• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera dilemma! (1 Viewer)

mw_aurora said:
I have just started a new thread to try to answer some of the recent usage questions.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=443241#post443241

Probably done before, but this is intended to start from the ground up...rather than make assumptions on knowledge or ability. I hope that others with more explicit technique tips can also add to this!

Cheers Mark.
I've just seen it Mark. An excellent idea and explained far more coherently than my vague ramblings.

Cheers.

Sean

SeanKP said:
I've just seen it Mark. An excellent idea and explained far more coherently than my vague ramblings.

Cheers.

Sean

Thanks and I've just seen your previous two posts...it took me a while to type that lot ;)

Your posts are exactly where I was going, before deciding I had typed enough already!

Thanks,Sean,still not really sure,I guess it could be the different colours in the plumage,as when shots are taken of,dogs,people,buildings etc,with a smaller lens,everything is crystal clear.I guess I will never get the hang of F stops etc,but will go to the thread shown and have a read.

Mark,I have been to your thread and printed off the contents,it must have taken you ages to type all that,many thanks indeed,for trying to help the "technically challenged" of us,it really is appreciated.

salty said:
thanks folks, a little sunshine after work today had me out after red kites.

these shots were on auto, and at around 450mm.

Seeing your shots of Red Kites I was going to say you're going to become competition for Helenol - I was surprised she hadn't commented already but then I see she hasn't been online for over five weeks. Anyone know if she's OK?

Keith Reeder said:
Helen posted a comment in the gallery on the 26th Adey, so she's still about - hopefully that means all is well.

That's good to know - her last 'activity' is recorded as Sept 21st so posting in the gallery obviously doesn't record in one's profile, then.

Keith Reeder said:
Helen posted a comment in the gallery on the 26th Adey, so she's still about - hopefully that means all is well.

I just checked the gallery for Helen (Helenol) .... its says she last posted a photo on the 20th September and also made her last comment about a wren on the same day. Last online 21st September. So, not sure why you think she has been on here Keith.

However, I can confirm she is alive and well ;) .... so no need for anyone to be worried.

I've been using the KM 7D for 7 months now. For bird photography the anti-shake is invaluable. When shooting in the shadows or low light with a slow shutter speed you will need to stabilize the camera either with a tripod, monopod, lens stabilization or KM's anti-shake. Lugging a tripod or monopod can be very tiring. Canon and Nikon lenses with built in stabilization are very expensive and heavy. KM's anti-shake will work with all lenses. I use my Sigma 400/5.6 APO with the anti-shake and it works perfectly. By mistake I used this combo with the anti-shake turned off. All pictures were blurry. I immediately turned the anti-shake back on and then the pictures were flawless. I just bought one of Minolta's "G" zoom lenses. Ths glass is every bit as good as Canon's and Nikon's best...
Pat

Hi Salty
If you go down the second hand route for a long lens just be aware that of the fact that all nikon and only some cannon lens will work on all their respective dslr bodies and at the end off day even a 300 2/8 weighs a lot when you go on holiday.
all the best Peter

DSLR Priorities

I have been shooting for several years, both digitally and with film.
Best advice I ever received is: Buy inexpensive camera such as Rebel. Invest in good glass first such as Canon 300/4 L ($1200) or Nikon equivalent. Glass will definitely outlast the camera. The value of the glass does not depreciate. High resale. Cameras come and go. The quality of image does not vary too much between systems (Nikon, Canon etc.). A 6 mexapixel Nikon is as good as 6 megapixel Canon.

There are many good internet sites that will guide you in your purchase.

DSLR Priorities

I have been shooting for several years, both digitally and with film.
Best advice I ever received is: Buy inexpensive camera such as Rebel. Invest in good glass first such as Canon 300/4 L ($1200) or Nikon equivalent. Glass will definitely outlast the camera. The value of the glass does not depreciate. High resale. Cameras come and go. The quality of image does not vary too much between systems (Nikon, Canon etc.). A 6 mexapixel Nikon is as good as 6 megapixel Canon.

There are many good internet sites that will guide you in your purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back