• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Dipper - Pyrenees, France (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
All I can say is that we were drawn to a dipper that a white tummy and resembled the following:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2611

I can't recall a dipper like this. I spoke to my friend in the parc national (bird ringer) who couldn't think of a instance either...

Anyone shed some light or could this be an eastern subspecies?

If this could be of interest I will endeavour to get some photographic evidence.

I'm sure that it will turn out to be a Juv particularly if thzy breed this early.- I will endeavour to get a piccie - new camera arrived.

Co-incidentely, I watched the Swiss Wallcreeper film last night - L'oisseau papillon. It talked about the Wallcreeper (in Switzerland but no reason to believe would be different here) breeding in May to have fledgelings in June - the adults then take the young to the mountain tops. This could be a revelation - there are places I see the bird in May and June and I have always thought they haven't gone high to breed yet - it does open the possibilty that it is in fact breeding somewhere in the vacinity! I have one specific cliff that I have seen birds on in every month of the year except July and August and this could explain it....

I'm sure that it will turn out to be a Juv particularly if thzy breed this early.- I will endeavour to get a piccie - new camera arrived.

Co-incidentely, I watched the Swiss Wallcreeper film last night - L'oisseau papillon. It talked about the Wallcreeper (in Switzerland but no reason to believe would be different here) breeding in May to have fledgelings in June - the adults then take the young to the mountain tops. This could be a revelation - there are places I see the bird in May and June and I have always thought they haven't gone high to breed yet - it does open the possibilty that it is in fact breeding somewhere in the vacinity! I have one specific cliff that I have seen birds on in every month of the year except July and August and this could explain it....

Very, very nice. Fingers crossed!

I spoke to the parcs about the bird (before the above comments) and he came back with apparentely there are so 'white-bellied' birds somewhere round the col du portalet but he doesn't know more than that...
Interesting.

In the absense of a photo I will keep it in the juv file...

Ratal as for the wallcreeper I now know for certain that I found the nest 2 years ago near Soulor based on 'new' timings and bird re-visiting a woodpecker type hole but not going in etc etc. it was too far but would assume now that he was feeding female...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back