• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A first year list (1 Viewer)

Karl J

.... well an ''about 9 months list'' anyway, since i started keeping it.

As I'm sat here idly, between getting in from work ( I saw the New Year in driving down the A14) and going out for a couple hours new year birding (hmmm ???.... rain .... big clouds .... cold ..??? ) I've put this list together from my various bits of paper, pages in books etc.

It's not particularly detailed but I've put a bit of a note by some of the better (in my view) entries, nor is it a big list by many standards but I'm really impressed with it ..... 97 in total, all on & around Breydon Water (walking distance from my house) which is way beyond what I'd hoped for at the start of it. And I'd have to say BF is to thank for taking it so very far, without the assistance the ?'s would have been decidedly bigger.

Avocet
American Golden Plover ... only one - 15.Oct for a few days
Lapwing
Black-tailed Godwit
Bar tailed Godwit
Curlew
Curlew Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Greenshank
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Redshank
Spotted Redshank
Dunlin
Oystercatcher
Golden Plover
Grey Plover
Knot
Little Stint
Snipe
Turnstone
Whimbrel
Wood Sandpiper x 2 .... 31 Aug for a few days

Arctic Skua ..... x 1... 24.July
Black Tern ... x 1 ... 21 July
Little Tern
Common Tern
Sandwich Tern
Cormorant
Black Headed Gull
Common Gull
Greater Black-backed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull

Kingfisher
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Spoonbill ....x3 ... 19 Sept
Gt Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
Red-necked Grebe ..... x1 end of Aug sometime, for about a week

Brent Goose
Canada Goose
Egyptian Goose
Greylag Geese
Pink-footed Geese
Coot
Moorhen
Mallard
Pintail
Shelduck
Teal
Wigeon
Shoveler
Tufted Duck
Mute Swan

Blackbird
Crow
Jackdaw
Rook
Collared Dove
House Sparrow
Magpie
Meadow Pipit
Woodpigeon
Jay
Blue Tit
Goldfinch
Great Tit
Greater Spotted Woodpecker
Greenfinch
Linnet
Longtailed Tit
Pied Wagtail
Yellow Wagtail
Robin
Redwing
Skylark
Wren
Snow Bunting
Reed Bunting
Reed Warbler
Whitethroat
Sedge Warbler
Cettis Warbler
Willow Warbler
Bearded Tit
Wheatear

House Martin
Swallow
Swift

Hobby
Merlin .... x 1
Marsh Harrier ... avg 1 or 2 on each trip
Kestrel
Hen Harrier ... x1
Sparrowhawk

That's not half bad for just nine months' work. There are a lot of cracking birds in there. You're very lucky to live so near such a productive site.

Jason

A good list I can vouch for the site. Breydon Water is one of the best hotspots for rarities. Like Carlos I work my local patch & it is much more rewarding than hareing about going to different sites each time.

CJ

That's a great list Carlos, and whilst it might be "only" 97, you've got some absolute corkers!!! And all within walking distance... fantastic!

Cheers, it's amazing what sheer luck can do isn't it. I get a feeling there's a lot more I haven't seen though, and it'd take someone with much better id skills than me to really give a full picture of the place.

But 2004 is up and running now ....

Carlos GY said:
it'd take someone with much better id skills than me to really give a full picture of the place.
I predict that by the end of next year you'll have amazed yourself with your progress!:t:

Jason

Managed to get Nuthatch today A difficult bird to get in North East Suffolk Also Two different Barn Owls

CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back