• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for my 1st vintage binos! (1 Viewer)

lledwod

Hi there. I am looking for a little direction in purchasing my 1st pair of 'vintage' binoculars. I have always been a bit of an optics nut but am no collector. I've owned a # of relatively modern roofs and a few porros. For porros I currently own Nikon 8x30 8.3 degree and a B&L 8x36. I've never owned a 7 power and am looking for something classic in 7x50 or 7x35. I'll probably start with 7x35. with a bunch of reading I am leaning towards Tasco, Sears, Jason, or maybe Bushnell (banners?) with Sears Discoverers near the top of the list. Looking to keep the cost down, probably under 100$US but am expecting, or at least looking for a pleasing viewing experience!

Hoping to hear some recommendations.

I believe this is my 1st post, but I have been lurking here for several years.

Jonathan

The Nippon Mikron is a good choice....Its actually a pre Nikon binocular.....available in many different magnifications and weights.....usually single coated optics.....

Last edited:
The Nikon 7x35 9.3* Wide Field model is a very nice binocular. They are often found
on the famous auction site, for under $100. This is the older version, and Wide Field is
on the top plate. Solid build and nice optics. If you do an older Nikon search, they are
referred to on there.
Jerry

The Nikon 7x35 9.3* Wide Field model is a very nice binocular. They are often found
on the famous auction site, for under $100. This is the older version, and Wide Field is
on the top plate. Solid build and nice optics. If you do an older Nikon search, they are
referred to on there.
Jerry

A caution on the pursuit of vintage porros, they often need service, a $100+ proposition, more if you want it done right by someone capable.
A third or more of the ones I bought were sufficiently badly out of whack to need help, starting with the very first one I bought, a 9x35 Nikon.

Cory Suddarth of Suddarth Optical Repair https://suddarthoptical.com
saved several fine glasses for me. Highly recommended.

I am watching a # of 7x35 bins on that auction site, 2 of them are Nikon 7x35 wide field. Can any one tell me if there was a vintage/variation of these that was multi-coated?

As for servicing an older pair of bins, this is something I am prepared to attempt myself if the need arises, not to say my attempts would be successful. With this in mind, and having read through a few threads here I am considering these options at the moment :)

In no particular order

Hoya 10degree 84$
Bushnell featherlight 7.3 degree 170$
Bushnell rangemaster 11 degree. 265$
Carl Wetzlar Imperial 579’ 165$
Carl wetzlar Viermaster 576’. 45$
Jason Statesman No. 138 604’ 88$
Kowa Prominar 10degree 190$
Nikon wide field 9.3degree 114$
Sears Discoverer 6266 578’ 170$
Tasco 116 551’ 65$
Tasco 118 578’ 115$
Tasco Featherweight 500’ 55$

The dollar values are in CND including shipping, which is usually expensive to my location. The prices actually mean little as there is such a wide variation in condition, and some are bin prices while some are starting prices.

Purchasing one or more 7x35 Binoculars is appealing to me as a want, this is not a need as I have 4 perfectly decent bins at the moment ( 8x43 elite, 10x42 elite, 8x36Audubon, and a 7x42 Bushnell Discoverer in the mail). The 7x35 would be for general use and possibly a loaner but more realistically just to scratch the itch!

Also looking to acquire a nice pair of 7x50 with star gazing in mind ……

I tried to buy an old pair of Zeiss from the 30's that were in outstanding condition. Just aging on the original case, otherwise like new. We got within $25 on price, could not come than agreement. Wish I'd of got them:-C

They were actually still a usable pair of binoculars.

Yes, maybe...

You never know until you get them in hand, how usable they will be, epecially from auction sites and the like. Descriptions are often over-rated, and you can only know by buying and trying.

That is why it is so important to have a return policy if they are not suitable, for various reasons.

Even poorly packed binoculars can have their collimation knocked out of whack by just shipping knocks and bumps, if they are not well insulated from this kind of damage.

I once got a pair of early Zeiss glasses from Germany (ca '30's), and even though they showed some wear, they did not get damaged in transit, but were mis-described as having a great view, but in reality, the contrast was horrible-don't know if the silvering on the prisms were terribly degraded, or the haze on the elements were giving such a bad view, not sure which or a combination of both.

After a couple of bad experiences with vintage binocular buys, I quickly converted to the modern stuff, where there is a better chance of finding a good view that with the antiques, unless of course, you plan to restore them yourself, or have them restored by someone capable of that feat for a reasonable sum, then you might seek out those that allow returns, especially, or be prepared to restore them whatever way you can.

I thought the classic Zeiss 8x30 Porros were amazing looking from the pictures, and also the Swift classic Porros too. I have one Swift that needs to be collimated, that I also bought on an auction site-and here it sits since I bought it, even though I was refunded for it in full, since it was not as described either. Too many times this is the case, so be prepared to be disappointed, if you pursue the vintage market.

Yes, the classics are very appealing, but in reality, most lag behind the modern advances made in recent years in delivering an image quality that was not possible from the wayback machine, even if they are pristene.

One example is the new Nikon Aculon binoculars that really have great optics, for such a small price, that once you see how much they deliver for the price, you won't undesrstand why I say this. Sure, I'm an old guy with diminished capacities, in many areas, but I can still see pretty well, and know when I have something good or bad to look through still.

Zeiss jena NVA

A military bino that everyone should have is the Zeiss NVA 7X40 DF, it is heavy but it has a wide field (I have two of them) individual focus and are indestructible. They seem to be rare to find noadays, but can be found in germany,

regards,

dries1

Hi,

when buying old bins to use instead of collect, one should think twice about coatings. Modern multilayer AR coatings are less than 0.5% light loss per surface - compare that to the 4% of uncoated surfaces or 1% for single coated and remember that even simple designs have 10 plus surfaces.

If you have a very good pair which is fully coated, it's probably worth a try, but uncoated is out in my opinion unless we're talking about very special optics.

Best is of course if you can get a pair of classics which is multicoated like CZJ, Nikon late E series or some later soviet models.

Joachim

I am watching a # of 7x35 bins on that auction site, 2 of them are Nikon 7x35 wide field. Can any one tell me if there was a vintage/variation of these that was multi-coated?

As for servicing an older pair of bins, this is something I am prepared to attempt myself if the need arises, not to say my attempts would be successful. With this in mind, and having read through a few threads here I am considering these options at the moment :)

In no particular order

Hoya 10degree 84$
Bushnell featherlight 7.3 degree 170$
Bushnell rangemaster 11 degree. 265$
Carl Wetzlar Imperial 579’ 165$
Carl wetzlar Viermaster 576’. 45$
Jason Statesman No. 138 604’ 88$
Kowa Prominar 10degree 190$
Nikon wide field 9.3degree 114$
Sears Discoverer 6266 578’ 170$
Tasco 116 551’ 65$
Tasco 118 578’ 115$
Tasco Featherweight 500’ 55$

The dollar values are in CND including shipping, which is usually expensive to my location. The prices actually mean little as there is such a wide variation in condition, and some are bin prices while some are starting prices.

Purchasing one or more 7x35 Binoculars is appealing to me as a want, this is not a need as I have 4 perfectly decent bins at the moment ( 8x43 elite, 10x42 elite, 8x36Audubon, and a 7x42 Bushnell Discoverer in the mail). The 7x35 would be for general use and possibly a loaner but more realistically just to scratch the itch!

Also looking to acquire a nice pair of 7x50 with star gazing in mind ……

Hi,

You might be interested in auction #142405609440 on eBay for a "SWIFT SKIPPER MK2 7X50 EXTRA WIDE FIELD (525 FT.@1000 YDS.)"

Swift's most famous series was the 8.5x44 Model 804 Audubon, but right now there doesn't seem to be many at auction.

Ed

This one was made in 1972 by Hiyoshi Kogaku and has a nice 70 deg. apparent field of view.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back