• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Color Matching Test #2 (1 Viewer)

mitch166@comcas

Mitch Waite
This is a new test I have assembled based on what I learned from the first test, which had a number of problems.

This new test uses solid web safe colors instead of graidents, it separates the primary from the secondary colors, and some other things.

Just for reference, the advisory board I assembled is debating what colors to use for a key to identifying birds. There is a question about what colors people can identify easily. Some want to just use primary colors, others think we can include colors like rufous, olive, etc. To help settle the issue one of the ornithologist on the board suggested I put together a short color matching test.

I would very much appreciate if anyone on this board would be willing to take the test. I will share results once I get enough answers. The test is anonymous, no names are recorded. The project is non profit. Here is the link.

http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch2.htm

Thanks

Mitch

To help settle the issue one of the ornithologist on the board suggested I put together a short color matching test.

http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch2.htm

Thanks

Mitch

Mitch, not wishing to be too pedantic, but there are only 3 Primary Colours and 3 Secondary colours. the rest are mixtures of either or, with the possibility of additions of the negatives, white or black.

Ref:- Munsel Colour System.

Regards

Malky.

Couldn't complete it - the last two, none of the names matched the colour, so I left them blank and explained why in the comments box, but the program won't accept questions left blank

Michael

Hi Mitch,

mitch166@comcas said:
Right you have to select an answer or the results will not make any sense. Maybe I need a none of the above answer for you?
That, or a 'write-in name here' box

Actually, I think that might be a much more interesting way of testing colour perception and names, just have a set of colours, with a write-in box next to each, so people aren't constrained by a limited choice of names

Michael

Hi Mitch,

I just test ran the id-site, and tried to find Allen's Hummingbird. I noticed that after 'shape' I did 'colors' and checked 'green', 'red' and 'white' and pressed continue and it said: 'green' or 'red' or 'white' and it left me with 11 possibilities. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to choose between 'and' and 'or'. Or is this a technical restriction?

Hope this will help.

André

I am talking with the programmer right now about adding an AND option. Its a difficult choice for us since it goes against the philosophy of the engine of always getting an answer and puts it back with all the other search engines that do AND. But we can try it.

The way it would work is if you check he AND radio button, a window would pop up that says "Warning - selecting this mode may lead to no results. Use this mode with caution." And when you select the next attribute it would go back to OR, as well as when you start over.

I'm using primary and secondary to mean first and second choices, not the actual definition of primary colors.

Mitch, what made you pick the actual 11 colours (plus the Black, Grey and White)from all others available.

Regards

Malky, being curious, again.

Mitch,
I've seen second hand car sites where they have this counterbox wherein is the number of results for your search criteria. So if the initial number of cars in the system is 100 and you select e.g. Honda from the brand pulldown, you might get 12 (on the fly) and after that you select Accord and there are no Honda Accords in the system you might get 0 without refreshing the page, so you could try another type of Honda and see what kind of result that brings.
I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm giving it a thought.

Would this solve the problem? Guess so!

André

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back