• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Connecting scope to tripod (1 Viewer)

aegithalos

I'm looking for a way to connect my scope to my tripod that does not involve a quick release plate. I have had these plates for a few years, and have never managed to connect the scope sufficiently tightly to the plate: it always worked loose. In the end, in desperation, I over-tightened the screw and damaged the thread in the scope's foot ... The fundamental problem seems to me to be that a scope that weighs a kilo or so, with perhaps 50cm leverage cannot be attached to something by one screw.

I have a solution involving a bungee cord that actually works quite well, but I am wondering if there is something better out there - I have failed to find it in several searches of various real and online shops.

I don't need a quick release plate. I have one scope and one tripod, and they stay together. If it takes 10 mins to connect and disconnect on the occasions when I fly, that is fine. What I do want is an absolutely rock solid connection. The scope must not move or vibrate by even the merest fraction, relative to the tripod head. Since the scope foot is usually bevelled in some way, I suspect that a solution involving some kind of clamp (and at least two, preferably three or more screws) ought to work. Or maybe a bracket that goes over the scope.

If anyone knows of any product that can do this, I would be extremely grateful ....

My current scope is Kamakura, tripod is Manfrotto, but either might change: I am looking for a general solution.

Cheers,

Keith

You can get a range of thread locking gunks, Loctite make them.

You put them on the thread, screw it in and it gums in up sufficient to prevent gradual loosening but you can still unscrew it if needed, although it can take a bit of effort (or solvent) if it has been on a while.

Hello Keith I had a similar problem in that my quick release plate wasn’t up to the job and it would bounce loose from time to time. My solution was to drill through the front corner of the plate and head then bolt it up. I used a length of threaded rod made from a long bolt tightened with a nut at either end. I was going to drill the opposite corner but the release mechanism is in the way. The rear is secured with a cable tie or at the moment some tape. Its not pretty but it is rock solid!

Attachments

• bf tri bolt.jpg
    bf tri bolt.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 337
Many thanks for those suggestions. I was not aware of the Loctite, and had not thought to look at astro scopes (but have now: those guys really know how to fix something down!). I had considered the 'drill and bolt' solution, but backed off, partly through current lack of a decent vice while I drill holes through fairly expensive kit, and partly through a sense of irritation at needing to do that at all, given the cost of the bits we are talking about. I have tried tape (both insulating and duct), and they work, but the bungee cord is easier to fix/unfix, and always brings the scope back to 'centre' if it does get knocked.

Why is the birding tripod market dominated by these 'quick release plates'? Is there anyone out there for whom speed of changing scope/tripod is the most critical factor?

Cheers,

Keith

Folks this is a common problem, and as suggested it is near impossible to fight the laws of physics in this case the lever effect where the tiniest bit of pressure at the distal end of the scope amounts to massive pressure at the connection point. Not every manufacturer has been as proactive about this, but Bogen Manfrotto (here in the US at least) have recognized & addressed this problem for all of their tripods that accept quick connect plates.

The product is the Bogen "Anti-twist Spotting scope plate" Bogen part
#200 USS

Below is a link to a blog post by US digiscoper Mike McDowell with images:
http://www.birddigiscoping.com/2005/11/3157n-versus-200uss.html

In the image you will see that Bogen/Manfrotto has mounted a ridge that runs parallel to the side of the scope's mounting foot with two nylon-tipped, stainless steel screws on it. You mount the scope to the plate as usual, but then you tighten the screws which put pressure against the side of the mounting foot fore and aft. Follow up by locking the two jam nuts on the screw and your scope will NEVER loosen again! These things are absolutely bomb proof and well worth their price.

Good birding,

Jeff Bouton
Leica Sport Optics
Florida, USA

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the link.

One thing though I do not clearly see; is the ridged plate on the right in the picture in one piece? I mean, I can see the mounting plate underneath that fits in the tripod head allright. But how is this connected to the ridged part on top? The quick release plate on the left in the picture is very similar to what I have, it has a mounting screw and a small retractable pin in front which fits in a small hole in the foot of my Diascope. When I tighten the plate on the scope, this pin automatically falls in the small hole of the foot and any twisting of the scope is impossible that way.

The ridged plate is a fine thing, though, very useful I think, but wouldn't it be much nicer when scope manufacturers would make larger foots to their scopes with two in stead of just one mounting screw thread? This would solve the problem of twisting scopes as well and it would provide an exceedingly solid attachment to the tripod head, for us birders peace of mind when carrying the scope/tripod combination on the shoulder.
The tripod head would have to have two mounting screws to fit such a scope foot, otherwise it would be futile of course. Wouldn't this be something to give some attention in the future or am I making no sense here? I'm not the least bit technological so my proposal may sound a bit daft, but the expensive instruments we all like so much and which we depend on are only attached to the tripod with a single screw now.

Kind regards, Ronald

My ED82 has never been a problem. The quick release shoe has a pin that aligns with a hole in the bottom of the ED82 foot. The hole in the ED82 is a bit larger and it's not a perfect fit, BUT it's never been a problem.

I'm amazed that people think a $50 solution (plus additional shipping costs) is reasonable.

John

My ED82 has never been a problem. The quick release shoe has a pin that aligns with a hole in the bottom of the ED82 foot. The hole in the ED82 is a bit larger and it's not a perfect fit, BUT it's never been a problem.

The extra hole in the original Nikon Fieldscope aligned perfectly and was perfectly sized to receive that extra anti-rotation pin. I don't understand why that video quasi-standard wasn't more widely adopted.

Here are some other solutions that haven't already been mentioned
:
For Bogen/Manfrotto heads that use the 3157 plate (rectangular), you can get the plate described above (200 USS), but I consider it clunky, and I don't like to see the use of rubber in what are supposed to be solid connections. For less money, the 3157NR plate will work nearly as well, especially if you use some Loctite on the thread.

For a while, Bogen was offering custom rotation-proof 3157 type quick release plates for Swarovski, Leica, and perhaps other scopes. They only worked as intended with heads that mount the plate with the long axis perpendicular to the direction the scope points (like the 128RC/3130 head). Don't know if they are still available though--they were never very widely marketed.

An elegant and solid but more expensive solution is to customize your head to use an Arca style quick release system from Really Right Stuff. The Bogen 128LP (formerly 3126) has a long slot that allows attachment of a RRS clamp or lever-release clamp (I recommmend the B2 LLR II) with two or three bolts so it won't rotate. With the addition of the appropriate plate for the scope, you have a rock-solid rotation-proof set-up.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/home.html

--AP

One thing though I do not clearly see; is the ridged plate on the right in the picture in one piece? I mean, I can see the mounting plate underneath that fits in the tripod head allright. But how is this connected to the ridged part on top? The quick release plate on the left in the picture is very similar to what I have, it has a mounting screw and a small retractable pin in front which fits in a small hole in the foot of my Diascope. When I tighten the plate on the scope, this pin automatically falls in the small hole of the foot and any twisting of the scope is impossible that way.

The ridged plate is a fine thing, though, very useful I think, but wouldn't it be much nicer when scope manufacturers would make larger foots to their scopes with two in stead of just one mounting screw thread? This would solve the problem of twisting scopes as well and it would provide an exceedingly solid attachment to the tripod head, for us birders peace of mind when carrying the scope/tripod combination on the shoulder.
The tripod head would have to have two mounting screws to fit such a scope foot, otherwise it would be futile of course. Wouldn't this be something to give some attention in the future or am I making no sense here? I'm not the least bit technological so my proposal may sound a bit daft, but the expensive instruments we all like so much and which we depend on are only attached to the tripod with a single screw now.

Kind regards, Ronald

Ronald,

Following the earlier post, I bought a 200USS plate, and (today being distinctly windy where I live) have been trying it out.

First, your question on how it fits together. There are two pieces: a quick release plate (likely identical to what you already have), and the additional rectangular plate with the two long screws. This long plate is recessed underneath, and the recess takes the ridges on the top side of the QR plate. They fit reasonably snugly. The thing only becomes really tight when assembled. The central screw (supplied, longer than you have already) goes through both plates into the foot of the scope. The rectangular plate goes across the foot, and the screws are tightened against the side of the foot. Because the central screw holds the plate in position, these side screws can really be tightened, so that the rectangular plate is effectively clamped onto the foot. The QR plate is held on to it by that central screw which also holds everything together vertically. Because my scope foot has a damaged female thread (see original post), I used a metal bonding paste in the female thread for the central screw. I also continued with the bungee as a safety precaution (after all, this screw is holding on a piece of kit that costs the wrong side of a thousand nicker and does not bounce ...).

I agree completely with your comments on the single screw. This 200USS piece of kit could also have been produced as a single widget, shaped like a QR plate at the base, instead of two. However, given the inadequacies of present means of connecting scopes and tripod heads, I'm pretty happy with the 200USS. It is now providing a solid means of attachment that cannot twist using metal, so my bungee is now a precaution and not the main item.

I have some sympathy with the disgust expressed at paying 50 bucks for this item: it should not be necessary. However, if one has already paid 1000+ for the scope and latest singing, dancing optics, 100+ for the tripod, it does not really make sense to have it swinging around in the breeze, giving all the optical quality of a 50 buck scope. 50 bucks is painful, but unfortunately necessary to remedy the situation, it seems to me.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks, Keith, you've made it perfectly clear with your description of the 200USS plate.
Seems like an excellent piece of equipment, I can see why you're happy with it.
Enjoy the views!

Best regards, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back