• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (3 Viewers)

It's finished!

Good lord, remember this? It's been sitting on the easel since last summer, staring at me with accusations of nearly-but-not-quite-finished-ness (sometimes I'd wake up in the night and swear I'd see it standing over me, glowering in the dark).

I decided I wasn't going to let an entire year go by without finishing it, so I sat down this weekend and got it done. Haven't the foggiest if I even like it anymore, but it'll go into the portfolio for now. I'll decide later if I can overlook all of the glaring technical inconsistencies that tend to creep into a work that spans so many months.

Attachments

• 2008 American Redstart.jpg
    2008 American Redstart.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 81
I rememember you posting the early stages of this painting last summer. Great to see the finished version. Its an excellent result.
Steve

It's beautiful. It's a delicate and deft touch you have and you've created a light and airy piece with fantastic atmosphere. Please don't make us wait another six months for the next one!

Mike

Please don't make us wait another six months for the next one!

Well, for once I can comply! I'd like to do a more involved piece of that lovely Pelee Red-headed I hung out with at the Tip, but for now just a quickie. I've also got the itch to do another sparrow piece, in some thick, tangly sparrow-suitable habitat (just playing with ideas at the mo, though). Off to the cottage for four days tomorrow, dockside is a good place for paints.

Attachments

• 2008 Red-headed Woodpecker.jpg
    2008 Red-headed Woodpecker.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Song Sparrow - prelim.jpg
    Song Sparrow - prelim.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 58
What a fantastic woodpecker - I adored the sketch and now I adore the painting. These are solid 3D branches with a solid 3D bird - you've captured the forms superbly. Stunningly beautiful too!

Love the woodie, it looks so real! And that detail of the wing and tail being just visible from behind the branch, charming. Waiting forward to seeing what'll come out of the sparrowy, I like the color scheme.

Elina

Quiet on the forum lately! Ah well, here's what I've been up to.

I went down to Hamilton Harbour this afternoon for a look at a lifer White Pelican (too distant to sketch, unfortunately), and spent some time at the Caspian Tern colony. Also, a page of a Song Sparrow -- I'd intended to get some reference sketches of Swamp Sparrows for the painting I'm working on, but as the only individual I could rustle up spent the entire five minutes behind a clump of leaves with only his butt sticking out, I had to settle for the 'singer' who had been following me around the whole time, rolling his eyes and yelling, 'Fer crissake, forget him, I'm right here!"

Attachments

• sketchbook 2008-08-10.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-08-10.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 76
  • sketchbook 2008-08-16-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-08-16-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 72
  • sketchbook 2008-08-16-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-08-16-2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 99
  • sketchbook 2008-08-16-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-08-16-3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 68
  • sketchbook 2008-08-16-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-08-16-4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 67
Terns are just gorgeous - love the scalloping on the youngster and the breeze-affected plumage. Just beautiful. Also glad you plumped for the singer - wise decision and another superb sheet of informative, three-dimensional drawings.
Top drawer, as usual.

Finally got some time to work on this, been busy the past few weeks. (Maid of honour at a friend's wedding, which automatically volunteered me for various preparation duties, not to mention bachelorette planning and, ack, speech writing!) Now that it's all out of the way, back to my Melospiza, though things have changed quite a bit from the original sketch. Also, a page of an Ovenbird I stirred up while out hiking on the weekend. The warblers are on the move!

Attachments

• Song Sparrow 2008-09-03.jpg
    Song Sparrow 2008-09-03.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 85
  • sketchbook 2008-08-30.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-08-30.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back