• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Had planned to arrive at Breydon at dawn which didn't quite work out (as someone sweetly pointed out to me on arrival!!!;)), due to late night - arrived a little bit later at approx lunchtime:D:'D!!!! Its a long walk round on that path to the tern end! Had mid-distant views in the sunshine of the Pacific Golden Plover at 12pm. while enjoying a blueberry jam roll in the sunshine!

Arrived at Rush Hill Scrape (passing David A. on route who had just seen it) to view Pectoral Sandpiper to miss it taking off it by literally a minute!!!!! An elderly couple watched it fly while they were watching a little stint, but didn't see which way it went! I thought I would stay for a bit to see if it came back, but time went on and on and then I thought, I have spent this long here I might aswell stay a bit longer! - then Sue B. turned up - well in the end we all gave up - no sign by 5pm! Birds seen: 1 little stint, 1 green sandpiper, several ringed plovers and little ringed plovers, avocets, black tailed godwits, lapwings, dunlins, black headed gulls, common tern - oh and 13 Barnacle geese flew in and landed (can I count these for year list what do you think?;)). Walked back to car by Potter Heigham church and found an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar crossing the road. Had lunch and tea sitting in car in rain with flask of coffee.

Studied map - looked simple - up A149 to Cromer - ended up at Wroxham - how did that happen!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway trundled through Cromer and thought about going for a 2nd look at GS Cuckoo, but opted for finding my own Pec. Sand from Daukes Hide at Cley!!! On route to Daukes passed Jamie M. and partner who had been watching the GS Cuckoo earlier eating caterpillars and ladybirds. From Dauke's until 9pm 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Little Stint, 1 Whimbrel, loads of black tailed godwits, 1 barn owl, 2 marsh harriers, loads of black headed gulls, Black backed gulls, herring gulls, 1 heron, avocets, ruffs etc etc.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
'Ladybirds on an abstract sculpture' might be the caption for pic #4, whilst the last sight, on the edge of the sandy 'cliffs', was equally amazing. Can they increase ? Do they know something we don't ?

Excellent photos John. Impressive numbers on Holme beach yesterday but nothing like this 'carpet'. We did have thousands of hoverflies and hundreds of soldier beetles (a friend on Scolt Head) was reporting the same and thousands of ladybirds.

I'd be fascinated to find out where they come from and what triggers it ... found this ladybird thread which I haven't read through yet
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=72436&page=12

mid_august visit

Hello all,
firstly I have to admit to "subscribing" to the Norfolk forum without contribution apart from the (almost) annual "On holiday in Norfolk in a week's time - what's about?" line. In truth, the contribution would (fairly obviously) be a tad difficult as we do our birding in Hampshire and the environs. However, I thought that it would be only fair to thank everyone who does post their observations here as I have been collating a list of what has been seen in my favourite haunts over the past few weeks. Looks like this year we may well be "running around" a bit more, dodging the miriad of ladybird and painted ladies, in order to see both the usual suspects and the more rare species. Mid-August may not be the "best" time - school holidays, etc but plans are to visit Hickling/Rushill scrape/Cley/Salthouse/Titchwell/Strumpshaw Fen and maybe also Upton Marsh/Cockshoot Broad ... (It is ONLY a week!) ... I love terns and so we may take the boat out to Blakeney Point but any kind suggestions for places that we SHOULD visit would be gratefully appreciated!
Hopefully the weather improves, in terms of a few contiguous days of sunshine, although both myself and my wife will brave the elements - please wave if you see sodden (Opticron) 'scope, binocular, Slingshot bag, Canon + obscene-sized lens-carrying couple on reserves!
Thank you once again!!!

Arrived at Rush Hill Scrape (passing David A. on route who had just seen it) to view Pectoral Sandpiper to miss it taking off it by literally a minute!!!!! ... 13 Barnacle geese flew in and landed (can I count these for year list what do you think?;)). Walked back to car by Potter Heigham church and found an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar crossing the road.

Oh dear - sorry to have delayed you! I'm sure there'll be another...

Yes, you can count the Barnacles if you count Greylag & Canada Goose. I reckon they'll outnumber Canada Goose soon, the way they're going. Always more satisfying to see a proper wild one among the Pink-feet though!

I only ever see Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillars crossing the road - I think that's all they do!

Young Swallows down at Gramboro'

An interesting walk out to the Hill produced around 50 young Swallows (one of which is pictured) roosting on the brambles, with a few Sand Martins. This is not a usual sight there.

I was able to watch the Cuckoo watchers at Weybourne Camp- at one time, around 100 of them.

A kissing, wheezing call was probably a young Whitethroat; although much rarer Sylvias have not been eliminated from the possibilities. I saw a 'bird'. . . once.

The RH photo shows a male Dark Bush Cricket I stalked on my knees. I haven't seen one of these so well for two years.

A drive around to Friary Hills was notable only for quite a few caterpillars on nettles, one of which is shown. A Southern Hawker continued to elude me there. Later, I managed this poor shot of a young male at Walsey. Another Wall was helpful.

Attachments

• P1090567#001.jpg
    P1090567#001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P1090600#001.jpg
    P1090600#001.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 60
  • P1090601#001.jpg
    P1090601#001.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 74
  • P1090602#001.jpg
    P1090602#001.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 53
  • P1090586#001.jpg
    P1090586#001.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Oh dear - sorry to have delayed you! I'm sure there'll be another...

Yes, you can count the Barnacles if you count Greylag & Canada Goose. I reckon they'll outnumber Canada Goose soon, the way they're going. Always more satisfying to see a proper wild one among the Pink-feet though!

I only ever see Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillars crossing the road - I think that's all they do!

Don't worry Dave we only spoke for seconds, I am sure it wouldn't have made any difference!!!!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Yesterday morning, Buckenham Marshes: Green Sand 15+, Black Wit 1, LRP 2, Ruff 5, Teal 1. No sign of the Pec I was hoping for... On the butty front, several Wall along the track and a Common Blue.

Cheers
Jono

Hi.

After spending the weekend in Devon, I was more than relieved to get the chance to visit kelling/weyborne to try to see the Great Spotted Cuckoo, especially as I missed it a couple of weeks ago.

I walked the path that takes you past the quags from kelling and ventured onto the beach. Immediately I was hit by thousands of ladybirds, it was quite a site, one of which I have never experienced before. I always thought ladybirds bites were a myth, UNTIL TODAY. The buggers. My 2 and a half year old daughter found a emperor moth caterpillar which thrilled her for a short period of time.

I walked along the beach towards weyborne for about 400 yards and then stood in anticipation with 4 or 5 other birders. 2 young cuckoos managed to get my heart racing but the joy was only short lived. I thought the cuckoos along with whitethroat were to be the highlight of the day. About to leave I caught a half second glimpse of a distant cuckoo which looked more than promising. Feeling certain I had just seen the G S Cuckoo I decided to stay. About 20 mins later, I was rewarded with cracking views of my 1st G S Cuckoo in the UK, my first look at one since 2002 in Cyprus.

A great afternoon all in all. I got to see my bird, had a great walk with my missus and kids and got back to Dereham in time to celebrate my father in laws 54th birthday with a few bottles of homebrew. Hiccup.

Cheers,
FF.

............About 20 mins later, I was rewarded with cracking views of my 1st G S Cuckoo in the UK, my first look at one since 2002 in Cyprus........

Hi John

You were lucky to see that after being away!!!!! Well done:t: sounds like you had a good day all round:t:

Best wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Hello all,
firstly I have to admit to "subscribing" to the Norfolk forum without contribution apart from the (almost) annual "On holiday in Norfolk in a week's time - what's about?" line. In truth, the contribution would (fairly obviously) be a tad difficult as we do our birding in Hampshire and the environs. However, I thought that it would be only fair to thank everyone who does post their observations here as I have been collating a list of what has been seen in my favourite haunts over the past few weeks. Looks like this year we may well be "running around" a bit more, dodging the miriad of ladybird and painted ladies, in order to see both the usual suspects and the more rare species. Mid-August may not be the "best" time - school holidays, etc but plans are to visit Hickling/Rushill scrape/Cley/Salthouse/Titchwell/Strumpshaw Fen and maybe also Upton Marsh/Cockshoot Broad ... (It is ONLY a week!) ... I love terns and so we may take the boat out to Blakeney Point but any kind suggestions for places that we SHOULD visit would be gratefully appreciated!
Hopefully the weather improves, in terms of a few contiguous days of sunshine, although both myself and my wife will brave the elements - please wave if you see sodden (Opticron) 'scope, binocular, Slingshot bag, Canon + obscene-sized lens-carrying couple on reserves!
Thank you once again!!!

You seem to have got a decent list of reserves there! If you go to Strumpshaw then you could maybe add Buckenham to the itinery, the scrapes near the mill are good for waders (usually gets similar species to Rush Hills, plus the odd dodgy wildfowl). Blakeney is your best bet for the terns, but Yarmouth has a Little Tern colony and there are Tern platforms at Breydon. Cley has had the odd Roseate and Black Tern, although you can't guarantee either. Other than that, my only suggestion would be to try some of the quieter alternatives, eg. Salthouse, Thornham, Brancaster.

Regards,
James

<edit> After the Great Spotted Cuckoo yesterday I found a Ruddy Shelduck on the marshes east of the footpath from the beach to Salthouse green. That's got to be a migrant ;)

Yesterday evening at around 7-7.30 I was walking along the track at Horsey about 1/4 mile north of the nelson head track where I then spotted 8 ducks above me.

They were very pale underneath with no distinct markings, and the face/head had a very dark stripe going along the top of it coming back from the eye. They weren't flying particularly high and the light was still good.

This may sound crazy but I believe they may of been Marbled Ducks, I know that my viewing time was limited but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

The 8 ducks flew over the dunes so I ran up to the top and tracked the birds flying east straight out to sea they did not seem to return (look out Holland).

Has anybody heard of any random reports that you may of dismissed or if someone is missing there collection?

I have seen Marbled Duck in a wild situation before so am familiar with them.

If any one can help that would be great I spent all last night scratching my head trying to come up with an id other than Marbled Duck but nothing fits the bill.

8 Marbled DucksYour ducks may have been Pintail ? I remember being in morocco trying to convince ourselves we were looking at Marbled ducks when they were actually Pintail, there was heat haze and a hangover from moroccan wine to deal with though !

Great Ryburgh (wensum Valley Raptor Watchpoint)

Has anybody been here in the last few days ? I tried there for HB today and they have ploughed the footpath up ? Does this happen every year in early August ?

cheers
Stuart

Marbled duck are quite rare in captivity. They are not the most arrtactive duck and few breeders are interested in them. Marbled teal are a lot smaller that the pintail some have sugested , but gargany are a possibilty and they do have the dark eye stripe you describe.

Stu the footpath was still there at the Wensum Valley watchpoint yesterday morning ( have not been up there today ). I will look in the morning and have a word with the estate to see whats going on. There should still be access to the top of the hill. Honey buzzards are a bit tricky at the moment , but you stand a better chance at Swanton Novers in the mornings.

James i hate to say this , but the semi wild Norfolk ruddy shielduck regulary visit the coast. I seem to remember seeing 8 on Holkham beach a few years ago and i think there were 5 or 6 at Cley a couple of years ago too. In recent years i have seen broods up to 6 at Bayfield , Sennowe Park , Melton Park and Wood Norton. Until this year we had more records of ruddy shielduck than common sheilduck at Swanton Novers.

Marbled duck are quite rare in captivity. They are not the most arrtactive duck and few breeders are interested in them. Marbled teal are a lot smaller that the pintail some have sugested , but gargany are a possibilty and they do have the dark eye stripe you describe.

QUOTE]

I ruled out Gargany due to the fact they were pale from head to tail, and Pintail are larger than the ducks I saw, I guess it will be just one of them things.

Never mind.

You seem to have got a decent list of reserves there! If you go to Strumpshaw then you could maybe add Buckenham to the itinery, the scrapes near the mill are good for waders (usually gets similar species to Rush Hills, plus the odd dodgy wildfowl). Blakeney is your best bet for the terns, but Yarmouth has a Little Tern colony and there are Tern platforms at Breydon. Cley has had the odd Roseate and Black Tern, although you can't guarantee either. Other than that, my only suggestion would be to try some of the quieter alternatives, eg. Salthouse, Thornham, Brancaster.

Regards,
James

<edit> After the Great Spotted Cuckoo yesterday I found a Ruddy Shelduck on the marshes east of the footpath from the beach to Salthouse green. That's got to be a migrant ;)

Many thanks for your reply James - as far as I can recall we haven't been to Thornham so may well give that a try. Hoping for some decent photos of Terns so Roseate (from East Bank over Arnold's?) and Black Tern would be great.
Regards,
Roy

James i hate to say this , but the semi wild Norfolk ruddy shielduck regulary visit the coast. I seem to remember seeing 8 on Holkham beach a few years ago and i think there were 5 or 6 at Cley a couple of years ago too. In recent years i have seen broods up to 6 at Bayfield , Sennowe Park , Melton Park and Wood Norton. Until this year we had more records of ruddy shielduck than common sheilduck at Swanton Novers.

It's fine, it was said tongue in cheek rather than expecting the BOU to add it to category A. I have only seen a couple in Norfolk, both inland, so it was nice to see one in a "wilder" landscape.

Hi all.

Whilst standing in my mates garden in Lyng last night going through some moth digishots, I was startled to see a Night Heron fly over towards Dereham way. I phoned birdguides as soon as I got home. They put it on their site fairly sharpish, then RBA put it on as an escaped bird. I didn't report it as an escaped bird. I now have 2 questions.

1. What would the chances be of the Night Heron being a genuine bird? We have had Little Bittern, get Purple Herons most years so why not Night Heron. The stretch of Wensum valley that runs from Lenwade to almost Fakenham is an ideal habitat for such birds.

2. I guess this is why it is assumed as a Escapee. About 20 years ago a few Night Herons escaped from Great Witchingham Wildlife Park. They managed to breed and for several years were seen in the Lyng/Sparham area. My mate who watches the area most days has not seen a Night Heron in the area for at least five years. If the bird I saw was indeed a descendant of the escaped birds from years ago, would this make Night Heron a self sustaining bird?

I am not trying to make this a genuine rarity and realise we do get escaped birds in the wild. I will never know the true origin.

Regards.
Fow.

N-Herons...

A friend watches the Guist bridge & has had the Night Heron regularly lately. Sadly it didn't put in an appearance when I went down but a wonderful spot non-the less.

I know Herons are long-lived but there is a possibility they have established a small population in the valley... secretive things them Night Heron.

Not really answered your questions but I wondered about it too. Is it one bird or breeding birds from the original escaped stock? Interesting stuff... :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back