• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK early birding scene (1 Viewer)

The Dusky you mention was 1984 (my first year on Scilly and it had gone when I arrived, something to do with the trampling no doubt). I was a low-lister in those days but I knew my place and listened more than talking - that also seems to be less common these days.....

John

The Dusky you mention was 1984 (my first year on Scilly and it had gone when I arrived, something to do with the trampling no doubt). I was a low-lister in those days but I knew my place and listened more than talking - that also seems to be less common these days.....

John

Hi John,

Your right, just checked me notebook and it was 84. There was an Eastern Olivaceous Warbkler not to far away from that site aswell. It was problems like that that put me off twitching in the end. I've been in the 390's for over 25 years now ;)

Neil.

That's a good story, nice to hear when the Police go out of their way to help people like that

One reason I try to avoid that side of birdwatching, I'm nowhere near the level where I could be sure of ID, especially birds of prey and waders... and warblers... and gulls... and... ;) But then although I get a buzz from new birds I'm too easily contented and loathe to travel for all that chasing about. :-O

I can see that once you've seen all the regular birds you might still want the buzz of the new and that may drive people to follow up rare birds but coming into the hobby purely to pursue rare birds as a sport seems to be where some (not by any means all! I'm not tarring anyone) of the problems occur as some people doing that aren't doing it through appreciation of birds but just to get the tick. As usual the small minority tend to get noticed and this blackens the reputation of the majority of caring twitchers who'd never dream of flushing a bird to get 'a tick'.

Just a guess but perhaps the social changes in the mid-80's had an impact, there was a lot of self-centeredness in some parts of society then!

Hi Paul,

I couldn't agree more with the points you make. I would even go so far, in regard to your final coment, that the period in the mid 80's has alot to do with the moral decay in which the country, as a whole, finds itself in now.

Cheers, Neil.

ps, Not that I'm a saint of course, my morality has slipped on more than one occasion.;)

A couple of other people have commented on twitchers that have just started birding & don't know their common birds that well. People buy the best optics & automatically think they are birders & as the more experienced of us know this is far from the truth. There is nothing like learning & seeing all the common stuff first & then when your competant enough going to see the rarer birds. I'm sure people still bird in this way & good on them if they do. Don't get me wrong birding is a hobby & can be enjoyed in whatever way you enjoy the most & as we live in a free Country (an illusion) we should be free to enjoy our hobby the way we like it, providing we put the birds wellfare first. But it can be annoying going to see a bird & have people stringing anything they see as the bird in question.

I went up to Lincs to see the Black Kite 2 years ago, one of my bogie birds. I was surprised at the incompetance of the birders present. Gulls, Crows, Buzzards & a Marsh Harrier were all claimed as the Kite & some people wouldn't listen to reason & left having seen a Marsh Harrier that went onto their list as a Black Kite. I hadn't been on a twitch since the Steppe Grey Shrike in Northampton in 97 & was astonished at the very poor level of id skills.

End of rant.

Cheers, Neil.

This is also the main reason behind my rant in a earlier post, far to many people are coming into birding an going straight onto the twitching scene without getting to grips with the commoner stuff first, which at the end of the day are just as enjoyable to see on your local patch as anything else, but when a birder (and I use the word loosely) can't indentify a Lesser Kestrel from a Chaffinch (something that actually happened), then it's time to pack in, I havn't twitched a bird since the early 2000's, and I love going round my local patch everyday, I do sometimes get tempted but the thought of people pushing and shoving each other to get the best view and then just ticking a bird because they were told that, that was it, is enough to put me off.
As Neil says it is a so called free world and if thats how its done now then so be it, I'll stick with my local lake!

People concerned about pushing and shoving should have seen the queue for the House Finch on Saturday - everyone standing in line chatting, not exactly relaxed but orderly, and given the small group size even allowing the odd single to queue-jump to avoid crews being split (which is another road to madness when one of four dips). A welcome return to sanity.

John

This is a blast from the past! Certainly jogged my memory about 'Nancies' and the phone.
And that silly 'protocol' that some birders used by using rediculous 'cryptic names' for reporting sightings of potential rarities. As if anyone had Nancies phone tapped!
I did my 'norfick rounds' via a yellow suzuki dirt track bike in them days.
My addled brain has forgotten most of the names, but I can remember that at every 'twitch' you could guarantee to meet the same dozen or so people.
My birding enjoyment has changed a bit since then and nowadays, not in a million years, however 'mega' the bird was, would I do that gruel hike along uncormfortable shingle to stare into a bush at Blakeney point. I mostly certainly will never 'ride on the back' of other peoples sightings to play catch up, of course though, if I was 'in the area' and something excited turned up, I would go into twitch mode and have a gander. who wouldn't?

As an aside to the thread - what's with this current Red Kite trend? According to what I keep hearing, over and over again, while out birding, all Red Kites are males!! how do folks know they are male, and where in hell are the females hiding? :-O :-O
Joe

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back