• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanibel Island FL - buff-colored sparrow-ish? (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
I know this is a long shot and I hate that I can't offer a photo.
Yesterday at the Bailey Track, I caught a glimpse of a sparrow-sized bird. It had a sparrow-ish type beak and (in the brief moment I had to view it) had remarkably limited markings, being almost a uniform buff/beige. The wings were just a tad bit darker, maybe a tad bit greyer. I did not notice any head stripe (but doesn't mean that there might not have been one). No major eye-ring (again that I can remember) and certainly no eye bar.

The area had a number of quiet, kind of mumbled chirps. Related? I don't know.

For those unfamiliar with the track, the terrain is a series of shallow, sometimes wide water areas. There are reeds in some stretches and some thickets and low shrubs /palms.

Any help would be more than welcome!

A wren would have been nice, but the beak was wrong and just didn't behave right. The closest might have been a sedge wren, I think, but still they have a lot more markings that this bird.

I think the female bunting might indeed be right! (The Stokes photo is closer than the Sibley image in this case.)

Thanks!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back