• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird are you most proud of having in your garden? (1 Viewer)

If "froms" rather than "overs" are allowed, then I would have to go for the Buzzards and the owls - certainly Tawnies (last night being the most recent in fact) and very probably LEOs, although Mute Swan, Skylarks and Green Woodies are regulars (well this year for the swans).

"Overs" I suppose are Swifts, Swallows and House Martins, but as I don't record either "overs" or "froms" on the garden list... it's difficult to say.

Bona fide "ins", whilst not nearly as impressive as everyone else's, I suppose Whitethroat (once) and Goldfinch (every day).

Species in our yard or at our feeders for which I've had to submit descriptions and/or photos to the AZ Birds Committee: White-winged Dove, Common Ground Dove, Dusky-capped Flycatcher (< half-dozen in northern AZ), Dickcissel, and just this week, Lawrence's Goldfinch (been told this is a first ever for our county and probably for the entire northern AZ/Mogollon Rim area). Will post a photo of the last one when I get my film back. There's something to be said for digital cameras. ;)

kajrowe said:
Hello everyone,

Including fly-overs what bird are you most proud of haveing in your garden? For me it was an avocet fly-over low, 1 day after I saw my very first one! sod's law!

Kristian

P.S. Add photos if possible, please.

It has to be the 2 common crane that flew over my house last May, although that's obviously only "from". The best "in" must be Grey Wagtail.

Jerry

JerryL said:
It has to be the 2 common crane that flew over my house last May, although that's obviously only "from". The best "in" must be Grey Wagtail.

Jerry
Welcome, Jerry.

Bullfinches - regulars at my bird table.
2 GS Woodpeckers - working their way through the trees in the back of my communal garden.
Song thrushes - just because they look so good.

It would have to be the male Cerulean Warbler that came to the water mister back in august 2004, a real cracker. The wintering Rufous Hummingbird was nice as well. B :)

Pretty common birds for me but i just love seeing the Dunnocks/Hedge Accentor and Last year I had a Family of Great Tits (cat got one of them but later died of cancer. KARMA or what...)

streatham said:
I'd say it's a toss up between two birds: The Golden-winged Warbler feeding in my apple tree one May morning was pretty special (considering the dramatically declining numbers found in CT and sadly across the country too these days) and was probably the bird that got me really hooked on birding. As good as that was, probably my favourite was the Worm-eating Warblers that stayed on to breed succesfully last year - it actually makes you feel like your garden is performing a useful purpose.

Luke
Luke, I have only seen a "hand full" of Golden-winged and Worm-eating Warblers! To have them in your garden is "mind boggling". Those are great!

:clap:

mmmmmm hard one. Being used to an English suburban garden and then moving to an American rural 'yard' there all good. Bald Eagle in the trees at the bottom of the yard is up there as is Golden Eagle in the field opposite. Brown Thrasher probably and maybe those little gems Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

Fun thread! I would have to say mine is a mix. A Boreal Chickadee, which usually doesn't make it this far north; a Rose-breasted Grosbeak that stayed for a week devouring our safflower all day long, before moving north; 3 male Baltimore Orioles fighting over our oranges on the day they arrived, two years ago; and fun rare sightings (for around here) of Bluebirds, Scarlet Tanagers and a huge flock of Cedar Waxwings that ate at some berry bush on the back of our property line. I am proud of all my birds, though, for gracing me with their presence, and that of their young, knowing they feel comfy and safe. :bounce:

In my present house the best bird is Black Redstart. I had one visiting for several days 4 years ago. I get Grey Wagtail every winter.

In my previous house I had a Kingfisher in the garden once. It eyed up my fish pond for a few minutes (pond was netted!) before flying off.

Grey Heron and Grey Wagtail (we don't have a pond any more...) plus Siskin and Green Woodpecker

Ruby

In my old garden in Lincolnshire it was the Spotted Flycatcher that used to nest in the Virginia Creeper above the back door.

Common Rosefinch, May 2003, first for West Mids. Only stayed about 5 mins. I'll try and upload a pic. (not done one before!)
Mary

Attachments

• rosefinch5.jpg
    rosefinch5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 128
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back