• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will there still be a D400 (1 Viewer)

I too am disappointed with the lack of a D400 or pro level DX. The D600, D800, and D7100 are good, but there is still a gap.

The big features that are missing in the current DX lineup are frame rate, build quality, and AF precision. The D4 has a lot of these features, so they are possible but not delivered in DX. The D600 and D7000 have been quite a bit short.

There are some new technologies that have not been released in a DSLR and appear promising. One is mirrorless. If you want a fast frame rate, mirrorless or transparent mirrors look quite promising. The frame rate of the V1/V2 are quite impressive since you no longer have to move a mirror. And silent operation can be a benefit. In situations like birding, mirrorless offers the ability to digitally zoom for precise focus (like Live View through a viewfinder). It also provides much better viewing and focus in low light since it incorporates the benefit of ISO.

The other feature that should be upcoming is a tablet or smart phone control system. Think of it as enhanced tethering - without the tether. There is a new product called CamRanger that essentially allows control of the camera settings, focus and shutter release using this method. The camera companies are almost certain to put this in the camera or offer it as an option. And might as well have a Nikon App to control the entire menu and synch changes. This kind of function is really close right now and logically would be delivered in a pro DX body.

XQD cards also offer potential for superior write speeds. SD cards are slow compared to CF - roughly 30% slower comparing the best of each. First generation XQD is faster than CF and promises to be much faster in future revisions. So a high frame rate camera will be using XQD CF at the pro level.

I think the D400 will still happen. Why?
  1. People won't let go of it. the D7100 was only announced a few days ago and I already read many many people's early reaction is that they want more, a full pro DX body, a "mini D4."
  2. The rumors seem persistent that Canon will release the 7DMarkII, and many believe Nikon will not allow that camera to go unmatched.
  3. Although the new D7100 was called the "flagship DX" on some web sites, that was pretty quickly negated, even by Nikon reps. See here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50901841 Plus Nikon clearly left "room" for a more completely professional DX model above the D7100, although it might bump into the pricing of the entry level FX bodies. So what? The people who want it won't care.
  4. As I said in another post, despite Nikon's disappointing offering of pro DX lenses and bodies, I think APS-C is a legitimate format within the "high end" market, and it isn't quite ready to be relegated entirely over to the compact/mirrorless world. Nikon must be aware of the small segment of the high end dSLR market that won't happily move to FX. I think they just made a calculated decision to make us wait because we are a minority.
Last I heard, the 7DMarkII was rumored for the second half of the year, maybe August or Photokina time. It is encouraging that the Japanese rumor predicts Nikon will not wait that long to announce a D400. We'll see.

--Dave

I hope you are right, the D7100 is ok but not quite the frame rate / buffer needed for action and wildlife.
Id hope for a D400 24mp 9fps a big buffer for NEF shooting .......Id pay D800 money+ for an awesome pro DX body.

I too am disappointed with the lack of a D400 or pro level DX. The D600, D800, and D7100 are good, but there is still a gap.

The big features that are missing in the current DX lineup are frame rate, build quality, and AF precision. The D4 has a lot of these features, so they are possible but not delivered in DX. The D600 and D7000 have been quite a bit short.

There are some new technologies that have not been released in a DSLR and appear promising. One is mirrorless. If you want a fast frame rate, mirrorless or transparent mirrors look quite promising. The frame rate of the V1/V2 are quite impressive since you no longer have to move a mirror. And silent operation can be a benefit. In situations like birding, mirrorless offers the ability to digitally zoom for precise focus (like Live View through a viewfinder). It also provides much better viewing and focus in low light since it incorporates the benefit of ISO.

The other feature that should be upcoming is a tablet or smart phone control system. Think of it as enhanced tethering - without the tether. There is a new product called CamRanger that essentially allows control of the camera settings, focus and shutter release using this method. The camera companies are almost certain to put this in the camera or offer it as an option. And might as well have a Nikon App to control the entire menu and synch changes. This kind of function is really close right now and logically would be delivered in a pro DX body.

XQD cards also offer potential for superior write speeds. SD cards are slow compared to CF - roughly 30% slower comparing the best of each. First generation XQD is faster than CF and promises to be much faster in future revisions. So a high frame rate camera will be using XQD CF at the pro level.

Interesting points Eric.
have to agree about the XQD cards - they are awesome on the D4 - will be interesting to see how widespread their adoption will be.
IMO Mirrorless is not yet an option - as a V1 user - I was disappointed by the current display - BUT - it has a lot of potential in future applications - as you so aptly pointed out.

Pasquier,

When you’re talking about display, are you meaning the menu or ‘display’ as in a product display, the range of product choice?

Eric,

I take this will be some kind of Smartphone device app, which will do away with the conventional remote firing, nice if it can be incorporated within the design features of the camera. But, would it be available through the range?

The big concern I have over Nikon is we are seeing quite a hike in RRP, the biggest market is the low-mid range, and the biggest profit margins are with the professional side.
I still think that subsequence generations will be more prone to purchase lighter more pocket shaped devices for imagery.

I agree that the mirrorless is going to do well, but again are people that interested in carrying and buying lenses?

The other feature that should be upcoming is a tablet or smart phone control system... This kind of function is really close right now and logically would be delivered in a pro DX body.

Yes, I agree. I'm very hopeful the D400 will have built-in wireless, as the Canon 7DM2 is rumored to have. Much better than that dumb little add-on adapter hanging off the side of the camera. Currently the Nikon app for remote control is pretty primitive; it will surely get better. But already I think it is possible to hide a camera pointed at a nest, remotely monitor the live view, set the focus point, and fire the shutter. Are there any threads about pioneering this? This Youtube shows how the apps work (not that great yet).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mtxcEfnP8

Dave

Last edited:
Interesting points Eric.
have to agree about the XQD cards - they are awesome on the D4 - will be interesting to see how widespread their adoption will be.
IMO Mirrorless is not yet an option - as a V1 user - I was disappointed by the current display - BUT - it has a lot of potential in future applications - as you so aptly pointed out.

For a camera body, Panasonic has to be included in the discussion of mirrorless. I am eagerly waiting for a better long lens for that system, so for wildlife it is not completely there yet.

Niels

For a camera body, Panasonic has to be included in the discussion of mirrorless. I am eagerly waiting for a better long lens for that system, so for wildlife it is not completely there yet.

Niels

I think we've all been waiting a v-e-r-y long time! 600mm effective is good, but just doesn't quite cut it for me - and where's the fast glass?

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back