate the cell if you rotate the tube? Doesn't your dew shield came screwed in? My Celestron came as screwed in (about 10 turns) but heavy like a bell. I have since replace it with a PVC pipe and can slide in and out to reverse the "hood" for easy storage and packing.

Did you got it off CN?

No, I got it from Astromart.com. I've been following both Astromart and CN, and Astromart seems to get more advertisements.

Thanks to all for the feedback, I am really looking forward to trying this - I want to compare it against my Nikon 300/4 and TC201 teleconverter.

I've have come close to buying that scope on half a dozen occasions. It's said to be one of the best "apo" refractors for the money. The only reason I picked up an Astro-tech 72-ED instead was for the shorter focal length, which is something I wanted for wider field astrophotography. I've heard the fringing on those ED-80's is virtually non existent under 200x. Amazing for a doublet of that focal ratio, but likely a product of the FPL-53 element. Can't wait to see your images. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back