• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a real good Bird book (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for a book on Eastern birds of the US. I want a really good one. One that identified the birds by color, song & details their habitant & has pictures of the babies.
I want to be able to identify them at all stages of their life.

Anyone have any good suggestions?:cat:

Unless anyone has anything better I'd Say Sibley's Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern North America or if you want the whole country the Sibley Bird Guide. Its an art guide & not a photo guide.

I would have said the same thing, but I couldn't remember the title, Pete. Used my whole-country Sibley's for the first time when I went back to San Diego this month, and it thumbs easily and i.d.s smoothly, though decidedly unwieldy in size and weight. I looked briefly at the Western version in the Scripps Institute shop, and it looks like the same excellent material and format, but much smaller and handier. If you're not leaving NY any time soon, Pook, I'd recommend Sibley's Eastern field guide.

There are two guides that I hear are good: (1) The Sibley Guide to Eastern Birds, and (2) The Peterson Guide. I just ordered the Sibley Guide from amazon.com. I would read the reviews well though, because each on offers something a little different. Good birding!

Jason

There is a book, rather thick, on nestlings and eggs. No guide has pictures of birds in the nests, only fledged birds. Peterson has a cheaper Eastern Nests, to show mostly the nests and eggs.

For song you have to buy CDs. There are some CD ROM bird guides that have ID help plus songs.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back