• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (1 Viewer)

great things happening in paint here - and the ovenbird is moving across the paper, not familiar with ovenbirds myself, apart from the headless ones that end up in there with the potatoes, but if they're half as charismatic as your sketches show they must be a real treat to see for real.

Great design on the sparrow painting with your trademark clean, bright colours. really looking forward to this one getting finished. Drawings are simpley beautiful. As usual.

Just returned from a week up on the peninsula. Things are quiet on the migration front right now (handfuls of kinglets and sparrows, and hardly a blackbird to be seen -- can you believe it?). But the loons are out in number, sometimes thirty or more visible with the naked eye from the dock as they patrol the bay. Too many loon sketches! Can you have too many loon sketches?

A few pages from this week. I won't bore you with all the loon sheets, but they're on the website if you'd like to check them out.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2008-10-16-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-10-16-3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 50
  • sketchbook 2008-10-13-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-10-13-3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 65
  • sketchbook 2008-10-12-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-10-12-1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 56
  • sketchbook 2008-10-17-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-10-17-1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 55
  • field study 2008-10-16.jpg
    field study 2008-10-16.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 74
Another superb set of drawings. I've been following your website blog too and the dive sequence is a fine piece of fieldwork all round. Love some of the photos too - looks like you aren't short of fresh air over there!
Super job.

Beautiful birds, beautifully sketched. The loon's lines suit your silky smooth linework perfectly so, no, I don't think there's such a thing as too many loon sketches.

Mike

A lot to take in here since my last visit, Caspians are fantastic, as are the Loons, all really well seen and drawn. Look forward to seeing the painting develop. Special mention for the Ovenbird sketches, just brilliant stuff. Been a long time since I saw one, but you have got it all down in these drawings, wonderful...

once again superb, paritcularly love the loon watercolour, superb lighting, and you can never have too many loon sketches!

There is so much exciting new work to comment that I'm not able to follow the progress!
Fabulous field work of the highest level!

Paschalis

Mmm, more divers (just came from Ed's thread). It's wonderful how you can make such clean and clear sketches (hopefully what I'm saying makes sense).

Elina

Song sparrow is finished. Now, time to move on to something more wintery -- it's snowing outside, rather heavily too!

Attachments

• 2008-11-19 Song Sparrow.jpg
    2008-11-19 Song Sparrow.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 68
I absolutely adore this painting, luscious lines, delicate form, subtle colour and understated composition. Not to mention a very pretty little bird!

Mike

It's a real cracker Jo and I agree with Mike's asessment. Beautifully crisp colours and I love the attitude youv'e given the bird. Reading your final line about the weather, it now appears the sparrow has a look of resigned tolerance to the onset of the long, hard winter.
I'm looking forward to seeing pages of sketches and finished paintings on this thread to brighten my winter.

this is amongst your finest, such a great simple composition and an amazing quality of light - something very special indeed.

Already said, just to say the Song Sparrow painting is a little piece of magic and has a really delicate mood to it, very peaceful and quiet, delightful painting...

The smile on my face when I look at this latest painting of yours pretty much says it all. But since I cannot attach the smile, I'll just say one word with lots of emphasis: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Elina

Off to Metz yesterday for winter birds -- shrikes, crossbills, buntings and owls. No luck on the first two, but the latter two I did find. I was lucky enough to come across a group of Snow Buntings feeding on corn just off the road, all of whom were focused enough on this opportune food source to let me sketch at my leisure (a nice change!).

I had a lot more trouble tracking down owls, but just as I headed home I came across one right at the roadside, perched atop a utility pole. I've never been quite so close to a wild Snowy -- gorgeous bird!

Finally, a recent photo of my latest work in progress. Time to start adding some colour to this one.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2009-01-24-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-01-24-1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 62
  • sketchbook 2009-01-24-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-01-24-2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 74
  • sketchbook 2009-01-24-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-01-24-3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 50
  • sketchbook 2009-01-24-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-01-24-4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 60
  • woodpecker 2009-01-17 small.jpg
    woodpecker 2009-01-17 small.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 63
I saw the sketches on your blog and was impressed then, the snowy owl sheets are mind-blowingly good, and the opportunity to sketch the snow bunts has paid great dividends for you too.

I'm looking forward to watching progress on the pecker having just completed one myself.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back