• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trouble with Neighbors (1 Viewer)

ncbirds

Today after I got home, I saw that my neighbor had put up a huge inflatable water slide just 10 ft. from my flicker nest! There were around 15 kids everywhere. They were even trying to climb the pole! I explained to him the situation, and he said he wasn't going to move it. So it is now 8:00 and the flickers are nowhere to be found. The 5 eggs I doubt are any good now. So my question is, how can I deal with this? This neighbor has gone out of his way the last 2 years to ruin everything. He has something against birds i guess.

Not much you can do about someone like that. Either you can move or hope that your neighbours do! It's a pity but it's true what they say - you can choose your friends but you can't choose your neighbours. People with good neighbours (like me) don't know how lucky they are. I hope your flickers return and the eggs are OK.

Mike

Today after I got home, I saw that my neighbor had put up a huge inflatable water slide just 10 ft. from my flicker nest! There were around 15 kids everywhere. They were even trying to climb the pole! I explained to him the situation, and he said he wasn't going to move it. So it is now 8:00 and the flickers are nowhere to be found. The 5 eggs I doubt are any good now. So my question is, how can I deal with this? This neighbor has gone out of his way the last 2 years to ruin everything. He has something against birds i guess.

You can't do anything except pray that the birds come back.Fingers crossed for you.Not nice.

I am so sorry for you. There isn't much you can do. Try, as hard as it is, not to fall out TOO much with your neighbours as they now know your weak spot (in their opinion) and they could do other stuff to wind you up. All too often we hear of people in almost war situations with neighbours over something that just isn't gunna be resolved because of ignorance. I can't control my neighbours with their desire to have cats so i just have to scare it off when I can and generally put up with it. The birds still visit the garden and in the grand scale of it nature copes. It's us sensitive birders that do all the worry! If the nest is abandoned then there isn't much you can do this year. Perhaps you could move the pole for next year (I am assuming that this is a pole you can move!!!) If it's not then pray that they (the neighbours) move or that you can.
Henstooth

I feel for you..sad isnt it..we humans sometimes dont know what nature is..if you were in Malaysia then it would have been another matter..i had a neighbour once who gave his son a air rifle and showed him how to shoot birds once..i got the rifle removed from his house legely..(danger to the neighbours)..and then asked all my patient in town to pass his house from mid-night to 7am in morning (his house was facing the main road)..honking all the way..he sold his house after 2 months and went to a quiter place..so our neighbour hood became one again..we and the birds enjoy the freedom around our area..honest..do feel sorry for you.regards

Not much you can do, like others have said, and he probably views you as a "bird nut" like mine do! I get the oddest looks sometimes when the neighbors see me outside with my camera or binos trying to view and capture a pic the birds. Hopefully, the birds will return soon!

Not much you can do about someone like that. Either you can move or hope that your neighbours do! It's a pity but it's true what they say - you can choose your friends but you can't choose your neighbours. People with good neighbours (like me) don't know how lucky they are. I hope your flickers return and the eggs are OK.

Mike

Maybe not in Europe, but flickers ARE a native bird in North Carolina and as such are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty. As such, interfering with an active nest is a violation of federal law. Contact your local office of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, as well as your local game wardens. The LEAST they can do is talk with your neighbor.

Well here is an update on the situation. The male flicker came back late that evening just 2 min. after my neighbors went inside. The female has not returned at all, so the male is on his own now. I have a camera in the box, and the 3 hrs. that the flickers were gone caused 3 of the 5 embryos to die. I can tell cause the eggs turned very dark. I also have a bluebird nest with three little ones about 20ft. from the flicker box. This same neighbor told me this morning that he is having ChemLawn come and spray his grass to hopefully poison the food supply for the bluebirds! I don't know what to do.

Well here is an update on the situation. The male flicker came back late that evening just 2 min. after my neighbors went inside. The female has not returned at all, so the male is on his own now. I have a camera in the box, and the 3 hrs. that the flickers were gone caused 3 of the 5 embryos to die. I can tell cause the eggs turned very dark. I also have a bluebird nest with three little ones about 20ft. from the flicker box. This same neighbor told me this morning that he is having ChemLawn come and spray his grass to hopefully poison the food supply for the bluebirds! I don't know what to do.

These moron,s make my blood boil.:-@ :-@ :-@

See my note right above this post.

Get the authorities in right away. It sounds as though it's against the law. This might cause ructions between you and the neighbours BUT STILL, what he's doing is downright WRONG.
Henstooth

You guys don't understand. My neighbor is a high profile lawyer who knows the laws up and down. Nobody would dare stand up to him.

You guys don't understand. My neighbor is a high profile lawyer who knows the laws up and down. Nobody would dare stand up to him.

That's no concern here. Just because he is a lawyer does not make him above the law and frankly the Feds could give two SH*** about whether he is a lawyer or not.

He is NOT above the law. Back when Mr Clinton was sitting in Mr Bush's current chair, Mrs. Clinton was given an eagle feather by a group of native Americans. As she left the stage, some wardens who were in the audience approached her for her permit to possess this feather.

No one is above the law. If your local wardens will not act, work your way up the line. When it gets to the right person, action will be taken.

I understand your concers. What sort of knock-on effect will this have? You are the one in the chair. I hate to play devils advocate but "What If".......
I am a police officer and I always ask people to ballance what they are doing. You will have to "box clever" on this one. If the information gets to the authorities is there going to be a direct line to YOU? Is there another way. Is there another way it could get to the authorities? Perhaps you could get the relevant law and approach the individual and educate them. Perhaps they don't know that specific peice of law. It must be terrible for you, 1st to be know that wildlife is at peril and 2nd to be living next to such an ignorant arse.
Henstooth

Well, this keeps getting worse. I'm only 17, so when my dad found out I confronted the guy, he said I was wrong. He says my neighbor can do whatever he wants on his property, no matter what consequences it has on the birds. So now he is forcing me to apologize to the guy for my ''disrespect''. This is ridiculous.

This same neighbor told me this morning that he is having ChemLawn come and spray his grass to hopefully poison the food supply for the bluebirds! I don't know what to do.

Unbelievable of the insensitivity of this guy and what he is teaching his youngsters. Some thoughts of what to do: if you could get a video or audio of this ignorant behaviour such as saying he is having his lawn chem'ed to kill the food for the bluebirds - and post it - post it on youtube, post notices on the craigslist in your area. Also, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, perhaps provide pictures. What you may want is the public on your side and getting local media attention may help. If there is a local nature club, ask them to get involved. Also, if he is a practicing lawyer, perhaps some media attention will adversely affect his business or political aspirations, which is usually what such morons understand.

Also, check with the school his children are attending. See if a local nature club has been active there in educating the children the importance of wildlife and respecting it.

Also, borrowing a barking dog to bark at the kids playing on the slide may help in limiting their time on the slide. Or, doing something else that is "offensive" audioly (not sure if that is a word, but I think u know what I mean) to the younger crowds. Perhaps like playing some genre of music they don't care for.

Be careful on this one, your area may have laws concerning how long a dog is allowed to bark without being considered a disturbance and how loud a radio may be before being considered a nuisance.

I have two barking dogs that chase squirrels, and amazingly - and thankfully - my yard hosts nesting and feeding birds all year long. Including, a couple of years ago, a pileated.

Also, in response to the bluebirds: my father has had bluebirds nesting in his yard for years, and this year his neighbors put up a trampoline close to the bluebird house. I am not sure how often the kids play on that thing, but his bluebirds are doing okay and are now feeding the hatchlings. Hopefully, your bluebirds will be so resilient, too.

Last edited:
Owww mate. You have it bad. I can't say I know US law but there must be something about what he's doing!!??!?!? I can understand what your dad is saying about approaching the neighbour on your own and PERHAPS how you broached the subject BUT not about appologising for THE PRINCIPLE OF THE FACTS. I am sure you have explained to dad what the BASE LINE ISSUE is here. Get yourself armed with FACTS..get online and get the law printed. Make some calls to the wildlife authorities and go in prepared. Get some heavyweight backing, and then give the JERK a chance to re-consider his actions. If he doesn't, then mention the hardball tactics. It will be much more difficult for him to repair that sort of damage. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE FACTS AND LAW BEHIND YOU. Get your parents on side too. Get them to understand that you are exercising YOUR RIGHTS and protecting those that can't. Get the school and local press on board too. This could be a great school project movement.

COME ON you "US" FOLKS. Help this guy find the information he needs!!!
Henstooth

I have just gone onto the North Carolina "US STATE BY STATE" thread and posted an appeal for information asking other NC residents to read this thread and get some help for you. Hope you don't mind?
Henstooth

I'm afraid I can't do anything. My dad said if I don't forget about this, he will go out and take the boxes down himself. It is definitely hard being the only person with respect of wildlife around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back