• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Camera dropping incident! (1 Viewer)

An idea occured to me...
I may try to salvage the bits of the now-departed crappicam and attach them to a spotting scope, as it's only the barrel that's broken.
As you can tell, I know very little about how these things work, but it'd be interesting to try...
I've now replaced crappicam with a Kodak P850, so I'm quite happy now, although I'm sure everyone will add some horror stories associated with it now that I've paid for it...

colonelboris said:
On that note, I'll bid you all good night and thank you all for help and comments.
I shall hide the camera under the dinig room table until mes parents have gone shopping, reassemble it and bawl dad out over his clumsy cat.
And hopefully make him feel guilty enough to buy me a new one...
hell fire, ive just read this story , now i find ive lost the will to live. stuart smith. R.i.P.

Last edited:
Colonelboris said:
On that note, I'll bid you all good night and thank you all for help and comments.
I shall hide the camera under the dinig room table until mes parents have gone shopping, reassemble it and bawl dad out over his clumsy cat.
And hopefully make him feel guilty enough to buy me a new one...
stuart C smith said:
hell fire, ive just read this story , now i find ive lost the will to live. stuart smith. R.i.P.

I didn't really blame it on the cat...
I admitted it was all my fault and they were surprisingly calm about it, as can be seen by the fact that I am still able to write...

gthang said:
Geez.. sorry about the camera. I've dropped mine a couple times and it still works fine. THe only thing that's broken is the door for the video/power/usb cables.

May I suggest getting a Canon DSLR? They're rock-solid, from what I hear. And especially since Canons are used worldwide by virtually all Journalistic photographers, sports photogs, paparazzi. That kind of customer base requires a camera that can withstand a hard shove from a celebrity, a bat or baseball to the lens, even the occasional tree. Even the flash memory can be built to withstand falls from great heights. Sandisk makes a CompactFlash card that withstood some pretty huge amounts of force, and still worked!

Don`t know about them being rock solid, I dropped my 300d today and it looks as though it has joined crappycam in camera valhalla!Unless I can find an expert that will resurrect it.

Stranger said:
Don`t know about them being rock solid, I dropped my 300d today and it looks as though it has joined crappycam in camera valhalla!Unless I can find an expert that will resurrect it.

Ha! If the crappicam's in camera Valhalla, then it's the one doing all the washing up after the eternal feast!
Sorry to hear about yours though. If I were you, I wouldn't follow any of the tips in this thread, except for those given by everyone other than me, that is...

Can your first image posted using the kodak please be a picture of the dearly departed crappicam, I think it's only fitting that we should be able to pay our last respects to the star of this thread

colonelboris said:
Ha! If the crappicam's in camera Valhalla, then it's the one doing all the washing up after the eternal feast!
Sorry to hear about yours though. If I were you, I wouldn't follow any of the tips in this thread, except for those given by everyone other than me, that is...

checked my house contents insurance and thought I might be covered,quick phone call to the company to confirm,They will contact my local Jessops all I have to do is present dead camera for repair or replacement,.....YIPPEE!
Don`t you just love a happy ending?

Stranger said:
checked my house contents insurance and thought I might be covered,quick phone call to the company to confirm,They will contact my local Jessops all I have to do is present dead camera for repair or replacement,.....YIPPEE!
Don`t you just love a happy ending?

Very nice! Glad it worked out well for you.
I'm secretly glad in a way the crappicam went for a burton as meant I could get something a little less 'crappi'.
Still waiting for it turn up...

colonelboris said:
Very nice! Glad it worked out well for you.
I'm secretly glad in a way the crappicam went for a burton as meant I could get something a little less 'crappi'.
Still waiting for it turn up...

Thanks
Hope your new camera works out and you get that perfect shot!
I have learnt my lesson and have insured all my equipment seperately just in case.

(Nodding in the style of the Churchill dog) Ohhh, yes!
Arrived this afternoon, albeit with a US battery charger. Found out in Maplins that if you don't need to convert the voltage, an adapter for electric shavers is fine for US two-pin plugs! Battery is now charged and ready to go. I'll take the inaugral shot of the shattered remains of the cappicam (TM) in a bit...

colonelboris said:
(Nodding in the style of the Churchill dog) Ohhh, yes!
Arrived this afternoon, albeit with a US battery charger. Found out in Maplins that if you don't need to convert the voltage, an adapter for electric shavers is fine for US two-pin plugs! Battery is now charged and ready to go. I'll take the inaugral shot of the shattered remains of the cappicam (TM) in a bit...
ohh no , i can feel myself slipping away again.

stuart C smith said:
ohh no , i can feel myself slipping away again.

Hang in there, the thread's nearly died the death.
Anyhoo, if you are even vaguely interested, I'll try and get some shots of some Dartford warblers tomorrow...

colonelboris said:
Hang in there, the thread's nearly died the death.
Anyhoo, if you are even vaguely interested, I'll try and get some shots of some Dartford warblers tomorrow...
oooh dartford warblers, i feel a little life returning.

stuart C smith said:
oooh dartford warblers, i feel a little life returning.

Over the same patch, there were also ~25 woodlarks, many stonechats, a redstart and a juv and male whinchat, which isn't all that shabby for somewhere the army were practising on this afternoon.

Ok, just for giggles, here's the shattered remains of the crappicam (TM)...
I'm going to convert it to fit my scope so that the scope focusses the image directly onto the CCD - any ideas on whether that would work or not?

Attachments

• 000_0054.jpg
    000_0054.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 127
The Crappicam is dead - long live the crappiscopecam.
Thanks very much for the story of the dearly departed
Let us know how you get on with the conversion

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back