• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attachment options (1 Viewer)

XsCode

After getting some pretty good results with my Skywatcher ED80 "Astro scope" + DSLR I want to try some Videoscoping with a similar setup, so with a recent windfall I've purchased a Canon HFM306 camcorder and wondered about attachment options. Do I HAVE to use the afocal method or can I just get a 37mm -> T-Mount adapter?

P.S. Is there any way a mod can crosspost this to the Astro Telescopes forum for more coverage?

I videoscope using the afocal method with my Swarovski scope and EagleEye 12x Digiscoping Eyepiece. If you connect your camcorder to the scope without an eyepiece you will find that the recorded image is upside down. Does the 37mm - T-Mount adapter utilize the eyepiece or does it fit directly to the scope body?

I would suggest holding your camcorder up against the scope with or without an eyepiece and see which method works. Vignetting may be a problem depending on the magnification of the scope's eyepiece, the lower the better from my experience.

Mike

After some experimenting, it seems I have to use an eyepiece in order to get any kind of image. I only have one eyepiece at the moment, the one that came with the scope, a 28mm. Holding the camcorder to the eyepiece showed severe vignetting, but removing the rubber eyepiece ring meant I could get the camcorder lens within a couple of mm of the eyepiece lens and completely eliminate the vignetting. now i just need to work out a mounting system.

After reading the specification of the camcorder, apart from videoscoping, I think that you have two further options to try. Firstly, have you tried the "advanced zoom"? This will give a slightly higher magnification (18X) with minimal loss in image quality, worth a try. Secondly, you could attach a 2x or 3x converter lens onto the camcorder to double or triple the magnification.

I use a Panasonic SD90 which has a 26x optical zoom and 40x "intelligent zoom", the equivalent of Canon's advanced zoom. Results are excellent and well up to my self-imposed strict standards. Also I attach a Sony high-grade 2x converter lens for extra magnification. The combination of the two gives approx. 44x actual magnification which is almost in the realms of videoscoping. Bear in mind that the higher magnification you use, the more problems you will have with heat haze and air turbulence which will affect the video quality.

If you are interested I have posted threads in both the videoscoping and video sections here on BF on my initial experiences with the SD90.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back