• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

woodpecker (1 Viewer)

tamsea

I'm new at birding. Have had male and female downy woodpeckers in my backyard. But have a new one coming. It looks like a downy but has a rusty/brown cap on top of its head. (just on top) It could be a brownish/red color instead.
This isn't a downy is it? It looks kind of like a female yellow-bellied sapsucker but ....it looks like its chest is white. Any ideas??
I'm live in Northern Ohio.

Juvenile Downies have a reddish crown patch (forehead patch). could this be what you're talking about?

Thank you so much. That makes sense. I have one small bird book and it didn't list that as an identification mark of juveniles.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back