• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone Using a Feisol Tripod (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I've started doing some research into carbon fibre tripods & the impression that I get is that Feisol is better than Induro / Benro but not as good as a Gitzo.

However they appear to be comparable or better than the Manfrotto / Bogen legs.

Does anyone here have any experience of using a Feisol CF & care to share their experiences please

TIA
Andrew

I have one of the original 4 section CT-3402 tripods from them, bought about 2 1/2 years ago from their ebay shop, which used to be the only way to buy them then.

Consequently I was stung for an extra £30 import tax on top of the £130 price tag. The older ones had plastic leg locking collars, which some expressed concerns about at the time, but I've read lots of online reviews and couldn't find anyone who'd had a problem with them. Now the collars are made of metal, amd the tripods are available direct from the importer in the UK. They also seem to be lighter too.

Mine is lighter in weight than my Manfrotto 055MFV (about 1.4kg compared to around 1.9kg for legs only), but not as tall and less sturdy too. I'd guess it's probably more equvalent to the smaller 190 series. I use mine only occasionally, especially when doing more walking around when I don't want to carry the extra weight. I prefer it without the optional centre column which is a strange design with an extra extending section inside, preferring instead to use the head attached to the flat plate that sits on top of the legs. This was included in the price. Of course, this means that the max height is only around 1.2 metres when used this way.

It seems that specs are slightly different on the latest models, and they look to be improved to my eyes, though to get an equivalent to either the Manfrotto 055 or larger Gitzos I think you'd need to go for one of the larger models than the CT-3402 (or similar models). They seem to be a decent company to deal with, and the tripods are nicely finished and well made, just not all that cheap anymore compared to an equivalent model from Manfrotto. I've heard many reports that they are 90% the quality of a Gitzo at half the price. I can't speak from experience, but if the larger models are proportionately as sturdy for their size and weight compared to mine, then probably this isn't far from the truth.

Steve

I've had a Feisol 3401 for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. Lightweight, sturdy, holds my 1D MKIII with converter and 100-400 IS Lens well. I am extremely happy with it.
Lisa

I looked into getting a Feisol about 18 months ago but went for a Gitzo instead but have noticed that they have a new range out now i think they are called the tournament range very light and from what ive read on the net very well made i think they also come with 3 years warranty. As Steve mentioned they also have a UK supplier and when i looked at their prices last month they were better than ordering from Feisol direct and paying the duties.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back