• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kern 1988 8X30 (1 Viewer)

dries1

What do people think of the Kern Arrau 1988 military binoculars, I have used them as a field bino before I got the Nikon EII. The view cannot compare with the EII but are pretty good as a tough alternative in the rain even though they are individual focus.

What do people think of the Kern Arrau 1988 military binoculars, I have used them as a field bino before I got the Nikon EII. The view cannot compare with the EII but are pretty good as a tough alternative in the rain even though they are individual focus.

Hello Andy,

Are you writing of the black traditionally looking binocular? It looks like this binocular.

Or are you writing of the later model which looked like this binocular?

I have a Kern 8x30 Swiss military binocular made in 1971. Mine has single coating; your later unit may have multi-coating. Mine is a solid binocular with very good optics. As an IF binocular it is not ideal for bird watching but it is well suited to orienteering, some star gazing and hiking. I like the reticle which could be useful for hikers and hunters.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
Arthur,

I have the latter, single hinge, 1988 model without laser filters, with reticle and it is a great glass, very compact wide field of view (8 degrees) and waterproof. The only drawback was that it was bad with ghosting if viewing a light source at night, otherwise a great daytime bino for general observation. I always looked for your model in a 1980 date, I know the glass is very good even for single coating. I now have an EII my newest 8X30 porro which I cannot be more pleased with.

Regards,

Andy W.

"...the eyepiece consists of only three lenses."
In the illustration I see two lenses consisting of three elements i.e. a single element field lens and a two element eyelens.

Hello,

I posted this pic of the Kern and the Zeiss 8X30s in another post under IF porros. The kerns are a great glass, mine does not have the laser filters as the newer Leicas do.

Regards,

Andy W.

Andy, post 6,
If I am well informed Leica-Kern has two types: one with laser filter (red plate on top of the hinge) and one without (blue plate on top of the hinge), but Hans Weigum undoubtedly knows more.
Gijs van Ginkel

Andy, post 6,
If I am well informed Leica-Kern has two types: one with laser filter (red plate on top of the hinge) and one without (blue plate on top of the hinge), but Hans Weigum undoubtedly knows more.
Gijs van Ginkel

The blue plated ones are those WITH laser filter; the earlier versions have the name Kern printed on them, the later ones Leica (first pic)

I am not aware of any red plated ones.

Kern (Hans knows that too) also produced a very small number of a central focus edition of the same bino without laser filter nor reticle (second pic).

Attachments

• BD8CA9C6-BF32-4089-A90E-7360CD3E3A40.png
    BD8CA9C6-BF32-4089-A90E-7360CD3E3A40.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 3448ED4F-D6C4-4CB6-921B-52F0C63BAE09.png
    3448ED4F-D6C4-4CB6-921B-52F0C63BAE09.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 140
The blue plated ones are those WITH laser filter; the earlier versions have the name Kern printed on them, the later ones Leica (first pic)

I am not aware of any red plated ones.

Kern (Hans knows that too) also produced a very small number of a central focus edition of the same bino without laser filter nor reticle (second pic).

more about these Kern/Leicas:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=162961&page=9

IF Versions have a greyish anodized finish (Ematal), CF-Version have glossy black paint on the body, beneath the rubber sleeve.

https://www.festo-cvt.com/files/en.surfacetreatment.pdf

HW

Canip and Hans,
The photographs with the blue sign I know, the one with the grey anodised finish also, but I have one with red inscriptions. How does that fit into the picture?
A number of years ago I found in a camera binocular store in Scuol a Kern civilian8x30 with central focus, very nice instrument with large field of view, I like it better than the Nikon E II and the FOV of both is comparable.
Gijs van Ginkel

I have never seen the central focus model, no doubt a rare one, it probably would have been sold to many birders in Europe. I find it even today a great 8X30, small and portable, a wide field of view, weather resistant not sure if it is water proof, it probably is to an extent since it was used for the Military. The view is crystal clear with real color rendition. It has a longer focus turn compared to the Hensoldt Fero D-16 8X30 which is short and quick with a narrow field of view. If more folks on the US had a chance to see these, I am sure many would have procured one. A sure keeper for me.

Regards,

Andy W.

Hans (post # 9),
Thank you for posting the link to your 2014 article - I do have a copy of this in my optics files :)

Andy (posts # 11 and 12),
how much narrower is the fov in the Hensoldt ?

Canip,

It is a full degree, only 7 degrees as compared with 8 for the Kern. The sharpness /resolution in the Zeiss is better though IMO with a faster focus. The Hensoldt is a later glass, so it likely has improved lens coatings. If it did not have laser filters the view would be much better.

Andy W.

Hi,

yes, civilian Kern bins are not very frequent outside of switzerland and modern examples are quite a rarity (and I'm not sure if they are not just demo units).

Not sure if Holgers review of the Kern and the Fero D16 has been mentioned... this has all the data...

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kern8x30.html

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back