• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Best picture ever, take a look (1 Viewer)

You set the scene beautifully with your description & the picture is breathtaking!

Put me on the list for your book :)

Nice reward for your patience,very well done congrats.
I dont know the right words for it (maybe)
This is a killer!
In the full meaning off saying.

Oh boy, am I looking forward to seeing that book. Autographed copies for all the members. Steve's paying of course: LOL

Good luck in getting it published Nigel. Will it be just photos or are you going to relate to your many travels, encountered problems plus anything else you think might interest the buying public. You write so well that you must put in your excellent narrations.

I bet you have many stories to tell. Your book would be the perfect platform for many of them.

Who knows, we could well be on our way to witnessing the first Birdforum Author. Thrillers involving killer birds next, eh Nigel (Oh!! also including all the gory detailed photos by yours truly) LOL

Congratulations Nigel on achieving something that is beyond most people, however hard they try. But talking of hard work, your story is a classic example of how - though luck always plays a part in these things - it's hard work, concentration and patience that count above everything else.

You have such a class portfolio now Nigel, I wouldn't have thought getting a publisher would be a problem at all.

Best of luck and thanks.

Nigel, Cracking photo in the end. But I thought you said you saw him earlier on the post eating a vole in a couple of gulps, how come you were unable to capture him then? Was it that it was too far away?

Hi Jayhunter
She was to far off when eating the vole and well out of flash range, this shot was about 50 minutes later.
I say she because the bird has a dark band to the upper breast, males are normally slightly smaller than this bird appeared and are very much cleaner looking with white on the upper breast and extending onto the sides of the head, this of course is the nominate race Tyto a. alba, around the world there are 34 races of Barn Owl, the plumages of these vary quite considerably.

Well Nigel now you have done it... you not only are the world's best photographer but you are a gifted narrator as well.
Thank you for sharing this incredible wait and reward with everyone...
IF there is a list to be had of potential buyers for that book may I suggest you add my name to that growing list of people that would also want your published works.
Again this owl with the vole is proof positive that you should indeed have the camera and bean bag ready to go at a moment's notice.
OUTSTANDING Nigel...

How many adjectives can you pen to convey the magnitude of the "setup" and its rewarding "finish"; a magnificent moment in time. Thanks for inviting us into your "world". ...Inspiring!!

This is the "stuff" that great Nature Books are made of!

bob

Last edited:
You'll get it Nigel, and when you do I want you to sign my copy. I'm awestruck with this photo, and I feel immensely honoured to see it before it hits the shelves (and it will!). Thank you

A very good read and WOW what a lovely image. The morning colours are so beautiful and the action great.
You are a star!

Nigel,you certainly set the stage for a beautiful photo. If your book is written this way,it certainly will be unique.

I always felt there was something lacking in the Bird photo books I've looked at when at Barnes&Nobles Book Store and it is the excitement the photographer felt at the time the photo was taken.

Good Luck with your venture.

I can only agree with all the others, I really enjoyed both the story and the photo. Thanks. Can't wait for the book.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back