• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Barnyard Goose-Or Greater White-fronted Goose. Essex CT. USA (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Usually when I check these things out, they turn out to be domestic waterfowl.-The markings are similar in Sibley's to a Greater White-fronted Goose but also to a Barnyard Goose.-Can you please let me know which it is and how you differentiate the two?-thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Is there a picture available of this goose?
The differences are usually obvious, particlarly size, shape and white areas on 'barnyard' geese.

Aha the pic appeared as I was typing. This is a Greylag Goose (western race) I only see it as a pure bird.

Last edited:
It's a domestic Greylag. A couple of the obvious differences - the white around the bill is very limited; the bird is very bulky with a thick neck; the orange bill is rather large; the bird is overall quite pale with pale fringes to a lot of the feathers; the belly is quite pale and plain, would show dark barring in W-f Goose.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Helps a great deal-I figured it would be the domestic but never having seen the other, I wanted to make sure-thanks

Ruralchill said:
Why is it a domestic? I would call it a feral or escape.

I'd say the shape of it, especially the very heavy rear belly, makes it look more like a domestic than a wild bird. It's hard to be sure about this from one picture though.

This is a Domestic Graylag based on the shape as mentioned earlier. No pure wild goose has such a large "keel" in it's hind belly like that. This is what makes flying a task for domestic geese and wild graylag would not show the white around the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back