• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London duck (1 Viewer)

psilo

seen swimming in a local london park, Cant seem to pin it down. Any ideas?

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 241
No bongofury doesnt match any of the females of our native species. Here is another view

Attachments

• duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 117
I'd say a rather dark Wigeon, possibly a hybrid. What park was this taken at? It is possible its an unusual collection species or collection/wigeon hybrid.

No doesnt strike me as being wigeon in parentage at all. More teal or Pintail, maybe a red crested pochard hybrid? have seen a few of those but they have all been males.
This was just in a local unnamed london park swimming with just mallards.

I was thinking Red-crested Pochard hybrid, but what with? The head is certainly right, though. The beak suggests Pintail but the patterning on the feathers feathers is the wrong shape, and it must be something darker then a Red-crested as the RC is much lighter then this bird-the only thing I can think of is Wigeon.

Its a female chilean pintail also sometimes called a yellow billed pintail. The bill is rather dull for this species , but it could be juvenile or of the race Anas georgica georgica .

It reminds me of Chestnut Teal, which is in several of the London parks as an ornamental species.

Having seen hundreds of Chestnut Teals myself, I don't think there is even a trace here...but who knows?

But it does remind me of both Cape Teal and Yellow-billed (Pin?)Tail/Teal

The bill shape and background head pattern suggest that there is Red-crested Pochard in it.

Maybe RCP x Chestnut Teal to account for the rich chestnut feather margins.

I don't think it is any pure species.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back