• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat ... greater or lesser? Tivat, Montenegro (1 Viewer)

General Melchett

About 35 miles behind the front line
Supporter
I'm thinking LW due to size and pale breast, but does LW have a white eye ring?

Site is coastal saltmarsh, NW Montenegro.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6014.jpg
    IMG_6014.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 117
Neil,

Good point! Leg colour makes sense but was expecting to see more of a white moustache. Thanks. Learning all the time! :t:

Hi Richard,
Some Lesser do indeed have pale "spectacles" according to the Collins, but the legs are not dark. It certainly has a very clean white throat, but lacking pink on the chest so not male Whitethroat. Which suggests as Parker says, the Subalpine female

Thanks Lou and Andy, and thanks for the pointers Andy. I'm seeing it now. I think sometimes I get a bit excited by supercilia, moustaches and the like and fail to look at obviously crucial points such as leg colour!! :eek!:

No excuses as there are more subalpines around here at the moment than you can shake a stick at!

Must pay attention!

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back