• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron MM4 50 and 60 mm with Iphone 6S (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Just my first pics with the new Opticron MM4 50 and 60 mm scopes and the Iphone 6S.

First round of pics will be with the 50 mm model. Taken this past weekend at a local zoo as my youngest son's cub scout pack had an event there and I brought this phonescoping rig along. Unedited except for cropping and downsized to fit in this forum. Original can be found at: https://flic.kr/p/SGr1kK

Opticron MM4 50 mm
HDF fixed magnification/wide angle eyepiece
Opticron Universal adapter
Apple Iphone 6S

Barred Owl

Attachments

• barredowl.jpg
    barredowl.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Pic #2 Same bird, slightly different posturing. Same 50 mm scope combo as listed in previous post.

Pic #3 Penguin, same day, same combo but outdoors.

Higher resolution pics this time but not full-sized. Those can be found on my Flickr page at :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73029961@N07/with/33234145966/

No editing except for cropping.

Attachments

• bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 283
  • penguin2.jpg
    penguin2.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 341
Some pics from this week and the MM4 60 with the Iphone 6S

Song Sparrow for starters...

White-throated sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Mourning Dove

Had some free time to kill with the blizzard we received earlier this week.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 550
  • wts1.jpg
    wts1.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 496
  • dej1.jpg
    dej1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 476
  • md1.jpg
    md1.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Just a few more pics with the Opticron MM4 and Iphone 6S at the Cape May Bird Observatory's annual optics sale.

Attachments

• fieldsparrow.jpg
    fieldsparrow.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 467
  • redtail.jpg
    redtail.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 517
  • yellowcrowned.jpg
    yellowcrowned.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 475
  • americanoyster.jpg
    americanoyster.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 536
Thank you tuamfoik.

I will post more as I get more "good ones". I have been taking more pics but I prefer to just post the really good ones here. :)

Here are a couple of marginal ones....whitetail deer (birding hike last night) and American Robin.

Attachments

• whitetail deer.jpg
    whitetail deer.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 444
  • amerrob.jpg
    amerrob.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 472
Thank you DB. It certainly is.

A pic taken yesterday of a Yellow Warbler with the MM4 50 mm and IPhone 6S.... (check out the bug in its beak.)

Attachments

• 34456879936_b26974122a_o.jpg
    34456879936_b26974122a_o.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Just a few pics to update the thread. Taken with the Opticron MM4 50 mm and Iphone 6S.

Northern Cardinal and Common Yellowthroat

Attachments

• cardinal one.jpg
    cardinal one.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 396
  • coye.jpg
    coye.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 452
Common Yellowthroat and Tree Swallow.

Pics taken yesterday morning with Opticron MM4 60 mm and Iphone 6S. Very overcast and bit rainy so the pics are a bit grainier than I prefer.

Attachments

• coyellow1.jpg
    coyellow1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 423
  • coyellow2.jpg
    coyellow2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 436
  • tresw.jpg
    tresw.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 488
Lovely photos!
Did you also try to phonoscope with a zoom eyepiece? Are the results usable?

Best wishes!

Just saw this now. Yes, either zoom eyepiece available will produce results very similar to the fixed magnification/wide angle eyepieces that I typically use with the Opticrons. The only notable difference is the apparent field of view is narrower especially at similar magnifications. Other image quality characteristics are entirely comparable.

It has been quite some time since I posted new pics to this thread. Here is a shot of an American Coot from Cape May last October taken with the Iphone 6S and Opticron MM4 ED 60 mm. Unedited except for a slight crop.

Attachments

• AmericanCootCM.jpg
    AmericanCootCM.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 331
A Tree Swallows pic taken yesterday with the Opticron MM4 50 mm, Iphone 6S and Opticron Universal Phonscoping adapter

Attachments

• treeswallowshouse.jpg
    treeswallowshouse.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 181
Just saw this now. Yes, either zoom eyepiece available will produce results very similar to the fixed magnification/wide angle eyepieces that I typically use with the Opticrons. The only notable difference is the apparent field of view is narrower especially at similar magnifications. Other image quality characteristics are entirely comparable.

Thanks for your answer! The pics that you have posted are impressive. Nevertheless i decided for a Nikon ED50. I got a used one with tripod and head for a reasonable price and am absolutely happy with it :)

Best regards!

A Veery photographed yesterday morning at The Biggest Week in American Birding festival with the Opticron MM4 50 mm and Iphone 6S.

Attachments

• Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 269
Common Yellowthroat taken this past Saturday at a local lake with the Opticron MM4 50 mm and Iphone 6S.

Attachments

• coye.jpg
    coye.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 225
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back