• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hippolais (1 Viewer)

rafo1

Anyone care to confirm the ID of this bird before I put it in the gallery, its 1 of several that require a thumbs up. It was taken in the desert near Qatbit, Oman; no voice it was 44deg in the shade and it took everything to breath, I believe it to be Upcher's Warbler (Hippolais Languida) but Olivaceous (Hippolais Pallidais) is also a distinct possibility as they are both about at the time of year - mid april.

Colin :cool:

Attachments

• Hippolais ----.jpg
    Hippolais ----.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 358
Its no Olivaceaous... would want to rule out Olive-tree though and can't remember how just now!

Added: Ah yes Primary projection! Yes it looks great for Upchers, but I'm basing all that on build and demeanor!

I've seen "elaeica" Olivaceous (they are split now aren't they?) and it looked much smaller than this.

If you say it's Upchers that sounds fine by me - never seen one, but I thought that it was Olive Tree that had the more prominent pale wing panel? That looks to be very prominent.

I think the tertial spacings in particular probably clinch this as Upcher's, middle tertial is closer to longest than shortest (more equal spacings in other Hippolais).

Dave

How about this shot, any clearer. I've got a few more from various angles as well. There's apparently a size difference I believe the Olivaceous is smaller. Olive tree - only one record in Oman.

:cool:

Attachments

• Hippolais 1.jpg
    Hippolais 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 384
Collins says that the supercillium on Olive Tree doesn't reach behind the eye, but does on Upchers. So that's another point in favour of Upchers.

tom mckinney said:
I've seen "elaeica" Olivaceous (they are split now aren't they?) and it looked much smaller than this.

If you say it's Upchers that sounds fine by me - never seen one, but I thought that it was Olive Tree that had the more prominent pale wing panel? That looks to be very prominent.

Taxonomy note:

The old Olivaceous Warbler - Hippolais pallida was split on the Clement's and the SM to Western Olivaceous Warbler - Hippolais opaca (monotypic) and Eastern Olivaceous Warbler - Hippolais pallida with subspecies elaeica, pallida, reiseri and laeneni. Upcher's Warbler Hipplais languida has never been associated as far as I know and is monotypic. But, the much more authoritative Howard & Moore by virtue of the fact that some species treated in old Hippolais are more related to Acrocephalus than some of the other members of old Hippolais have place Booted Warbler, Syke's Warbler and Olivaceous Warbler into new genus Iduna. Their Olivaceous Warbler (Iduna pallida) contemplates subspecies opaca, elaeica, tamariceti, reiseri, pallida and laeneni.

I have no experiance of either Upchers or Olive Tree, but none the less after consulting the Collins guide I would have to go for Upchers.
As Jayne pointed out Olive Tree is excluded by the primary projection, but also the undertail coverts and sides on this species is not unlike Barred warbler according to Collins(though my terminology).
Collins also goes on to state that the primarys and tail on Upchers are dark and indeed the photo's show these features.
There is the slight possibility of Olivaeceous Warbler, however the birds build and jizz seems to be wrong for this species.
I have seen Olivaeceous Warblers with pale primary panels in the past in autumn but I am unsure if they show this in spring.
Nice shots now i know what im looking for when im next in the Golan heights.

Thanks everybody for that, don't know why I waited so long to join bird forum, learning curves going up.

Colin :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back