• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird again [PIC] (1 Viewer)

maxfoto2003

hello gang

I need you help again! I was looking and waiting if I heard the hoopoe again and while I was waiting and looking through my lens I noticed this little creature. It did not make any sound at all. He was also sitting and 'walking' against the tree so that is not a problem with his claws.

Do you have any idea what it is? He was sitting and eating on a palm tree, with a lot of tiny flies around I guess (well I can see his beak anyway)

Thanks for thinking and looking.

and.. I will certainly hunt further for the hoopoe but it is sooooo hot here!

PS Picture is taken in SPAIN !

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
;-)) yes that he was creeping I noticed ;-)) but I really have no idea which one. it is not the Certhia Brachydactyla since that one is much smaller and does not have black claws.

And the palm almost certainly Trachycarpus fortunei (Chinese Palm, the hardiest palm species and the only one that can be grown in northern Europe at all easily)

Michael

thanks michael, that is what I thought at first but this one is much much bigger and his claws have another color. but it was a pretty big bird and the 'boomkruiper' is smaller than a sparrow if I am not mistaken?

Definite Certhia brachydactyla - nothing else in Europe fits that wing pattern. The only other possibility is Certhia familiaris (Taigaboomkruiper) and that is the same size (but has a slightly different wing pattern, and is very rare in the Netherlands)

I would guess that the structure of the palm stem (a somewhat unfamiliar object to Europeans!) made it look bigger than it really is - that sort of illusion can happen quite easily, as so much size judgement is done by comparing the size with familiar objects.

Michael

Ah Spain!

Well in that case, it has to be Boomkruiper, as Taigaboomkruiper is impossible there, that is a northern species!

It also means there are several other palms that it could be!

Michael

thanks michale and I will make sure I add location of the bird next time :-( and about the palm trees.... yes I am surrounded by palm trees these days ;-)

this week I will visit the palm garden in elche. are there any birds that are making their habit on palm trees? anything I need to look for?

I'd like to second Mark D. Lovely photo of a tricky bird to get (well I never seem to be able to get good shots anyway).

I can never remember which species is which...but I do remember that the thing to look for on creepers is the pale bar in the wing. One species has a continuous line and the other has a discontinuity in it. Its really easy to see on two species which are otherwise confusingly similar. This one has no discontinuity...which makes it a Short-toed!

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 240
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back