• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon CP 3x Telephoto (1 Viewer)

Redwing,

Thanks for the IDs. I have ordered the book.

Is there a zoom on the 880?

Yes, there is a 2.5 zoom. However when using the 3x teleconverter the full zoom has to be used to avoid vignetting.

Is that correct that the 4500 should focus down to 2cm? Because I am sure I have never got mine to do that.

It is according to the main review sites. The Nikon site was down when I tried a few minutes ago. I will be disappointed if it isn't as it is one of the features that attracts me to a 4500. (not the main one though)

As far as the 2cm is concerned, Nikon claim this is the minimum focal distance, however whenever I've tried to get this close I have failed every time.

This evening I had a little play using a road atlas as my subject. I have found that you can get that close but only at the wide angle end of the zoom len at a focal length of around 18.5mm you can get up close. Zooming in or out you can no longer get it in focus, and have to move the camera back a considerable distance.

Paul

I've posted some recent images, of juvenile Cooper's Hawks (2 different days and locations), I took with my Nikon 4500 and the Nikon TC-E3 ED 3x converter which I just received.

I'm very pleased with it. It is hard to "aim" though as it is a large lens and covers the viewfinder. Works fine for big birds in a tree but small birds in the branches can be hard to find.

Bit pricey though.

Chris. Spratt

I've only just read this thread for the first time. I tried getting my 4500 to focus at about 2cm and it did but only at the point on the zoom where the flower indicator turns yellow.

Can you use the Nikon 3X converter coupled to the Olympus B300, or any other lens to increase the magnification?

Chris. Spratt

I've been using it now for several months and have had modest success. It is my primary lens for some of my more strenuous trips. I still have trouble locating birds in trees though. As with anything, experience improves with experience. I do still wonder if perhaps I would have been happier with the Eagle Eye 5x for birding if only to be rid of that forsaken auto focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back