• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-billed vs Black-billed Cuckoo call difference - Northeast US (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
Hey everyone,

Sorry but I don't have audio. I am not the best with bird calls and songs, so I need a little help here.

I heard a Cuckoo yesterday and today in the same spot and only one call each time. My general impression is Yellow-billed. It did the "cow" type of call that sounds a bit like knocking and it was steady and slowed down at the end getting a little softer. I listened online to the different calls of the two and it seems the Black-billed is a faster call and doesn't slow down at the end. Is this always the case? I would like to ID this one by ear if possible. I don't think he will present himself, but I will go back out maybe tomorrow again before work to the same park. The Cuckoo seems back in the woods obscured and over a little canal, so I can't seem to find him with binos from my vantage point through the foliage.

From your description, I would call it a Yellow-billed over Black-billed with fair confidence. I wish I had more field experience with Black-billeds (doesn't everybody?), but have never heard them call like a Yellow-billed.

From your description, I would call it a Yellow-billed over Black-billed with fair confidence. I wish I had more field experience with Black-billeds (doesn't everybody?), but have never heard them call like a Yellow-billed.

Thanks Randy. Me too...I've seen more Yellow-billed, but don't have too much experience with either. Last year I saw a pair of Yellow-billed and that was it (no Black-billed). The two years prior I saw one of each species (each year). So far this Spring it has been just hearing the calls, but it's still early.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back