Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 10th November 2011, 21:38   #26
Stonefaction
Yes!

In some respects I've been surprised by the variety of birds that I've seen here since it opened - some of which were my first sightings in Dundee - Wheatear, Common Sandpiper, Osprey, Stock Dove to name a few.
I'm not sure what the place will turn up next, but there is plenty of scope for waders (Avocet was seen before the park was open so isn't on the list) and waterfowl (maybe geese species especially). Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that Owls may be a possibility, and might attempt to see if I can see some around dusk/late afternoon at some point over the winter. Raptors are also a possibility (Peregrines are nearby, but I haven't seen one at the park since it opened) with a few species such as Red Kite, Marsh harrier, Hen Harrier and Merlin not beyond the realms of possibility, though possibly unlikely. Waxwings may pass through, though there is a shortage of berry bearing trees and bushes unfortunately. Think there is some chance of other finches and buntings flocking too, and I'm looking forward to seeing what migrants arrive next Spring. Last Saturday's visit showed me that the place hasn't run out of species yet, so here's hoping for lots more, and fingers crossed more local birders will pop in for a visit and maybe add to the species list in the process.
Old Sunday 20th November 2011, 10:24   #27
Stonefaction
Yes!

For anyone interested, there is a "Friends of Riverside Nature Park" meeting being held at 6pm on Wednesday evening (23rd November) at the Botanic Gardens in Dundee (in the Education Centre).
Poster here....
http://frasermacpherson.files.wordpr...rnp-poster.pdf

Leaflet (with map) here....
http://www.dundeecommunityspirit.org...RE_leaflet.pdf

I'm going to try and get along to the meeting and see what is being said.
Old Sunday 20th November 2011, 19:52   #28
Stonefaction
Yes!

Lack of other options meant that a visit to the park was on the agenda today, but once again what might have been more of the same turned out to be a really good visit, despite the lack of bird photo opportunities (though got a few nice photos of a visiting vintage aircraft - a Cessna 170), and I didn't even make it round half the park.

The tide was on its way back out when I arrived and the usual selection of waders, crows and gulls were out on the mud. Lots of Teal around too, but no Green Winged Teal (I have a feeling that might be the first proper rarity to show up on my list from here). I spooked a Buzzard, which flew out over the bay, spooking some of the waders and ducks but everything soon settled back down. The windless conditions meant that birds way out in the river could be seen quite well, and I managed to add two new birds to the patch list when I spotted a couple of pairs of Goldeneye and Red Breasted Mergansers a good bit out. I could just hear what I was sure were Whooper Swans but I couldn't see them at all. Until I moved a bit further south, and there were 4 of them off the end of the outflow pipe. Another patch tick. Had a mixed flock of Fieldfare and Redwing go over westwards, and a small group of Pink Feet flew round the bay. Curlews flew round into the bay from the direction of the airport and something caused the Dunlin to circle round en masse (around 200 or so).

Got talking to a dog walker with a pair of binoculars for the next hour or so about the birds at the park and nearby. As we chatted a flock of Linnets, Chaffinches and Goldfinch flew around sporadically behind us in the dump area. Meadow Pipit were also around in small numbers. Cormorant and Grey Heron were out on the pipe. A Sparrowhawk tangled with a Pied Wagtail which escaped. A Great Black Backed Gull flew into the bay and a skein of 150 or so Pink Feet came in from the north but wouldn't settle for more than a few seconds at a time before heading off towards Kingoodie.

Heard a couple of Wagtails in the dump area, so had a wee sneaky peek over the grassy banking into an area with a puddle where a Pied Wagtail and a Grey Wagtail were wandering around the edges together. The light was beginning to go, so we headed for home. A pretty decent visit again.

79. Whooper Swan
80. Red Breasted Merganser
81. Goldeneye

Last edited by Stonefaction : Sunday 20th November 2011 at 19:55.
Old Monday 12th December 2011, 23:20   #29
kawwauser

there was quite a lot of smaller birds showing today here today ,now that the leaves are gone they are easier to see,i counted 15 dunnocks 6 of them were feeding in a group consisting of chaffinches/blackbirds with 2 robins,a group of long tailed tits were feeding in the trees next to the hide and were at times within 7 feet away,it,s a pity no feeders have been put up here,a half coconut was in place last year,in front of the hide redshank/curlew/common sandpiper were feeding,teals were resting up,goldfinches/linnets were feeding around at the scree area and a buzzard was flying nearby,other birds seen were heron/blue tit/great tit/carrion crow/pinkfoots/fieldfares/bh gulls/mallards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ltt2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	360569  Click image for larger version

Name:	ltt3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	360570  Click image for larger version

Name:	ltt4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	360571  Click image for larger version

Name:	linnit5.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	360572  Click image for larger version

Name:	dunnock3.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	360573  

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:19   #30
Stonefaction
Yes!

My first visit for a wee while this morning. Paths very icy and not too many birds around. Siskin by the car park, a Buzzard in the trees to the north, small groups of Greylags and Pinkies over. Dunlin, Redshank, Teal and Mallard out in the bay, with a few Curlew, Lapwings and Oystercatchers dotted about. Mute Swans at the Lochan and a Dipper on the burn out front of the hide.

82. Greylag Goose
83. Dipper
Old Wednesday 28th December 2011, 01:57   #31
kawwauser

i had a walk around the park 2.30pm tues,the weather was very strange, there was no wind the water was calm insects were flying it felt like early spring,i work as a taxi driver and at 4.00am tues my passengers were struggling to get in my car with the wind,i ruled out any birding based on this which is why i ended up going out at out at 2.30pm ,virtually no smaller birds ,chaffinch/robin,3 perched buzzards all giving relativy close views,one was feeding on the grass mound right in front of the car park,a large group of redshanks were feeding in front of the hide with some dunlin in the middle of them,teals/ bh gulls were also here, 3 herons were resting up plus cormorants.pinkfoots were flying over all without a sound,with light running out i headed over to tayport parking at the bus turning point and walking towards tentsmuir forest ,i was looking for woodcock here, from the car i had widgeon/shellduck/meadow pipit/carrion crow,a small flock of small birds in the forest feeding on heather then flying up to the canopy had me stumped any ideas ?2 woodcocks flying above were very welcome on my return
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b7.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	362229  Click image for larger version

Name:	h7.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	362230  Click image for larger version

Name:	cc7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	362231  

Old Wednesday 28th December 2011, 08:59   #32
markgrubb
Leading a life of quiet desperation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawwauser View Post
,a small flock of small birds in the forest feeding on heather then flying up to the canopy had me stumped any ideas
When doing winter atlas tetrads I've come across lesser redpolls feeding on heather seeds adjacent to woodland so they could be a possibility

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 28th December 2011, 09:20   #33
Capercaillie71

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgrubb View Post
When doing winter atlas tetrads I've come across lesser redpolls feeding on heather seeds adjacent to woodland so they could be a possibility
Bullfinches do the same in winter, but their white rumps should have been obvious
Old Saturday 31st December 2011, 17:08   #34
Stonefaction
Yes!

Had my final visit of the year this afternoon. Unfortunately the tide was well out when I got there, but there was enough of interest around the park to keep me occupied for a few hours. Came in from the eastern end and saw a few finches around in the first area of bushes when you get into the park. A male Chaffinch and a Brambling (my first of this winter, and a first for the park list). Heard a call and looked up to see a Great Spotted Woodpecker fly over. Next up was a Buzzard over the open 'field' to the north of the car park. A Mistle Thrush and about a dozen Fieldfares were near the dump, but flew into the trees by the downhill section of path to the 'fields'. A couple of Goldcrests in the trees behind there were next bird of interest on the list. No sign of any Dippers from the hide but almost managed to miss a group of Greylags over the far side of the bay near the houses. A Buzzard was perched on a fencepost by the railway line but was spooked by a train, and flew down onto the mud where it appeared to be scavenging on something. A small group of Siskins were feeding in the trees by the hide, but the light (or lack of) was making them tricky to pick out. Out on the mud there were the usual Redshanks, Oystercatchers, Dunlin and Curlew, plus a small flock of Bar Tailed Godwits.
Herring Gull, Black Headed Gull and a couple of Common Gulls plus a couple of hundred Teal made up the supporting cast on the mud. A Grey Wagtail flew over, and three Meadow Pipits were seen at the top of the hill. A skein of Pink Feet flew upriver. A not bad total of 34 species.

84. Brambling

Looking forward to seeing what the first half of 2012 brings to 'my patch', and hope to somehow get the list to 100 species in the first year. 16 species to see between now and June - I think it will be a struggle, but as the park keeps surprising me, I'm ruling nothing out. Hopefully more birders will pop by for a visit and maybe add to the list. Happy New Year and good birding for 2012.
Old Saturday 31st December 2011, 17:23   #35
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

A Happy New Year to you too Barry.

Maybe, we'll manage to get there on the Bash at the end of Jan, so find some nice birds for us please.

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th January 2012, 22:58   #36
Stonefaction
Yes!

First visit of the year to my "patch" this afternoon. Not a classic but still managed to see 32 species somehow. Tide and sun were both against me with the tide being well out and the sun creating silhouettes of the birds out on the mud. Nothing new to add to the list though.
Full species list (in order of appearance)....
Carrion Crow, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Pied Wagtail, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Wren, Greylag, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Teal, Jackdaw, Cormorant, Shelduck, Dunlin, Meadow Pipit, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Great Black Backed Gull, Grey Heron, Lapwing, Blackbird, Robin, Bar Tailed Godwit.

Did have a look towards the airport from then hill in the hope of maybe an owl at dusk, but no luck on that front. The bird-scarer did put up a small flock of Lapwings and Curlews plus some Starlings and two Buzzards that weren't bothered when the bird-scarer landrover drove past. Took a few flares to get the birds to move.
Old Wednesday 18th January 2012, 22:59   #37
Stonefaction
Yes!

First visit of the year to my "patch" this afternoon. Not a classic but still managed to see 32 species somehow. Tide and sun were both against me with the tide being well out and the sun creating silhouettes of the birds out on the mud. Nothing new to add to the list though.
Full species list (in order of appearance)....
Carrion Crow, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Pied Wagtail, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Wren, Greylag, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Teal, Jackdaw, Cormorant, Shelduck, Dunlin, Meadow Pipit, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Great Black Backed Gull, Grey Heron, Lapwing, Blackbird, Robin, Bar Tailed Godwit.

Did have a look towards the airport from then hill in the hope of maybe an owl at dusk, but no luck on that front. The bird-scarer did put up a small flock of Lapwings and Curlews plus some Starlings and two Buzzards that weren't bothered when the bird-scarer landrover drove past. Took a few flares to get the birds to move.
Old Friday 27th January 2012, 21:53   #38
Stonefaction
Yes!

Well, Andy Murray's epic tennis match put paid to my plans to venture a little further afield, so I spent the afternoon at a very quiet Riverside. Lovely day, but the sun made viewing birds in the bay difficult.
The afternoon started well with a Buzzard seen circling from the bus stop (near the two football grounds), just as the bus appeared at the start of my journey.

Once I got to the park, the trees seemed almost completely empty with hardly any small birds even heard, let alone seen. Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon and Herring Gull all flew over, and 3 male Teal were on a partially frozen lochan.

At the hide, the tide was almost all the way in, with a single Pink Footed Goose by the sewage pipe. There were other geese further over in the bay, but they lifted before I got a good view. Not many waders around, just Redshanks. Lots of Gulls, mostly Black Headed with a few Common Gulls and quite a few Herring Gulls. A Robin was in the bushes in front of the hide, and a couple of Blue Tits were feeding in the trees behind.
A Buzzard was in a tree overlooking the bay, and a Meadow Pipit in a tree further along the path near the viewpoint was obviously on sentry duty, as when I tried to get a closer view it lifted, followed by maybe 10 others from the grass at the top of the hill.

Sat at the viewpoint as the sun began to set, with several flocks of Oystercatchers low over the river. A Grey Wagtail flew over calling as it went, and a Shelduck flew out from the bay and across the river. A Buzzard being harassed by Crows near the end of the airport spooked a Grey Heron which flew a short distance before settling down again. A small flock of Curlews moved from the perimeter of the airport to nearer the bay to roost, and a few Starlings headed towards Invergowrie.

Highlight of the day was a fleeting glimpse of a Fox as the Crows made it feel unwelcome as it passed close to a group of them. Only 19 species of bird seen though, with several of the usual suspects absent completely.
Old Tuesday 31st January 2012, 00:20   #39
kawwauser

i had a quick walk around the park in the drizzle at 10.00 am monday,still very quiet in the trees/bushes,1 robin heard calling,blackbird,chaffinch seen, a buzzard was being harrassed by carrion crows near the car park,in the bay redshanks/curlews/oystercatchers were feeding,lots of teals (mainly males)were resting in the channels,4 shellducks,1 heron nearby,1 pinkfoot was wandering about on top of the hill ,i saw the fox up here last week,it was right out in the open looking down on me,it was a very frosty day and i had my gloves on by the time i got them off the fox had bolted ,would have made a great pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pff1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	367255  Click image for larger version

Name:	pff2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	367256  Click image for larger version

Name:	tls1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	367257  

Old Tuesday 7th February 2012, 00:37   #40
kawwauser

i had a walk around 10.30 today,at the car park long tailed tits were flirting about the trees chaffinches were heard and seen nearby, woodpidgeons/buzzards were flying overhead,dunnocks,robins,blue tits on the path leading towards the hide,1 stock dove flew over the hide,in the bay,6 shellducks/5 pinkfoots/teals/curlew/lapwing/oystercatcher/dunlin/redshank/carrion crow/jackdaw plus the usual gulls,1 song thrush on the path nearer the dumping area plus 2 unitentified flying birds seen,lots of plane activity today it felt like a plane was taking off every 30 secs, some thoughtfull person has dumped a bed in the car park but they did take the time to stack it rather than throw it about
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bed.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	368357  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7165.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	368358  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7170.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	368359  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7217.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	368360  

Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 20:33   #41
Stonefaction
Yes!

Slightly belated report from Monday 13th. Popped in after work for 45 mins or so. Path at Invergowrie end was exceedingly muddy with the grass along the path edges being the chosen route for increasing numbers of visitors it appears. Also an increase in unbagged, but left lying around, dog crap especially along towards the lochan. A couple of litter bins have been added at the car park too, which hopefully will be used if required.
Birdwise, almost no small birds around - Blackbird heard and a single Pied wagtail flew east (probably towards the roost near Discovery Point). Lots of gulls out in the bay but too far away and against the light to pick out anything other than the usual three of Herring, Common and Black Headed. Shelduck starting to appear again in reasonable numbers. Mallard and plenty of Teal also. Only Waders seen were Redshank, Curlew and Oystercatcher. A single Buzzard flew over the bay spooking most of the birds there. Both Feral and Wood Pigeon flew over, and there were a small group of Carrion Crows sitting around on the fenceposts. Hopefully more around next visit.
Old Sunday 26th February 2012, 23:46   #42
Stonefaction
Yes!

A visit from around 1130 till 1510 produced a decent amount of species though once again none in great numbers.

Added 2 birds to my yearlist in the shape of a couple of Lesser Black Backed Gulls in the bay and an overflying Skylark seen from the hide flying in the direction of Invergowrie. Heard it calling and managed a photo to confirm my ears weren't deceiving me.

Not having a scope with me caused a few problems with another possible for the yearlist. The light was pretty poor, being overcast and with a cold wind in my face, and holding binoculars steady proved to be quite tricky. Saw what looked like quite a small-ish Curlew, in the company of a flock of Redshanks, with an eye stripe, a dark crown and what appeared (on a couple of poor photos) to be a crown stripe. The beak appeared quite long for Whimbrel, and when it took off the outer wings appeared to be all dark on the best photo I got. Other photos just muddied the issue even further with the legs appearing to protrude behind the tail and the outer wing being less dark. I put word out on the local text grapevine as a possible Whimbrel (just in case) but reviewing the photos tonight on the PC, I think a Curlew with a faint crown stripe is the likelier ID.

Other birds seen included 4 Black tailed Godwits, 2 Pink Footed Geese (1 with a bit of polythene bag over its bill), 5 Buzzards, a couple of singing Goldcrests, and a small group of Long Tailed Tits. Shelduck, Teal, Mallard (including a very pale buff coloured female) and a couple of drake Goldeneye were out in the bay. Lots of Black Headed Gulls, plus a few Common Gulls and plenty Herring Gulls. Still no sign of any white winged Gulls in the bay (though most are out of binocular range across the bay - a decent scope would be a big help). Also had 3 Bullfinches feeding on buds together. Carrion Crows, Jackdaws, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Curlew, Dunlin (3 at first joined by another 30 or so), a few Goldfinches, a few Meadow Pipits near the top of the hill, Robin, Wren, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, and a Siskin made up the rest of the list.
Old Tuesday 28th February 2012, 12:05   #43
Herring_gull

Hi guys,

My apologies if this is not the correct thread to post in, but I wanted to ask a question and I'm not sure where to put it, and time is of the essence!

I live in Dundee city centre, right behind the old Wishart church, I feed my local birds every day, so I'm regularly looking out the window to see what the little guys are up to.
This morning I spotted something I didn't recognise at all, so after a bit of research I think our visitor is a grey partridge.....

At first we had no idea where this guy could have come from let alone how he could get back, we found this thread looking online, and we think this guy may be from the Riverside nature park, it's been very windy in Dundee this week, and we live downwind of the park, about 4-5 miles.....

He is clearly not in an enviroment that is familiar to him/her (I haven't been able to see the breast to work out if it's he or she) but is well-hidden for now, off the ground on a ledge at the back of the old church. We don't have any cats around here either, but I don't think he's going to be able to get some on his own so I'm not sure what to do?

I will pop out to Tesco and throw some nice seed mix up on the ledge for now, but I think someone needs to catch him if they can and return him home....

In the meantime here are some pics, one is a bad zoom in the other shows you the location he is hiding in.....this is the best my camera can do but hopefully it's enough to be able to help ID him?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	371657  Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	371658  
Old Tuesday 28th February 2012, 12:46   #44
delia todd

Hi Herring_gull and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I would think this bird is probably looking around for a mate and somewhere to nest. Certainly, give him some seed mix, but I'd just keep an eye on him for a few days and hopefully he'll fly off and look for somewhere more suitable.

It could have come from Riverside, but there are a few other pockets of countryside round about where they occur, even across the river in Fife.

Please keep us informed of what he's up to. If he's still there in a week, we may have to think of some other action to take.

D

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 28th February 2012, 15:55   #45
Herring_gull

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
Hi Herring_gull and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I would think this bird is probably looking around for a mate and somewhere to nest. Certainly, give him some seed mix, but I'd just keep an eye on him for a few days and hopefully he'll fly off and look for somewhere more suitable.

It could have come from Riverside, but there are a few other pockets of countryside round about where they occur, even across the river in Fife.

Please keep us informed of what he's up to. If he's still there in a week, we may have to think of some other action to take.

D
Hi Delia, thank you for the warm welcome! :)

He is a 'he' I managed to spot his dark breast feathers (I've never seen a grey partridge before let alone one here!)

I've tried to take another picture of him, holding some binoculars infront of my camera.....it's a slight improvement....

Anyway, I got some seeds for him, but he got startled when I was chucking them over and he flew off, heading towards the Overgate! At least he seems in good shape, so I hope he's off home to somewhere much nicer than the moss-covered concrete shelf out back.
Still, the local sparrows found him a curiosity and kept approaching him in little groups, bobbing their tails in apprehension!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	371688  
Old Tuesday 28th February 2012, 16:16   #46
delia todd

Hi again HG, that really is rather good news, isn't it.

My gosh, though, biniscoping! That's an art I never perfected... well gave up after the first attempt You did well.

D

Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 22:04   #47
Stonefaction
Yes!

Took a wee wander round the park this afternoon and saw 31 species in all. Started with Song Thrush calling at the eastern end of the park. Chaffinch in the trees by the road in, and a small group of Woodpigeons feeding in the field. A Buzzard flew into the trees from the west. A little further into the park, a Blue Tit was in the trees. Herring Gull and Curlew flew over, and a Blackbird noisily flew off. A vocal group of 5 Oystercatchers circled over the airport runway before dropping down into the grass.

Robin and Dunnock were in the bushes as the rain came on again, and a skein of Pink Footed Geese headed north disappearing into the low clouds. Spooked a male Sparrowhawk which flew off low and into the trees near the car park. A Goldfinch sang from the top of a bush and was joined by another Chaffinch.

Round at the lochan there were a number of Teal, and Coal Tit, Great Tit and 2 Long Tailed Tits were hunting through the bushes that run along the side of the path. Black Headed Gulls and a group of 5 Lesser Black Backed Gulls headed north towards Ninewells.

In the bay, a few Curlews could be seen quite far out on the mud and there were a few small groups of gulls, including Common Gulls, bathing and roosting by the burn. A single Great Black Backed Gull flew over. Mallards and a few Shelduck were dotted around and there were plenty Teal and Redshanks also. A Cormorant was seen offshore near the end of the pipe. 3 Black Tailed Godwits were feeding on the mud and a small flock of Dunlin were seen flying low out near the river. The bird scarer at the airport put up a small flock of Starlings and as I headed back towards the car park area the male Sparrowhawk lifted from the compost piles and flew north towards the Lochan.
Old Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:43   #48
Stonefaction
Yes!

A wee trip round the park after work yesterday (Monday) produced 24 species in all. Nothing new unfortunately. The tide was in so not as many birds around in the bay. Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull and a Lesser Black Backed Gull were on the water. Teal and Mallard were nearer the burn mouth, as did a couple of Shelducks. A roosting flock of Redshanks with 4 Black tailed Godwits mingled with Oystercatchers on the rocks along the side of the bay.

Song Thrush, Yellowhammers (small flock of maybe 10 birds) and a couple of Long Tailed Tits were in the hedge along by the Lochan. More Teal on the Lochan, and a flock of Carrion Crows and Jackdaws were drinking and bathing at a smaller pool nearby. A flock of Curlews were lifted by the bird scarer at the airport firing off flares. A Cormorant was seen flying down the Tay, and a Grey Heron flew into roost in the bay. Woodpigeons and Feral Pigeons both seen in small numbers.

A small flock of Linnets were around the west end of the compost area on the fence. Two Pied Wagtails were on the "field" north of the car park. Other birds seen were Blackbird, Chaffinch and Robin.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2012, 20:26   #49
Stonefaction
Yes!

Another Monday late afternoon wander yesterday after work. The tide was a bit far out and there weren't great amounts of birds in the bay. Teal were close in to the railway line along the edge of the burn/pipe. A couple of Shelduck nearby then a mixed group of Gulls - Herring Gulls, Common Gulls, Black Headed Gulls and an increasing number of Lesser Black Backed Gulls. A few Mallards a bit further downstream and Redshank, Oystercatcher and a single Black Tailed Godwit feeding on the mud. A few Curlew also around. carrion Crow, Feral Pigeon and Jackdaw also in the area of the pipe. Mute Swan and Teal on the Lochan and a Grey Heron was spooked from the field by a dog-walker.

Not too many smaller birds around (quite windy and overcast). Blackbird, Long Tailed Tit, Grey Wagtail (pair) plus a couple of overflying Starlings were about the sum total except for a couple of male Greenfinches singing and also a spot of display flight from one. Heard Wren, Blue Tit and Robin but didn't see any of them. A Yellowhammer was singing unseen near the Lochan.

Only raptor seen was one Buzzard low over the field towards the dump.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2012, 20:54   #50
Archibald D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
Have decided to start a seperate thread for Riverside Nature Park, Dundee.

For those that don't know, it's a council run site built on landfill ground, next to the City dump and sandwiched between Dundee Airport and Invergowrie Bay. It offers decent views into Invergowrie Bay (although the "hide" is only useful when the tide is almost fully in), and has a mix of potential habitats for a range of birds.

I'll start with a list of birds that I've seen since it opened to the public on June 18th this year, and as and when others (and me) see new birds here, they can be added to the list and we can see how many different species we can see from/in the park.

Hopefully others will see that it is actually worth a visit and add their own reports.

(Avocet and Peregrine have both been seen here this year, but before the park opened, so won't put them on the list).
! used to live in a smallholding in Longforgan which is not so far from your reserve, we at that time had free access to Castle Huntley long befor it became a penal establishment, I remember being told that the quarry near the shore in Invergowrie supplied stone for the building of Berlin, will of course be keeping a interested eye on your blogs

Good birding , Dougie
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: