• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Hello Great Bustard,

I was with a pal of mine (with our cameras) and think we followed those riflemen and a lone photographer, at approx 15.45. (didn't see the horses though) We also travelled in a South to North direction across the middle of 2 fields on the visitor centre side adjacent to the railway embankment.

Anyway if it was the same person, then he was definitely 'on track' as we watched him cross over the first style and head directly towards the second style where both are clearly marked with arrows on the posts signifying public right of way, this cuts straight through the middle of those fields. We actually followed the same track.

So why am i writing this - well we watched him through our lenses and he certainly wasn't throwing stuff. Plus if we had been about 10 mins ahead it would have been us disturbing Owls as we walked and we would have been accused.

There is a big difference in following a public right of way and spooking birds as you approach or pass by them, opposed to deliberately throwing stones to flush them, or letting dogs run off leads or racing motorbikes across nature reserves.

Well, if you didnt see the horses then i guess you must have missed them. As for the guys with rifles, iv seen them a few times, possibly different times to yourself.
I was not aware that the public right of way was in the field that runs directly along the embankment of the railway line, if this is the case then i publically apologise. At no point have i suggested that this person had thrown items to flush the owls, however deliberately or unintentionally the owls were being disturbed as a result of walking the embankment,again if this is a public right of way then i apologise. If there is a difference in the terminolgy "Flushed" or "Spooked" then again i apologise.
You have mentioned that you were following A lone photographer. As im sure your aware there are many lone photographers visit this site. You appear to jumped to an assumption that the guy i have mentioned and the guy you were watching are the same guy, may i add that i saw only one person, as mentioned.... 2 other people did not, as far as im aware follow the lone photographer. So perhaps you have not been watching the same lone photographer as i had been watching,with a good view, from the top of the hill next to the visitor centre.

Degsy, i would like to think that all birders who read, post or both on this forum are responsible decent birdwatchers, including yourself. I never actually thought for one minute this photographer would be a DBC or forum member. Im sure everyone has been guilty one time or another of going astray, probably because routes are not clearly marked or people are not familiar with a location. Im not on here to judge people, i mearly passed comment on what i had seen.

If anyone has assumed that they are the person who was mentioned, and i have caused offence then again i apologise.

Cheers

Ian

Rokermartin - my wife told me there was also a bit on local BBC TV last week on Thursday or Wednesday morning (i think) explaining that this was one of the few places in the UK where all 5 resident UK owls could be seen.
Think their will be a few more sites in the UK where you can see all 5 Owls species.Certainly we do very well for Owls in Durham.Just cannot understand why we have had visiting birders travelling for miles just to see SE Owls.They are certainly not rare birds and you can see them no bother elsewhere in the UK.As for LEOs they can be found thru out the UK ,you just have to put a bit more of effort into seeing them.If i was a Scottish birder living in Edinburgh and i had been reading that article Ross did for Rainton Meadows,Hetton Bogs i certainly would'nt have been making the journey down to Rainton Meadows and Hetton bogs just to see Owls and Water Rails.Find it very strange

Last edited:
Houghton area Local Patch / Spring Bird Race

1st winter Glaucous Gull again today.
2 Reed Buntings singing strongly now.
2 Kestrel pairs spiraling high close together.
Jack Snipe kicked up at while trying to entice / catch very wary black dog.... (obviously prefers duck to chocolate biscuits) :cat:

-------------------------------

Looking ahead to warmer days.......10th May 2008
The DWT Big Bird Race - Enter a team and see how many birds you can spot across DWT reserves in 24 hours.
There are prizes for the team spotting the most birds and a bonus prize for getting the super six - the rarest birds on their reserves. :king:
The race starts and finishes at Rainton Meadows and runs from noon Saturday to noon Sunday. Contact DWT for an entry form and a copy of the race rules. Booking is essential please call 0191 5843112.

Steve

I've had wrens sitting on the end of my lens before :)

I'll have words - the rails know they have to perform for visitors and anything less than 100% co-operation won't be tolerated.

John, sitting on the end of your lens it was still probably about 10-12 feet away:-O

I spent most of the day in the Hamster forest. No sign of any Gos but there was still plenty to entertain me. Birds included...

Sparrowhawk
Green and Great Spotted woodies
Crossbill
Golden Plover (flew over)
Goldcrest
Treecreeper
Dipper

By mid afternoon i decided to drive over to the Gentlemens club at Langdon Beck. 22 birds feeding and sitting on walls.
I'm afraid the 320mm lens didn't quite cut it but it was worth a try.

Attachments

• flying.jpeg
    flying.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 97
  • lots.jpeg
    lots.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 82
  • black.jpeg
    black.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 80
  • water.jpg
    water.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 83
Hi Steve might change my birdforum name to number 1 hole finder i am a expert at that as well.If you want any holes finding and identifying just let me know.See you have been talking to Jas.

Well, if you didnt see the horses then i guess you must have missed them. As for the guys with rifles, iv seen them a few times, possibly different times to yourself.
I was not aware that the public right of way was in the field that runs directly along the embankment of the railway line, if this is the case then i publically apologise. At no point have i suggested that this person had thrown items to flush the owls, however deliberately or unintentionally the owls were being disturbed as a result of walking the embankment,again if this is a public right of way then i apologise. If there is a difference in the terminolgy "Flushed" or "Spooked" then again i apologise.
You have mentioned that you were following A lone photographer. As im sure your aware there are many lone photographers visit this site. You appear to jumped to an assumption that the guy i have mentioned and the guy you were watching are the same guy, may i add that i saw only one person, as mentioned.... 2 other people did not, as far as im aware follow the lone photographer. So perhaps you have not been watching the same lone photographer as i had been watching,with a good view, from the top of the hill next to the visitor centre.

Degsy, i would like to think that all birders who read, post or both on this forum are responsible decent birdwatchers, including yourself. I never actually thought for one minute this photographer would be a DBC or forum member. Im sure everyone has been guilty one time or another of going astray, probably because routes are not clearly marked or people are not familiar with a location. Im not on here to judge people, i mearly passed comment on what i had seen.

If anyone has assumed that they are the person who was mentioned, and i have caused offence then again i apologise.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Good point - i guess i wrongly assumed that seeing the 4 lads with bagged rifles put us in the same place at the same time - i suppose not.

Anyway the path alongside the embankment is clearly marked and the styles that allow you to progress across the two big fields parallel to the railway are clearly marked with a vertical arrow. The route is actually quite visible when you are in those fields as its quite well trodden and bisects them almost across the middle. If you follow the trodden route you will be approx 100 or more yards away from the railway embankment.

Had a look down the coast this afternoon, arrived at Hartlepool just as a Female Sparrowhawk took a feral Pigeon off a roof. 170 Eider on the sea with 3-4 Red Throated Divers . 64 Purple Sandpipers about in total , with 56 roosting on the pier, and another 8 at Newburn amongst the Knot and Ringed Plover. Med Gull still there ,posing on its lampost .
Had a look to Greenabella , 29 Twite showing well , with 9 Shoveler also there.
A Short Eared Owl flew past at 4 pm , harassed by Herring Gulls, with 48 Stock Dove coming in to roost on the wires.

Attachments

• holo 001.jpg
    holo 001.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 84
  • hrtlo 010.jpg
    hrtlo 010.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 75
  • holo 017.jpg
    holo 017.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 75
  • hrtlo 014.jpg
    hrtlo 014.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 91
  • hrtlo 009.jpg
    hrtlo 009.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 114
Spent today in the southern part of the Durham recording area trying to add to my life/year & county lists, first stop was,
Norton Churchyard
The Hume's Leaf Warbler was showing extremely well behind the church, also about were a male Blackcap, a Goldcrest and 2 each of Long-tailed Tit & Goldfinch.

Then onto Saltholme Pools
Pretty much as expected here with Great-crested Grebe, Shelduck, Wigeon, Gadwall, Shoveler, Pochard and at least 6 Pintail.

Cowpen Marsh
The Water Pipit was still present, seen from the pull-off opposite Holme Fleet.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park
Walked up to the main lake, set up the scope and bang on cue the Little Gull flew in and landed. Also seen on lake amongst others were Shoveler, Gadwall, Goldeneye, Pochard and a pair of Little Grebe.

Hartlepool Headland just a quick look;
still lots of Common Scoter & Eider offshore, also Cormorant, Shag, Redshank and Ringed Plover.

Hurworth Burn Reservoir called in on the way home;
Tree Sparrow at the feeding station, plus 1 Great-crested Grebe, 2 Shelduck, 4 Oystercatcher and a Redshank

Neil

I spent most of the day in the Hamster forest. No sign of any Gos but there was still plenty to entertain me. Birds included...

Sparrowhawk
Green and Great Spotted woodies
Crossbill
Golden Plover (flew over)
Goldcrest
Treecreeper
Dipper

By mid afternoon i decided to drive over to the Gentlemens club at Langdon Beck. 22 birds feeding and sitting on walls.
I'm afraid the 320mm lens didn't quite cut it but it was worth a try.

Hi there

Other half was just wondering whereabouts in Hamsterly Forest do you need to be to see Crossbills? Looks like we might be having a trip over there this week.

We should have had an outing to Teesdale today as I was there too, as was Geordie Graham :t:

I went over to The Stang first of all. Heading up there a Buzzard was circling below the forest. Near the top forest edge around 20 Crossbill in the trees alongside the road - unfortunately the side in shadow rather than in the sun. Also quite a few Siskin, Coal Tit and loads of Chaffinch. Wren, Robin and Dunnock. As I pulled off the road by the bend a Goshawk shot out of the trees and over the road. It may have been the same one I saw crossing the moor into N.Yorks half an hour later.

Next stop was the area around Kinninvie which only produced one Buzzard and one Stonechat a male. I carried on up the dale to Egglestone Common where I picked up two more Buzzard and a few Red Grouse. Buzzard x3 were in the valley by Heather Brae.

Langdon Beck are was pretty quiet. No close views of Black Grouse for me either. Around 20 were in the fields on the north side of the road but a good distance away. Heading up the Cow Green Road produce another three Balck Grouse and another in Harwood. Dotted around the fields here were several Fieldfare and Mistle Thrush and quite a few Lapwing. The only other species I saw in Harwood was Pheasant.

Heading back down the dale there was nothing new. Egglestone Coomon held a few more Red Grouse with a pair sat in a hawthorn bush overhanging the road. As I approached the male hopped onto the wall top whilst it's mate continued nibbling buds.

By the chevrons on the Egglestone to Woodland Road I spotted a Red Kite circling over the ridge. It landed on a rock outcrop but after being harassed by a Raven it took off again. By the time I'd parked up another two had joined it - one with green wing tags - a Dumfries&Galloway bird from 2006. Geordie Graham arrived and we spent quite a while watching the three interact before one peeled off north again. The other two continued to play quite a while. Meanwhile the single bird came back south and settled in the wood. A Buzzard was perched on a tree near it. The two birds headed north and 20 mins later the one to the south was joined by another and they flew off up the valley. Certainly three Kites, but possibly four.

All in all it was a great way to end a great day day.

Attachments

• IMG_8652ao.JPG
    IMG_8652ao.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8702ao.JPG
    IMG_8702ao.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8868ao.JPG
    IMG_8868ao.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9319ao.JPG
    IMG_9319ao.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9322ao.JPG
    IMG_9322ao.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 96
Hi there

Other half was just wondering whereabouts in Hamsterly Forest do you need to be to see Crossbills? Looks like we might be having a trip over there this week.

I saw crossbills a few times whilst there. I spent most of my time to the south of the valley in and around the moutain bike run. I don't know Hamsterly very well at all. I'm sure somebody else on here will be able to give you some better advice.

Craig

Durham Bird Club AGM

Just a reminder to DBC members looking in that this Thursday evening sees the 2008 AGM. This is your club so do come along and have your say on the running of it.

Any non-members birding in Durham are also invited to come along and see what they are missing. We all like watching birds in our local county but the birds need our help from environmental pressures. If you are not a member why not come along, join up and give a little back to the birds - without them you wouldn't have what can be such a rewarding hobby.

Increase your birding knowledge and pleasure by helping us in our primary aim to study and conserve the birds in our county. Don't worry that you may think you lack the necessary knowledge or experience - rest assured you can make a difference! That little extra bit of effort will be well worth it in the long run.

Had a good day today and was great to meet Ian F:t:.The kites were a joy to watch.I had been up on the road to Stanhope,saw a few red grouse and 1 buzzard along with lapwing in the fields near Blackton.

IMGP1634.JPG

Graham

Hi Ian,

Good point - i guess i wrongly assumed that seeing the 4 lads with bagged rifles put us in the same place at the same time - i suppose not.

Anyway the path alongside the embankment is clearly marked and the styles that allow you to progress across the two big fields parallel to the railway are clearly marked with a vertical arrow. The route is actually quite visible when you are in those fields as its quite well trodden and bisects them almost across the middle. If you follow the trodden route you will be approx 100 or more yards away from the railway embankment.

I reckon he was 10 -15 yards off embankment. Anyways , let it be mentioned no more:t:

Worst Case Scenario

I reckon he was 10 -15 yards off embankment. Anyways , let it be mentioned no more:t:

Beware The Moon Lads !

Truck driver: Here, lads, East Proctor and all about are the moors. I go east here.
Jack: Yes, well thank you very much for the ride, sir. You have lovely sheep.
Truck driver: Boys, keep off the moors. Stay on the road. Good luck to you.

[recalling what the driver told them]
David: Keep off the moors.
Jack: And stay on the road.
[they look down to see that they have wandered off the road]
David: Woops.

Yeah, so best concentrate where you're going or you might end up nr the Slaughtered Lamb or worse still - in one of Martins holes.........:eek!:

S.

Last edited:
Beware The Moon Lads !

Truck driver: Here, lads, East Proctor and all about are the moors. I go east here.
Jack: Yes, well thank you very much for the ride, sir. You have lovely sheep.
Truck driver: Boys, keep off the moors. Stay on the road. Good luck to you.

[recalling what the driver told them]
David: Keep off the moors.
Jack: And stay on the road.
[they look down to see that they have wandered off the road]
David: Woops.

Yeah, so best concentrate where you're going or you might end up nr the Slaughtered Lamb or worse still - in one of Martins holes.........:eek!:

S.

GULP!!!

barmston pond early am; the area was like a christmas card scene,
very beautiful;
2 mute swan
2 canada geese
17 mallard
6 gadwall
1 tufted duck
3 shelduck
20 coot
1 moorhen
chaffinch singing briefly

c100 woodpigeon roosting at barons quay and 14 teal
along hylton riverside

Another gloriously sunny but bitterly cold morning, I decided to have another look at Watergate Forest Park near Lobley Hill.
The lake was rather predictably about two-thirds frozen, so all the bird activity was concentrated either side of the bridge. Highlights were 2 Canada Geese, 2 Little Grebe, 3 pairs of Teal and a Grey Wagtail.
I continued onwards into Washingwell Woods and was greeted by a drumming Great-spotted Woodpecker the first of two seen, best of the rest were Jay, Goldcrest and Treecreeper.
Made my way back down to the lake by which time lots of gull's had arrived and in amongst the many Black-headed Gull's were 2 LBB Gull's.
Best bird of the morning was saved until last as a Water Rail gave superb close views as it came out onto the ice |=)|

Neil

Last edited:
Loads of singing round my local patch today, 5 Yellowhammers and 3Greenfinch in full song from the gorse at Elemore Golfcourse this morning.
4 Buzzards at Elemore Hall this afternoon, including 3 soaring together, 2 Woodpeckers drumming and 2 Tawnys hooting several times at 2 pm,from amongst the dense Scots Pine.
A single Brambling spied amongst the Beechmast , could be more about ,although i couldnt see any ,theres certainly plenty of Beech about for them.

Attachments

• c buntig 002.jpg
    c buntig 002.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 55
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 66
  • wood 009.jpg
    wood 009.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 64
  • wood 005.jpg
    wood 005.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back