Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 11th April 2017, 21:29   #1751
Hugh Addlesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmycq View Post
Just a couple on noted birds during a day with the grand-children. My first Osprey sighting of the year, 0915 over the Raemoir fishery, seen from the car. A Red-legged Partridge around Milton of Cullerlie area, Couper's Road not far from Flora's. Is this quite a common bird around here ? A first sighting for me, pulled in to a passing place to allow other traffic through and it flew across the road and landed in the field about 5 yards from my car, quite a striking bird seen that close.
Jim
Red-legs are released in big numbers in the region for shooting, though some do also breed in the wild. There was a small flock at Skene earlier in the year which I'm sure wouldn't have been long out of a pen. Sadly any partridge inland nowadays is far more likely to be a Red-leg than a Grey.
Old Tuesday 16th May 2017, 21:33   #1752
Ben Nevis

Troup Head

I know most locals already know about this Reserve but If anyone visiting the north east of Scotland over the summer,fancy some easy but good birding,then the RSPB Troup Head Reserve near Banff Is well worth a visit.
I spent this morning there and the views of the Gannets are fantastic,along with the Auks and a few Ravens.I'm sure the numbers have grown since my last visit a few years ago.
Old Thursday 18th May 2017, 05:45   #1753
Gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
I spent this morning there and the views of the Gannets are fantastic,along with the Auks and a few Ravens.I'm sure the numbers have grown since my last visit a few years ago.
The numbers of Gannets I've seen offshore, seem to have greatly increased over the last two years.
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 09:30   #1754
Ben Nevis

A single Peregrine youngster made an appearance today at a city centre site.Hopefully more to follow In the next few days.
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 07:46   #1755
Ben Nevis

A second Peregrine youngster has made an appearance this morning.
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 22:13   #1756
ianp234

Lens for DSLR found on clifftop at Fowlsheugh today. If you have lost one please contact me via pm.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 16:46   #1757
Ben Nevis

Osprey fishing successfully at Donmouth In the city this morning.

Another Osprey fishing with success on the Ythan also and a Little Egret was on the burn that runs through Newburgh Golf Course at the Inches Road.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 19:05   #1758
Jimmycq
JayQ

Loch of Skene this evening withh the usual suspects but my first sighting here of Kingfisher. West end, passed me whilst I was standing at waters edge going north to south.

Jim

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 20:52   #1759
Hugh Addlesee

Quote:
Loch of Skene this evening withh the usual suspects but my first sighting here of Kingfisher. West end, passed me whilst I was standing at waters edge going north to south.

Jim
Nice sighting. There have been more records as the population has recovered from the cold winters at the start of the decade. Most have been in late summer to midwinter, probably of dispersing juvs. Yours is the earliest summer record.
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 17:38   #1760
RecoveringScot

More sightings than previously of Common Tern going backwards and forwards between their inland Kirkhill site and the sea this year. I wonder if they're having a better breeding season than average.
Old Monday 24th July 2017, 16:21   #1761
Jimmycq
JayQ

Common or Arctic Tern

At Loch of Skene today, can't decide which !

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080_001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	634093  Click image for larger version

Name:	080_002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	634094  Click image for larger version

Name:	080_003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	634095  

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 14:36   #1762
Hugh Addlesee

Quote:
At Loch of Skene today, can't decide which !

Jim
Looks very much like an Arctic. Nice record. Hope it's lingered for my patch yearlist!
Old Sunday 3rd September 2017, 19:27   #1763
Ben Nevis

A trip today to the Ythan/Slains area,produced a single Greenshank,20 Canada,1 Pink foot and 37 Grey lag Geese from Waulkmill Hide and 9 Ruff on a flooded field opposite Cotehill Loch.
Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 12:29   #1764
RecoveringScot

A post-breeding flock of at least 31 Carrion Crows is at present on rooftops in Annfield Terrace, Aberdeen. I've noticed an increase in the area in the last few years.
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 12:16   #1765
RecoveringScot

Currently steady passage of Thrushes over S. Aberdeen. Mostly Redwing, but with occasional Fieldfare. Saw about 200 Redwing pass in about 3 minutes, in flocks of 10-20.
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 12:28   #1766
RecoveringScot

More Thrushes arriving in a steady stream, with now more Fieldfare appearing. The main stream is roughly over Holburn Road, Aberdeen going west, but the sky is full of groups of thrushes from many directions, average size 15-25. Real migration!
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 13:15   #1767
RecoveringScot

Thrush passage over S. Aberdeen thinning and slowing now but still some groups passing. I must have seen a total of 2-3000 birds go over in the last hour, if not more.
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 19:30   #1768
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoveringScot View Post
Thrush passage over S. Aberdeen thinning and slowing now but still some groups passing. I must have seen a total of 2-3000 birds go over in the last hour, if not more.
Impressive numbers Phil.
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 20:03   #1769
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Impressive numbers Phil.
Certainly the best here for a few years.

About 10 or more years ago I saw an estimated 20,000 (conservative) Fieldfare passing up the Dee. Much to my chagrin the count (which was done in the usual way of timed-block-counting migrants), although I submitted it, was not accepted. All it produced was a rather sarcastic line in the Bird Report which implicitly downgraded the sighting. So I stopped submitting sightings (if they'd queried it I would have understood and backed it up) and have never done so since. And anyway another observer (with whom I had no connection), claimed 100,000 Fieldfare some distance inland around the same time (I think the same day). I thought that there was every chance that was a good record (though perhaps uncorrected for human error). I have never seen so many birds flying at one time as on that day. About 3000 Redwing also went by that day.

Cheers
Old Friday 20th October 2017, 18:53   #1770
nicklittlewood

Quote:
Much to my chagrin the count (which was done in the usual way of timed-block-counting migrants), although I submitted it, was not accepted. All it produced was a rather sarcastic line in the Bird Report which implicitly downgraded the sighting. So I stopped submitting sightings (if they'd queried it I would have understood and backed it up) and have never done so since.
Hi Phil,

Did you ask why the record was not used and did you get a response? I'm guessing it was 2004, perhaps, but can't see anything that strikes me as sarcastic in the Bird Report for that year. It is unfortunate if this has caused you to withold records for the 13 years since. Nobody is obliged to submit bird records to anyone, of course, but if your reason for not doing so is a feeling of being slighted back then, perhaps it is time to give the local bird recording infrastructure another chance. With 70,000 or so records submitted per year, there are always going to be erroneaous reports and I'm sure we don't always get it right, but I'd suggest that observers ask for reasons if they think they've been unfairly treated. If you spend quite a time watching overhead migrants, also consider using Trektellen to put your counts in a national (or international) context.

Cheers

Nick Littlewood (NE Scotland Bird Recorder)

Last edited by nicklittlewood : Friday 20th October 2017 at 19:03.
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 00:10   #1771
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklittlewood View Post
Hi Phil,

Did you ask why the record was not used and did you get a response? I'm guessing it was 2004, perhaps, but can't see anything that strikes me as sarcastic in the Bird Report for that year. It is unfortunate if this has caused you to withold records for the 13 years since. Nobody is obliged to submit bird records to anyone, of course, but if your reason for not doing so is a feeling of being slighted back then, perhaps it is time to give the local bird recording infrastructure another chance. With 70,000 or so records submitted per year, there are always going to be erroneaous reports and I'm sure we don't always get it right, but I'd suggest that observers ask for reasons if they think they've been unfairly treated. If you spend quite a time watching overhead migrants, also consider using Trektellen to put your counts in a national (or international) context.

Cheers

Nick Littlewood (NE Scotland Bird Recorder)
Hi Nick,

No, I didn't ask.

Well the first few years were for that reason (and because a previous record of 6 Pomarine Skuas N at Girdle Ness one October had also not appeared, again without any query (I actually saw the spoons through my scope at 30X), but unfortunately around 2009 my lifelong asthma started to severely worsen and as a result I found it increasingly difficult to go birdwatching as I had in the past. Since I don't drive I used to have to walk fair distances, like from Balnagask to the Coo, and I found that becoming impossible, especially carrying bins, scope and tripod and supplies. Since then my asthma has blossomed into COPD, and I had to give up my job and I now find even short trips into town exhausting, and walking any distance sometimes difficult especially in cold weather (I used to prefer cold weather).

So the number of meaningful records I am able to submit these days is hardly worth the bother. I mostly watch from the house but to tell the truth the weather conditions at migration times in the last couple of years haven't been ideal for vismig when I've had the chance. But I shall certainly submit anything noteworthy in future.

I am about to become an OAP in February so the prospects of things improving overall are not high.

Cheers
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 09:56   #1772
nicklittlewood

Quote:
I mostly watch from the house but to tell the truth the weather conditions at migration times in the last couple of years haven't been ideal for vismig when I've had the chance. But I shall certainly submit anything noteworthy in future.
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for replying here. If vismigging is a significant part of your birding, then I'd suggest that it is well worthwhile getting involved with Trektellen if you haven't already done so. See: http://www.trektellen.nl/?language=english&. There's lots of UK involvement and it is great for putting in context what you are seeing at your own site - for common as well as less common species. Note that records from Trektellen also get transferred to appear on BirdTrack and, as I download BirdTrack records each year for local use, they will also appear in these. So there would be no need to submit records again seperately to me.

As mentioned in the last post, whether or not to submit bird records to a local recorder or other recording scheme is entirely up to the individual, but if there are specific reasons for not doing so over and above inertia, then I'm always happy to discuss further.

Cheers

Nick
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 22:35   #1773
RecoveringScot

It's become clear that there was a massive arrival of thrushes all down the British east coast on the morning of 19th (of which the birds I saw were a mere trickle) Spurn Obs recorded 12,000 Redwing that day and over 1340 Blackbird. I've also received emails from ABZ-Rare Birds about arrivals elsewhere in the NE at the same time.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: