• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Staten Island, New York, USA - 2017 Feb 4 Need help identifying prey of probable juve (1 Viewer)

jkonviser

I took these 3 photos of a hawk that landed in my backyard and was eating another bird. I believe the hawk is a juvenile cooper's and would like confirmation. However, I'm really curious if anyone can identify the bird the hawk is eating. Is that another raptor, possibly a chick?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

I took these 3 photos of a hawk that landed in my backyard and was eating another bird. I believe the hawk is a juvenile cooper's and would like confirmation. However, I'm really curious if anyone can identify the bird the hawk is eating. Is that another raptor, possibly a chick?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Sorry technical problem attaching photos. This should work, I hope.

Attachments

• 20170204-P2040018.jpg
    20170204-P2040018.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170204-P2040035.jpg
    20170204-P2040035.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20170204-P2040061.jpg
    20170204-P2040061.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 71
Merlin? That's a surprise. I was undecided between Cooper's and Sharp Shined hawk.
What got me interested in the bird being eaten is its rather long legs and raptor like talons. I guess I'll never know.

Yes, I noticed the fairly large feet of the prey too. Not thick enough for a raptor, and maybe not large enough for a rail, but too big for something like a sparrow. Would be OK for an icterid, I think, but they should be gone in the winter and they tend to have black legs anyway.

I don't think it's a starling - too brown.

There can't be too many species with pale legs, largish feet and brown body feathers resident on Staten Island in the winter...

Perhaps one clue to the pray id is that the location is very close to the shore. Could it be shore bird?

None have feet like that.

As far as I know, none of the expected icterids have pale legs as seen in the photo, though body color suggests female Brown-headed Cowbird which wouldn't be unusual this time of year. Could any Starlings still be in grayish juvenile plumage this time of year?

Could any Starlings still be in grayish juvenile plumage this time of year?

No, but all the contour feathers look to have been plucked, and it only has down left. Not sure what colour a Starling's down feathers are, but I'd agree with those who think that's what it is :t:

Hi there from a former Staten Islander and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Definitely a Merlin and it is surprising to see it eating a bird of that size. Not so much eating but catching a bird of that size. I'm wondering if it could have possibly have been a road kill that it took advantage of. I've never seen a Merlin prey on birds that size.

Definitely a Merlin and it is surprising to see it eating a bird of that size. Not so much eating but catching a bird of that size. I'm wondering if it could have possibly have been a road kill that it took advantage of. I've never seen a Merlin prey on birds that size.

They can, and significantly larger - prey up to the size of e.g. Bar-tailed Godwit, approx twice their own weight :t:

They can, and significantly larger - prey up to the size of e.g. Bar-tailed Godwit, approx twice their own weight :t:
Hello, fellow Staten Islander! You may be interested to learn that we now have a pair Bald eagles. First in 100 years in New York city!

In a last ditch effort I magnified the pray portion of the photo as much as possible in my picture editing software. Perhaps it will help. Or not.

Attachments

• P2040035.jpg
    P2040035.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 52
That is a much better closeup so hopefully one of our geniuses will figure out what bird belongs to those feet ;)

Good to hear about the Bald Eagles. They're making a comeback here as well. ;)

In a last ditch effort I magnified the pray portion of the photo as much as possible in my picture editing software. Perhaps it will help. Or not.
There's a brown mantle or wing covert feather hanging over the Merlin's foot; makes me think perhaps one of the larger sparrows, perhaps something like a White-throated Sparrow?

On closer view the feet aren't as big as I'd thought, nor are the legs as long - mostly they just look big in proportion to a bird that's missing its head and tail. It's looking less like an icterid (or something of that size and shape), and more like a sparrow (or ditto).

(I still don't see any hint of starling plumage, and I think Nutcracker's lone feather does rule that out, but the feet actually look quite good for starling.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back