• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TLS Apo adapter and full format camera (1 Viewer)

This is news for me. i was hoping to buy an ATX scope and use the TLS APO to connect to a Nikon D800 or D700.
It would be worth contacting Swarovski to find out if it will work or not.
I don't fancy spending £362 to find it vignetting.

TLS APO with full frame sensors

After seeing your thread I phoned Swarovski Optik and they say that full frame DSLRs are not suitable as they cause vignetting. I think I can get round this by switching the Nikon D800 to DX mode. I have an opportunity to try this out later this month when the Swarovski rep will be visiting my local dealer. He very kindly asked me to bring along the camera to try the system out.

Richard

This is unfortunate

After seeing your thread I phoned Swarovski Optik and they say that full frame DSLRs are not suitable as they cause vignetting. I think I can get round this by switching the Nikon D800 to DX mode. I have an opportunity to try this out later this month when the Swarovski rep will be visiting my local dealer. He very kindly asked me to bring along the camera to try the system out.

Richard

Richard,

With the Nikon d800 you still have AF at f8 and therefore can combine several
TC with a good lens (2.8). At least you will get better than the TLS 800 with AF and exposure management.

It is unfortunate that Swaroski did not communicate clearly about this.
|:mad:|

Trial of TLS APO

Well I tried out to TLS APO today. Firstly I attached it to my Nikon D800 and immediately noticed the vignetting. This problem was easily solved by going into the camera menu and switching the Nikon to DX mode. The TLS APO produced superb results and was very simple to use. I bought one along with the new ATX 85mm scope. Can't wait until Saturday to field test the combination.

Decided to buy a Swarovski rail to balance the whole rig and reduce possible camera shake. I think a cable release will help also.

Excellent combination.

Why not use a 50mm objective?

Richard,
If you have a 50mm objective, it would be a nice test if you compared it's use on traditional digiscopy (with autofocus and full frame!), to the use of the TLS Apo...;)

Rick,
Unlike the Nikon FSA-L2 the TLS Apo should vignette in all magnifications but Richard will confirm.

I think it did vignette throughout the zoom range. I will check at the weekend and let you know for certain.

David I don't have a 50mm lens. However my son owns one and will be home in 4 weeks.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back