Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2012, 22:11   #51
Stonefaction
Yes!

Thanks. :-) Glad that folk are reading these posts.

Made another visit this afternoon after work. The tide was just starting to head back out when I got there at about 4.20. Redshanks were around the burn mouth on the wet mud, with a few Teal in the water in front of the hide as well as a pair of Shelduck. Feral Pigeon flew over, and Herring Gulls were out in the bay. A small flock of Carrion Crows with a few Rooks were on the hill.

I decided to walk via the Lochan first rather than out along the edge of the bay. A pair of Long tailed Tits were in the bushes at the western end, and a Yellowhammer was in the same area. More Teal and a pair of Mallards on the Lochan plus a single Black Headed Gull and a Pied Wagtail at the edge. Chaffinch singing in the bushes and a single Stock Dove flew over. A flock of around 20 Linnets and 10 or so Starlings plus 2 Oystercatchers were feeding on the 'fields' near the car park. Two Buzzards drifted over and a Kestrel was seen distantly hovering over the airport. Robin, Dunnock, Goldfinch and Blackbird were also around in one of the small wooded areas, as were other finches which went unidentified as they flew off before I got a good look at them.

Blue Tits were in the trees at the car park and a Skylark sprung up from behind the trees and climbed higher into the blue sky singing away. As I walked round towards the bay, a pair of Meadow Pipits tangled in the air (hard to say what purpose this served). A young Grey Heron flew up from the compost area. Almost didn't spot a single Goose on the side of the fenced off area to the south of the path. Looked like a relatively long necked Pink Footed Goose with a larger pink bill than I would expect on a Pinkie (hardly any black on the bill either). Shape wise the bill was more like a Bean Goose but the leg and bill colour was wrong for Bean Goose. The back was also rather grey, so I suspect it was a Pinkie with a wee bit of something else in the mix (domestic goose?). Either way I think it is an injured bird which I also saw a few weeks ago making its way across the mud. A few Jackdaws flew over rather noisily.

The tide was a bit further out by this time and Curlew and Lesser Black backed Gulls were seen in the bay. A couple of Woodpigeons and a steady stream of gulls (still no white-wingers) coming into roost in the bay completed the list for the day. A single male Kestrel was circling above the hide as I headed for my bus home.
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 23:08   #52
kawwauser

i had a walk about the park at 9.45 am this morning,unbeliavably warm,1 sparrow hawk/buzzards/1 skylark/3 male yellowhammers/linnets/robins/dunnocks/starlings/blue tits/woodpigeons/feral pigeons/meadow pipits/chaffinch/carrion crows/blackbirds were seen walking along the paths,the lochan had some teals on it and some resting birds were on the grass,shellducks/redshanks/curlews/1 lbb gull/bh gull in the bay 4 unidentified small brown jobs in the trees ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowhammer.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	375979  Click image for larger version

Name:	teals.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	375980  Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbird.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	375981  Click image for larger version

Name:	shellducks.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	375982  Click image for larger version

Name:	pigeons.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	375983  

Last edited by kawwauser : Monday 26th March 2012 at 23:10.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st March 2012, 22:12   #53
Stonefaction
Yes!

Sunny day today though not as warm as through the week had been, so headed down to the park around lunchtime for a few hours of slow wandering round. 35 species of bird seen.

Blackbird - a few pairs around. Black Headed Gulls - small number in the bay. Blue Tit - a few in the trees. Buzzard - two circling over the "fields" a couple of times. Carrion Crow - dotted around the park with double figures down on the mud. Chaffinch - seemed to be everywhere around the park, singing or at least calling from most of the treed areas. Chiffchaff - heard a couple of them calling as I crossed the road to get to the park and managed to see, and photograph, one. Good to see them back. Common Gull - a couple of them on the mud with the other gulls. Cormorant - just the one seen out on the pipe. Tide was out so most of the birds were distant . Curlew - distant views mostly but their distinctive shape makes them easy to pick out. One bird in front of the hide feeding along the side of the burn.

Dunnock - a few singing in the trees but mostly unseen, one seen feeding on the ground by the car park. Goldfinch, just one bird seen in trees near eastern end of the park. Great Tit - heard more than I seen, one in trees at car park and one other. Greenfinch - display flight from trees near car park. Grey Heron - two out in the bay by the pipe. Herring Gull - probably the most numerous bird in the bay (along with Redshanks). Jackdaw - a few birds down on the mud and on pipe with Carrion Crows.

Lesser Black backed Gull - at least 4 or 5 in with the Herring Gulls at their bathing point (first bend in the burn). Linnet - small flock in the compost area (probably around 10 birds). Long Tailed Tit - two feeding in pines at car park. Mallard - a few out at the mouth of the burn. Meadow Pipit - at least 11 on the slopes of the hill, and in lone tree on western slope down from viewpoint. Mute Swan - one ringed bird flew in as I was leaving - looked to be headed for the Lochan.

Oystercatcher - a few birds calling noisily over a couple of times. Only 1 seen out on the mud. Pied Wagtail - one flying over the fields. Redshank - still easily the most numerous wader in the bay. Numbers of the other species are dropping noticably. Robin - lots of singing birds dotted around the park. Feral Pigeon - a few at the pipe and flying over. Rook - just one seen overflying.

Shelduck - a few pairs out in the bay feeding on the mud. Siskin - one seen in trees at car park. Skylark - a few singing high in the sky mostly above the airport. Teal - 15 at the Lochan. Woodpigeon - a couple of small groups flew westwards. Yellowhammer - one at eastern end, and one drinking at the Lochan.
Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 22:07   #54
Stonefaction
Yes!

Took a walk down to Riverside after work tonight. The full list of species seen was Blackbird - a couple of pairs around, Black Headed Gull - out in the bay, quite a few now with full hoods, Bar-tailed Godwit - flock of around 50 birds flew in as the tide receded. Buzzard - on mewing but unseen, another over later, Carrion Crow - the usual flock, Chaffinch - singing all around the park, Common Gull - a few in the bay, Curlew - one feeding in the mud near the hide.

Dunnock - one in hedge by the Lochan, Goldfinch - one with flock of Linnets in eastern 'fields'. Greemfinch - one singing near east end of park. Grey Heron - one asleep on pipe in front of hide. Herring Gull - most numerous gull in the bay. Jackdaw - a few birds over from Ninewells direction, Lesser Black Backed Gull - at least 6 in the bay, Linnet - small flock in east end 'fields'. Long Tailed Tit - 2 feeding and bathing in bushes at car park, Mallard - a few pairs in the bay. Meadow Pipit - just one seen near the hill, Mute Swan - 2 in the bay. Oystercatcher - small numbers in bay and a pair feeding in 'field' north of car park.

Pied Wagtail - 2 in fields and another in the compost area, Pink Footed Goose - the injured bird still out beyond the fence at southeast 'corner' of path network, Redshank - still reasonable numbers feeding along water's edge as tide went out, Robin - a few birds singing, Feral Pigeon - a few around, Shelduck - at least a dozen roosting to south of compost area, Skylark - a few singing above the airport, Starling - small group feeding in fields, Teal - double figures at Lochan, Woodpigeon - a few around, Yellowhammer - 3 in hedge near Lochan.

On my way down to the park I dropped by the path network behind the hospital through the trees (sign-posted as Ninewells Arboretum) where at least one Chiffchaff was heard but not seen, and Blue Tit, Blackbird, Jackdaw were seen. Best bird seen however was a first for the hospital grounds for me - a nice Jay which I saw fly into a large tree where I had a decent view through binoculars before it flew off towards the big old house.

Last edited by Stonefaction : Thursday 5th April 2012 at 22:25.
Old Friday 6th April 2012, 23:58   #55
Stonefaction
Yes!

A year ago this weekend (Saturday April 9th) 6 Avocets turned up in Invergowrie Bay. I didn't see them, and only heard about them the following day, so I'm hoping that they put in an appearance again this year. Fingers crossed. If anyone should happen to see them, please post in here ASAP. Thanks.
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 16:34   #56
shedboy71

Paid the first visit today with my oldest lad (5). Got the timing wrong as the tide was quite far out.

Saw a few species such as Teal, Wigeon, Mute Swan, Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Shelduck, Curlew. Nothing to add to the impressive list above but i think we'll be visiting more often, makes a change from Templeton Woods, Crombie and Monikie.
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 21:33   #57
Stonefaction
Yes!

A wee bit of catching up to do for me.....

9th April

Testing out a new lens (for taking to work with me when planning on visiting RNP) I headed down to the park around 2pm. A few minutes in the park and down came the rain. Heavy rain. Thankfully I managed to shelter behind a hedge and stayed dry. Not a huge amount of birds around, and very few chances to give the lens a decent workout. Birds seen were - Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Peregrine (at last! - one pass over the bay - a new patch tick), Pink Footed Goose, Redshank, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Starling, Teal, Woodpigeon.

85. Peregrine
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 21:47   #58
Stonefaction
Yes!

14th April

A short 30 mins visit on Saturday morning turned out quite well, with a new patch tick and a bird for the yearlist too. Only 22 species seen but a decent selection of birds. - Bar Tailed Godwit (60+), Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Common Gull, Curlew, Goosander (1 female), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll (year tick), Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Oystercatcher, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Shoveler (new patch tick - a pair just offshore at the northwest 'corner' of the path network), Starling, Teal, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer.

Surprised to see so many Bar Tailed Godwits this far up river. Normally a few Black Tailed Godwits around but this flock of Bar Taileds has been around a few times lately. Interesting to get both species at the same site.

86. Shoveler
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 22:03   #59
Stonefaction
Yes!

16th April

Paid the park another visit after work, but with the tide well out I wasn't expecting too much. A fairly standard list although a few nice birds mixed in as well. 25 species - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit (4), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull (1), Curlew, Goosander (1 female), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll (4 - probably the same ones I saw on Saturday by the car park), Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Skylark, Starling, Stock Dove (2), Swallow (2 - passing through heading north to the west of the lochan), Teal, Woodpigeon.

Shedboy71 - good to see someone else paying the park a visit to look at the wildlife (makes a nice change from dog walkers whose 'charges' tend to scatter most of the wildlife in all directions). Interesting that you saw Wigeon - apart from a brief spell when there were a few birds around for a few weeks they have been in short supply. The summer visitors (Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Swallow, Swift etc) will all be back soon livening the main park up a bit, although the bay does lose the waders for a few months - though possibility of Osprey and Sandwich Tern are a nice bit of compensation.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 02:09   #60
kawwauser

i lost my internet connection 16\04/12 but have had a couple of enjoyable visits here since then,carrion crow and song thrush approaching the car park,3 greenfinches feeding in a tree right in front of my car,1 goldfinch skylarks,bluetits,jackdaw,woodpigeon, 1pair of long tailed tits,dunocks,robin,in the trees to the right,11 teals on the lochan,1 curlew feeding just to the left,on my visit on the 17/04/12 i walked the park at 1.00 pm the tide was well in and a group of waders were resting up just in front of the pipe right in front of the hide ,4 cracking black tailed godwits showing the start of their summer plumage, 60+ redshanks,2 lssb gulls keeping an eye on them,2 mutes,lots of teal,12 shellducks,feral pigeon,woodpigeon flying overhead
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mutesrstng.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	380387  Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	380388  Click image for larger version

Name:	crow1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	380389  

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 21:15   #61
Stonefaction
Yes!

29th April

A lot more greenery around making the smaller birds more of a challenge to see, and a lack of waders around too. Highlights were few and far between but a nice Lesser Redpoll and a Kestrel hunting over the airport were probably the two best birds. Plenty singing from Blackcaps around the eastern end of the park, with a Chiffchaff also in one tree with a male Blackcap. A grumpy female Linnet wasn't too keen on the attentions of a male and a couple of Meadow Pipits chased around the compost area.

Other birds seen were Blackbird, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Herring Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Skylark, Starling, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Walked out to Kingoodie afterwards and saw two Sparrowhawks at the west end of Invergowrie, and a couple of Teal at Kingoodie.
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 21:22   #62
Stonefaction
Yes!

2nd May

Rather rushed visit after work. Tide well out but few waders around again. Just 1 each of Redshank, Curlew and Oystercatcher. Mostly Carrion Crows and Shelducks on the mud with a Cormorant and a Grey Heron out towards the end of the pipe. Herring Gulls and Lesser Black Backed Gulls bathing towards the hide. A pair of Mallards in the burn near the railway line along with a single Mute Swan. A few vocal Blackcaps singing, a pair of Willow Warblers chasing through the bushes north of car park. A pair of Swallows hawking behind and a potentially breeding Buzzard (heard what may have been youngsters from the trees and the Buzzard perched atop after a brief flight). Linnets still in a small flock near the compost area. A pair of Teal still at the Lochan.

Other birds seen were Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Jackdaw, Long tailed Tit, Pied Wagtail, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Woodpigeon.
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 14:08   #63
Stonefaction
Yes!

9th May

Popped in to the park after work but the tide was "wrong" and as most of the waders have left for their breeding sites the bay was pretty quiet. Only 22 species seen.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll, Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Starling, Stock Dove, Swallow, Willow Warbler.
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 14:21   #64
Stonefaction
Yes!

13th May

A few hours at a wild and very windy Riverside yesterday. The wind was blowing right down the river and didn't even seem to be gusting. It was like being stood in a constant blast of wind. At least it wasn't wet or particularly cold.

Most of the birds in the bay were hunkered down against the wind with a Grey Heron tucked in behind the pipe looking the most sensible. Five species of gulls bathing and roosting, mostly Herring Gulls and Lesser Black Backed Gulls with a couple of Common Gulls and a few Black Headed Gulls plus one young Great Black Backed Gull. A pair of Mute Swans roosted in the bay, while Mallards fed and slept. The Teal all appear to have gone now, though Shelduck numbers are up. Very few waders around with Oystercatchers being by far the most numerous (though still probably only single figures). A single Curlew and a Black Tailed Godwit were the other waders. The female Goosander was also around.

A single Whitethroat was singing near the hide as was a Willow Warbler (a Chiffchaff was calling from opposite the underpass near the western entrance to the park). A lot of Swallows and a House Martin were feeding in the shletered areas behind the trees, low over the ground. Another Whitethroat was singing in bushes around the same area where one was last year (think I had 3 seperate distinct territories last summer).

Other birds seen were Blackbird, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Linnet, Pied wagtail, Feral Pigeon, Starling and Woodpigeon.
Old Tuesday 15th May 2012, 21:18   #65
Stonefaction
Yes!

15th May

Off on holiday this week so managed to fit in an early afternoon visit today as the tide was on its way back out. Plenty birds around in the bushes near the eastern end of the park, with a noisy male Blackcap singing away, a Long Tailed Tit family all contact calling, Chaffinches feeding and a Lesser Redpoll calling from the very top of a tree, and at least one Blue Tit. Swallows zipped around too.

Further on, a Blackbird was by the edge of the bushes and a Pied Wagtail flew over calling as it went. A couple of Carrion Crows wandered around. Herring Gulls flew over towards the bay.

At the hide the bay was quite busy, considering that most of the waders and ducks have moved on - Oystercatcher and Mallard being the main exceptions. Once again there were five species of Gull present (Herring, Common, Lesser and Great Black Backed and Black Headed). A couple of Cormorants were out at the far end of the pipe and a Grey Heron was skulking along the edge. A pair of Mute Swan and some Shelduck were also present. A few Feral Pigeons and Jackdaws meandered around between the gulls and a Woodpigeon flew by. Willow Warbler and Whitethroat both sand from the bushes around the hide again but neither was seen today. Star bird however was an unusually pale drake Pintail preening by the water in front of the hide. The bird was mostly white (rather than grey) with pale brown primaries and an overall white and pale orange-brown look to it. Quite a striking looking bird and a new species for the park list.

Wandering further round, Linnets flew over as did Starlings and Goldfinch.

87. Pintail

A few more photos on my flickr page ....
www.flickr.com/stonefaction
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012 05 15_9364.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	384848  Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 05 15_9324.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	384849  
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 20:38   #66
Stonefaction
Yes!

Well, took a trip down to the park today after work in glorious sunshine to see what was around before Sunday's BioBlitz. Only 25 species seen, the best of which was a male Sparrowhawk soaring upwards on a thermal before stooping downwards and disappearing from my line of sight behind trees. A few Whitethroats and Willow Warblers also seen. The only waders were 8 Oystercatchers. Just 4 species of Gull in the bay (no Great Black Backed today). Mute Swan, Mallards and Shelduck were the only wildfowl. A Cormorant flew in and landed on the pipe as the tide came in. A few Swallows and House Martins around. The usual Carrion Crows and Jackdaws dotted about plus Feral and Woodpigeons. Smaller birds seen were Blackbird, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Linnet, Pied Wagtail, Starling and Yellowhammer.

Unfortunately there were a few less welcome visitors around as well. First up was at least a couple of (older?)teenagers down in the bushes by the waters edge overlooking the bay. Didn't get a clear view, so don't know if sunbathing was the only thing they were doing in among prime nesting area.
Worse was to come round by the car park. A couple (late 20s/early 30s) with a dog and football passed me. The guy then booted the football for the dog to chase. I shouted to him "hey mate, dogs are meant to be under control in the park at this time of year because of ground-nesting birds". The woman replied "it's a dog park". I said "No, it's a nature park". Guy says "Well, he's part of nature" and walks off with dog still running wild.

Spotted them later as I was leaving the park, up near the viewpoint angrily shaking the blanket they had been sat on, sending a couple of empty cans flying through the air into the grass where they left them, before stomping around trying to get the roaming dog back and I assume heading back to their car. Hopefully they will find a "dog park" to leave their litter in where they can let their dog run riot. If that is what the sun brings to the park, then I hope we get a wet summer.

Last edited by Stonefaction : Thursday 24th May 2012 at 20:48.
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 21:03   #67
Stonefaction
Yes!

On the subject of the BioBlitz.

This Sunday (27th May) from 1pm till 6pm there is an attempt to catalogue as many species in the park as possible (not just birds, but plants, insects, animals etc also) being run by the Countryside Rangers.

Everybody is welcome (well, maybe not quite everybody - see above!), so why not take the opportunity to come down and see what the park has to offer, and play your part in recording the variety of wildlife that is around within the park.

There is a guided birding walk at 1.30pm being led by the very knowledgable Bob McCurley (well known among the local - and further afield - birding fraternity), and other things going on as well. Weather forecast looks pretty good too.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bioblitz at Riverside 2012 poster(1).pdf (484.1 KB, 88 views)
Old Sunday 27th May 2012, 20:36   #68
Stonefaction
Yes!

What a day at Riverside today for the Bioblitz. Scorching weather, (although some sensible precautions meant I've escaped the sunburn pretty much all over, except for the back of my right hand!) and lots of interested people.

Headed to the park for around 1030 to see what I could find before it got too busy. A walk along the fenceline produced Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon and a pair of Mallards on the Lochan. A flock of Jackdaws flew in, and a Herring Gull flew over, as did a couple of Swifts. Turned round in time to see a raptor flying over Ninewells. An Osprey which a Herring Gull took exception to, before I lost sight of them behind the trees. My first for the park this year, and a great bird to get on Bioblitz day.

First stop inside the park was at the hide where Lesser Black Backed Gull was added, along with Whitethroat, a family of Long tailed Tits, Dunnock, Mute Swan, Black Headed Gull, Feral Pigeon and a solitary Lapwing. Looking further out towards the river, Oystercatcher, Shelduck, Grey Heron and Cormorant were seen. A few Starlings and a Swallow flew past, and a small flock of Goldfinches flew over as I left the hide area.

Walking round the paths I added Yellowhammer, Blue Tit and Chiffchaff, and a few House Martins skimmed overhead. I heard a House Sparrow but it stayed hidden. Not a common bird in the park. Chaffinches were much in evidence and a Greenfinch did a display flight. A couple of Linnets called as they flew over towards the compost area. Nearing the car park, I could hear a Willow Warbler singing but it took a few minutes of searching before it appeared at the top of a tree showing well. A Wren flew low across the car park, and a Song Thrush sang in the trees.

Popped into the Countryside Rangers marquee to introduce myself and give them my list as it stood. Had lunch and a blether before heading back out to try and add a few more to the list. Didn't have to go far to add Robin which was singing just behind the car park in the trees. A few Skylarks were singing over towards the airport and I managed to see a couple of them. I could hear Blackcaps singing so I searched for them and eventually managed to see one. A pair of Stock Doves was next on the list and a pair of House Sparrows were feeding in the long grass, with another seen towards the horses later on. Had a further wander round later but didn't add anything to my own list until I was leaving the park at just after 6pm when I finally managed to see a Lesser Redpoll in the trees beside the car park.

39 species for my own list today which is a site record for me. However, others added another 5 species to the list which were Buzzard, Pied Wagtail, Common Gull, Great Tit and Sedge Warbler - which is a new species for the park list. 44 species for the day which is exactly half of the total recorded in/from the park since it opened last June.

There were other birds that weren't seen which on a normal day might have been expected such as Meadow Pipit, Coal Tit, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel and Grey Wagtail, so 50 species in a day is do-able.

88. Sedge Warbler

In addition to the birds, there were plants and insects (moths and butterflies especially) and animals noted too (Otters were seen in the bay last night apparently). Hopefully when it has all been collated I'll be able to post a list here.

Last edited by Stonefaction : Sunday 27th May 2012 at 20:40.
Old Sunday 27th May 2012, 21:04   #69
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

I'll look forward to seeing the list you get Barry. I've just added Sedge Warbler to the Opus article.

Did the dogs behave today?

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th May 2012, 22:23   #70
Stonefaction
Yes!

Mostly, Delia. There was an excitable Spaniel tearing through the bushes later on in the afternoon. A good day in the sun with plenty of folk visiting, including the TV news - possibly being shown on ITV Breakfast news tomorrow as an "and finally" section on the Scottish news (think on the hour - 6, 7 and 8am).

Next event at the park is the unveiling of the information plinths at the viewpoint on the hill on June 16th. There are a couple of guided walks that day too, and stuff for kids to do etc, so hopefully the weather will behave again and plenty folk will come along and see the park.
Old Monday 28th May 2012, 20:48   #71
shedboy71

If only locals could get the 'mutts' under control, I've had that problem walking with the young lad.

Certainly a lot of species seen recently that we have never seen, we got excited with a Willow Warbler near the hide once.
Old Monday 28th May 2012, 21:26   #72
Stonefaction
Yes!

I've had a few dogs jump up - "it's ok, he doesn't bite!" - as I've walked round the park. Their dogs maybe don't bite, but they do leave muddy footprints on my trousers.....

It was suggested at one of the meetings (held to try and set up a "friends of Riverside Nature Park" group - more details to follow on that front later in the year) that dogs be limited to the eastern end "fields" area of the park. That would probably be better than banning dogs entirely from a "usage of the park" point of view (dog walking is probably the most common usage that I've seen), but from the "nature" perspective there are plenty other areas where dogs can be exercised with less disturbance to wildlife (Magdalen Green/bottom end of Technology Park - [visible from the hill in the park], to name 2 relatively close by). Unfortunately a percentage of dog owners don't think rules (and even laws - dog fouling) apply to them and their dogs, and there is not really much can be done to change that easily. Some large "dogs in the park must be kept on a lead between March and July" signs might be a handy addition for next year. Possibly something for the prospective "Friends of RNP" group to try to raise funds for, as the small printed message on the signage is most likely not read by most park users.
Old Monday 28th May 2012, 21:31   #73
Stonefaction
Yes!

Think there are a Willow Warbler and a Whitethroat with territories around the hide area, with both singing regularly in that area.
Old Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:21   #74
Stonefaction
Yes!

A colleague at work today mentioned that she'd seen a small flock of Geese flying from the direction of the bay (she lives near Ninewells) early this morning. I suggested the possibility of the Canada Geese that stop by in the area for a while in Summer, and tonight I have heard of some being seen in Fife, so maybe the 'local' visitors are back. They are not yet on the park list, so it may be worth keeping an eye out for them if you are visiting the park.
Old Sunday 3rd June 2012, 23:21   #75
Stonefaction
Yes!

Debated where to go today and was en route to look for a locally reported Bee-eater (seen yesterday near Carnoustie) when I received a text saying that a Little Gull had been seen to the west of Invergowrie Bay. As the tide was on its way in, I figured there was a good chance the bird would join the usual gull flock in the bay, so I headed for the park instead.
The tide was quite far in and there were plenty of gulls around, so I scanned through the nearer birds from the bridge over the railway before heading round to the hide. Despite only having binoculars with me it didn't take long to spot a likely candidate, swimming alongside a Black Headed Gull, looking distinctly smaller. Took a few record shots before the bird flew a little closer, allowing a better view. I sent a text to the local bird club grapevine to say that the bird was in the bay, but while I was texting it must have flown off, as I couldn't relocate it after that. 6 species of Gull today though - Great and Lesser Black Backed, Herring, Common, Black Headed and Little.

The rest of the birds seen were fairly standard fare - with a Buzzard hovering in the wind at tree-top height just above me being the other highlight of the day.

29 species in all seen - 10 down on last Sunday's visit, but at least a new bird for my own list, and the park list this week. Other birds seen were - Carrion Crow, Chaffinch (one ringed male), Curlew, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Greenfinch, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Linnet, Long tailed Tit (& youngsters), Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Starling, Swift, Swallow, Whitethroat, Woodpigeon. Yellowhammer, Blue Tit, Skylark and Blackcap were all heard but not seen. No sign of any Canada Geese either, but I did see a flock of 21 birds moving down the coast at Auchmithie yesterday.

89. Little Gull
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012 06 03_0540.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	388464  

Last edited by Stonefaction : Sunday 3rd June 2012 at 23:27.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: