• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Swaro HD ATS65 scope (1 Viewer)

Daniel Martin

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but has anyone found a suitable adaptor for small cameras and this scope?

I use a Samsung NV3 hand held and have only seen the Swaro version that i feel is very pricey for what it does!

Anyone got any other bright ideas? its a popular scope so cant believe there isnt anything else.

thanks if you can.

Dan... Swaro has several adaptors ..... If you can get your hands on a Swaro DCB.... You have what I regard as the best adaptor option since your camera is attached to adaptor and swings away from eyepiece when you want to use scope solely to find or focus. When ready to take a shot, just swing the adaptor down and all is aligned to take shot. Can't improve upon that design....

Thanks guys - found these.............

Shopping results for swarovski dcb adapter
Swarovski DCB Digiscoping Adapter
£329.00 - Bass and Bligh
Swarovski DCB-S Digital Camera Base inc. Balance Rail ...
£315.00 - Uttings Outdoors

Shopping results for swarovski dca adapter
Swarovski Dca Zoom Digital Camera Adapter
£160 - 6 stores
Swarovski DCA Digiscoping adapter
£169.00 - Bass and Bligh
Swarovski Dca Zoom Adapter for Digiscoping
£160 - 2 stores
Swarovski DCB-A Digital Camera Base inc. Balance Rail ...

obviously the second is chepear but i need to ask them if it will fit the camera as its not clear on the sites. Samsung NV3 is popular as the camera is flat (lens does not poke out even at zoom) and so doesnt touch the lens glass.

Thanks guys - found these.............

Shopping results for swarovski dcb adapter
Swarovski DCB Digiscoping Adapter
£329.00 - Bass and Bligh
Swarovski DCB-S Digital Camera Base inc. Balance Rail ...

Shopping results for swarovski dca adapter
Swarovski Dca Zoom Digital Camera Adapter
£160 - 6 stores
Swarovski DCA Digiscoping adapter
£169.00 - Bass and Bligh
Swarovski Dca Zoom Adapter for Digiscoping
£160 - 2 stores
Swarovski DCB-A Digital Camera Base inc. Balance Rail ...

obviously the second is chepear but i need to ask them if it will fit the camera as its not clear on the sites. Samsung NV3 is popular as the camera is flat (lens does not poke out even at zoom) and so doesnt touch the lens glass.

Daniel, the problem with connecting the DCA to most modern digital compacts, is that they rarely have screw threads around the lens mount. I know this is true of the NV3 as I used to have one. In case you didn't know, the DCA was designed specifically to connect to the camera via a tube type adaptor that used either a bayonet fitting or screw threads around the camera's lens mount.

One way of getting around this is to use an adaptor like the one in the link below. I use one with a Canon S95 to connect it to the DCA, and the camera's lens sits inside the tube part of the adaptor. However, as the NV3 has an internal zoom, I don't think it would work as the camera's lens couldn't get close enough to the scope's eyepiece. Even if it did you would probably get terrible vignetting.

http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Universal_adapter_tube_Canon_Powershot_S95_t2218_5847

The DCB should work fine, but as you say, it's expensive.

There is also another option made by Swarovski, the UCA (also quite expensive):

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Swarovski-Universal-Camera-Adapter/p1032831?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=swarovski%20UCA&utm_campaign=F%20Spotting%20Scopes%20/%20Digiscoping&cm_mmc=google%20Warehouse%20Express%20-%20Binoculars%20%26%20Scopes-_-F%20Spotting%20Scopes%20/%20Digiscoping-_-Swarovski%20Swarovski%20Universal%20Camera%20Adapter%20Uca-_-swarovski%20UCA

Ironically, you could get the DCA, the adapter I linked to, and a new camera for less than the cost of DCB!

EDIT:

Not sure if you're aware but the DCA and UCA are I think designed for best use with the Swaro zooms. I think the DCB should work with any eyepiece.

There are a couple of possible options available here (Focus DA-1 & Opticron Universal):

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/digiscoping_new.html

I can't guarantee either will work with your camera, but might be worth a trip to an In-Focus shop to try them.

Last edited:
I use the DCB with a 20-60x and a Canon s90. Works perfectly.

Comment on DCB... Yes, more expensive but digiscoping is a 'process' ... If you have a normal adaptor that doesn't swing 'up or down' away from eyepiece, you are adding a step to an already busy 'process' ... IE... When using an adaptor, the cdmrra and adaptor are not on the scope eyepiece when you are using the eyepiece to focus initially on a bird. Rather... Your adaptor and camera are on the ground? In your pocket? Not sure.... But then when u are ready to take a shot, you have to pull away from the scope, bend down... Get it out of your pocket etc... And attach. Now, no big deal as many digiscoping like that. But it is another step, a few seconds away from the bird(which might move in the meantime) , and the process of getting camera creates 'Movement' which also can spook some birds.

But with DCB adaptor... It is all one unit attached to the scope with an easy swing option to bring camera in place to snap pic.

You can go both adapters as both work. I am just suggesting the extra dollars save you a vital step in the overall digiscoping process.

Thanks very much guys, I hadn't appreciated quite how much was involved!
It's possible I may need to change the camera - they aren't expensive nowadays.
I will go through your info in detail.
Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back