• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

migration and topography (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just wondering how many birders incorparate their knowledge of local topography when searching for birds at peak spring and autumn migration periods?

although for the most part norfolk is quite flat there are subtle ridges and
hills that seem to attract certain species more than low lying valley bottoms.
my most reliable sites for linnets and yellow hammers I find are often along the top of valley's and even built up railway embankments.

these areas alway's seem to provide good birding at migration periods,the most memorable sighting in such an area was a count of 11 wheatears feeding on a high sloping cereal field,a good inland sighting!

I can imagine the peaks and hills of north norfolk [walsey hills?] being even more of a migrant trap than my mid norfolk valley walls?

matt

Being a land (and sea) surveyor topography is my thing and I have used it a lot to help me find birds. When I first moved to Norway it took me a few years before I even met any birders. The first thing I did was buy some maps and find some likely looking spots.....turned out well. Eg visible migration of passerines down valleys up in the mountains.

Along the coast, spots that are sheltered from the wind are often best e.g. narrow valleys. Inland, prominent hills tend to be rather good. I sometimes wonder if this is because they are the first bits of land that tired migrants hit as they descend. Not sure about this though.

Normally we never see any passage of winter thrushes at the top of the Coquet valley, but last autumn the whole of the area was shrouded in low cloud and there were huge numbers passing day and night. I think they must have missed there turn off, presumably they use the topography to find their way.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back