• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 contemporary (1 Viewer)

Yes, those shots look pretty good. Looking forward to seeing some good comparison shots of Sports lens vs Contemporary lens, both at 600mm.

I am hoping that the Contemporary is going to be as sharp as the Sports, at least in the centre of the frame on a crop sensor camera body such as 7D2 or 70D, I would then trade in my Tammy 150-600 for the Siggy Contemporary 150-600 !

they will be displaying them on the sigma stand at the photo show next weekend ,so hopefully i will get a chance to appraise one side by side ,the only shortsighted thing i can say about sigma is that they tend to leave the testing to PRO photographers that normally use equipment the likes of us mere mortals cannot afford ,i.e with the sport loads of tests and reports with 5d3's ,1dx,cameras etc but nothing at all with the lower and older end of the market .
i hope that some of my posts will have helped others in that direction .the PRO'S tend to compare to the lenses they normally use to such as the latest 500 and 600 primes from canon and nikon and will not in fact be classing these lenses as a upgrade like we do .if i had listened to some of the test reports i read i would never have bought mine ,luckily a friendly sigma rep let me try one out for a hour and i was hooked line and sinker .

It does look quite impressive! And in general the background looks pretty good too, although the witch-hazel shoot does show the lens' limitations in that respect. It's not in anyway worse than my EF100-400L IS, though.

Thomas

Talked to day with the importer for Sigma in Denmark, the 150-600 C Nikon mount are planned to be released in Denmark at 11. May 2015.

That's good to hear. I have a friend going to the Photography Show at the NEC this weekend - I've asked him to handle both lenses and let me know what he thinks of the build quality of them both. He's actually a landscape fan rather than wildlife but it's the closest I am going to get to them :t:

they should have the C on the sigma stand ,but perhaps they have allowed it/them to be taken outside for test shots ,i'll see if i can find one tomorrow and report back

Thanks Jeff it would be much appreciated. My friend is a useless numpty for not pursuing my best interests over his own - but he is there for his own enjoyment I suppose 3:)

If this reach you in time: ask if the contemporary lens eventually will also appear for micro4/3 mount

Niels

Hi Paul,
I will be following and posting here. I hope to hear any informations from The Photography Show event. So hopefully.. :)
Cheers,
John

The lens is very well made indeed a lot lighter than the sports for sure ,the a.f (indoors) seemed to grab on at the same speed as the sport ,got a few shots of the roof beams in the hall but it might give a degree of a idea of sharpness ,the rep said there hoping to get them in the shops early April . Looks a good buy that's for certain ?

There are no plans for a micro 4/3rds version at the moment h

The lens is very well made indeed a lot lighter than the sports for sure ,the a.f (indoors) seemed to grab on at the same speed as the sport ,got a few shots of the roof beams in the hall but it might give a degree of a idea of sharpness ,the rep said there hoping to get them in the shops early April . Looks a good buy that's for certain ?

There are no plans for a micro 4/3rds version at the moment h

Wow, thanks for this information and update! :)
Cheers,
John

Thanks Jeff. My friend went back but couldn't find it. But he did speak to someone who suggested it would start at £950ish, so if the performance is similar to the Tamron then hopefully the price on both will drop over the summer and I can get one of them for autumn!

Thanks again

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back