• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden eagles In lake District? (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

Been trying to find information about whether Golden Eagles are anywhere in the lake district as will be up there for weekend soon. I now they've been there in the past, any ideas if they are still there and if so, where s best to see them?

Thanks,

Tom

There is only one resident bird left in the Lake District, a male bird at Haweswater. There is an RSPB watchpoint about a mile from the car park at the end of the lake which is manned over the weekends from 11am till 4pm and the staff there are very good at finding the bird even if it is perching.

Any news on the Golden Eagle recently?

In the area this weekend hopefully so might pay a visit.

Any recent sightings?

Thanks

mate of mine was walking up there a couple of weeks ago and saw the Golden Eagle. He is a birder so knows his Eagles from his Buzzards.

The viewpoint isn't staffed until Easter, but it's still the best place for spotting him. He never leaves the valley (Riggindale - which is right at the top end of Haweswater.) He never even comes down the valley despite multiple "eagle sightings" elsewhere in the Lakes.

He's displaying well at the moment, trying to attract a female into the valley, so you'd have a reasonable chance of seeing him if you go up. Don't go beyond the viewpoint though - it causes him too much disturbance and he needs all the help he can get. If you wait until the viewpoint is staffed, you will have a much better chance of seeing him - he has several regular perches on both sides of the valley, and the RSPB volunteers can get you on to him quite easily.

Good luck.

Mike

The viewpoint isn't staffed until Easter, but it's still the best place for spotting him. He never leaves the valley (Riggindale - which is right at the top end of Haweswater.) He never even comes down the valley despite multiple "eagle sightings" elsewhere in the Lakes.

He's displaying well at the moment, trying to attract a female into the valley, so you'd have a reasonable chance of seeing him if you go up. Don't go beyond the viewpoint though - it causes him too much disturbance and he needs all the help he can get. If you wait until the viewpoint is staffed, you will have a much better chance of seeing him - he has several regular perches on both sides of the valley, and the RSPB volunteers can get you on to him quite easily.

Good luck.

Mike

He was seen whilst walking High Street & Riggindale Crag.
As Mike says if you leave it until Easter you'll have a better chance and may also get lucky with Ring Ouzel.

He was seen whilst walking High Street & Riggindale Crag.
As Mike says if you leave it until Easter you'll have a better chance and may also get lucky with Ring Ouzel.

Perfect spot for seeing him. I wasn't casting doubt on your friend's sighting, by the way, it's just that many locals and visitors alike get into Golden eagle mode when they get into the Lakes, and see eagles everywhere!

Good tip about the ring ouzels too, there's a pair in most of the side valleys off Haweswater, plus redstart, pied and spotted flycatchers, ravens, occasional peregrines, merlin etc. The section of the walk around the head of the lake is pretty good for adders too on the right day.

The bird does leave the valley - I've seen it several times coming back into Riggindale after being elsewhere - usually comes in from the left hand side whilst looking down the valley.

:eat:
I was in the lake district last week did a detour on my way to take in Hawswater, strolled round into Riggindale lot of Wheatears on the way. The Eagle was soaring round at the top of the valley at one point he came close and was mobbed by a Crow. Its a pity he cant attract a mate.

Phil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back