• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculrs for KISHY (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Extracted from long lost thread of mine
Help Please

Hi guys i'm new to this and don't knw how to post a new thread, sorry. I need advice on whether to go for opticron, bushnell, barska:
1.BUSHNELL natureview birding bins 8x42 £79
3.BARKSA 10X50 x-trail £55 (£45 AMAZON)
4.OPTICRON COUNTRYMAN MC 8x42 £104
2.BUSHNELL WATERPROOF H20 10x42 |£80 (£70 AMAZON)

The bins are for a safari in Africa so need to view in dawn and dusk.

Thanks for your help.

The UK memebers can post on good deals. I think a a basic 8x42 roof prism like Monarch would be best. There are many many more in that size.

Posted on Tero's long-lost thread as well...

Help Please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys i'm new to this and don't knw how to post a new thread, sorry. I need advice on whether to go for opticron, bushnell, barska:
1.BUSHNELL natureview birding bins 8x42 £79
3.BARKSA 10X50 x-trail £55 (£45 AMAZON)
4.OPTICRON COUNTRYMAN MC 8x42 £104
2.BUSHNELL WATERPROOF H20 10x42 |£80 (£70 AMAZON)

The bins are for a safari in Africa so need to view in dawn and dusk.

Thanks for your help.

This will sound harsh. I know. Nevertheless...

I have no experience with Opticron (not sold in the USA - that I know of) so; I will limit my comments to the others you have listed though, my guess is the Opticron would fit right in as well.

All of the binoculars you have listed are low-end, worthless toys, especially the Barska. If you are going to invest all the cash necessary to go on a safari in Africa, you really should "bite the bullet" as it were and invest in a real binocular.

Although this means spending more money than you have listed above, it doesn't mean you have to spend a small fortune to get a decent product. Bushnell Legends, Nikon Action Extremes, Pentax PCF WP IIs, and Leupold Yosemites are all examples of very good binoculars that cost around $100 - $150 USD. Any of these would be a vast improvement over the models you've listed.

Hi Kishy,

I would also recommend Bushnell 8x42 Legend porro. I own a pair and I really enjoy using them. I own much more expensive binoculars but I use the Bushnells most of the time. Their only downside is they weigh 900g but they are built to last. They are really sturdy so should take a lot of hard use.

Also the Nikon Action Ex are very good. Very similar to the Legend porros. I have been trying the 8x42 and 7x35 versions at a shop today. For what they cost, they are amazing. I think they have more contrast than the Bushnells.
The 7x35 Nikons are particularly nice as they have a very wide 9.3 degree field of view and good depth of field, and are easy on the eye so should be comfortable to use all day. They are a bit lighter than the Bushnell at 800g. (The Nikon Actin Ex 8x42s are 850g). Still quite heavy but for the quality of the view compared to the price of around £100, I would put up with the weight.

The Nikons and Bushnell are very good if you wear glasses. They have good eye-relief so I can see the entire view with my glasses on.

The main thing though is, if you can, try before you buy. If you can't, then buy them mail order and send them back if you don't like them. A bit risky as you could spend a lot of money on postage if you don't find what you want quickly.

In the low price bracket, porro prism binoculars will give you a better view for you pound.

If you want lighter weight, look at Leupold Yosemite, Vortex Raptor, Celestron Nature Series. I don't know these bins but they have good reviews.

Hope you get what you need for your safari.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back