• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (7 Viewers)

Looks as though Danny is having a good weekend because he just texted me to say he's found three Glossy Ibis at Donmouth (on the island between the bridges). One is colour ringed. Well done Danny!

Just back from seeing them - wow! Great find Danny and thanks for getting the news out peeps! Think the ring is white LR8?

I had an interesting walk on the gramps this afternoon.

A flock of 6 stock doves were roaming the area widely, later a flock of 4 went through. never seen them here before.

A fine pair of ring ouzels were feeding on sodden grass. As I walked past they flew into bushes and joined at least 3 other ouzels. I then came across a separate flock of 3+ birds, so at least 8 were present.

3 wheatears appeared on the path on my way back, seemingly newly arrived. When I looked back 8 were sitting on a fence line I had previously walked along. Little doubt that these birds were arriving around me. They seemed to be big Greenland types.

Sounds like "The Gramps" are the Ouzel hot spot..! Did you see any Roe Deer while you were there ? Despite the "official" figure's coming from the Council,It would be Interesting to see If anyone has seen those not culled.

Sounds like "The Gramps" are the Ouzel hot spot..! Did you see any Roe Deer while you were there ? Despite the "official" figure's coming from the Council,It would be Interesting to see If anyone has seen those not culled.

I don't remember seeing any deer today, but there were several around last week that had got inside the fenced off corridor that contains the landfill vents...

is there a translated version of this message in plain english for those of us who are not quite hip ??

I'm sorry Angus, clearly what I meant to post was:

"The avian migrant assemblage present at the Aberdeen City (UK) locality colloquially known as 'The Gramps', but more accurately known as the former East Tullos landfill site, in the post-meridian period of this day included one (1) Ring Ouzel (Turdus Torquatus) and three (3) Northern Wheatears (Oenanthe Oenanthe) in distinct contrast to yesterday when there were more of both species present at said somewhat malodorous locality."

I'm sorry Angus, clearly what I meant to post was:

"The avian migrant assemblage present at the Aberdeen City (UK) locality colloquially known as 'The Gramps', but more accurately known as the former East Tullos landfill site, in the post-meridian period of this day included one (1) Ring Ouzel (Turdus Torquatus) and three (3) Northern Wheatears (Oenanthe Oenanthe) in distinct contrast to yesterday when there were more of both species present at said somewhat malodorous locality."

that was better, thank you !!!
not being a local the gramps really had me puzzled.

For your viewing delight, attached is a picture of the gramps...!

Well it makes a change from Andrew's trolleys and articles of clothing....though we haven't seen too many recently. Last time I was up some kind soul had left a sofa for him to rest on just up from the Purple Sandpiper rocks.

Being as we are somewhat off the topic of birding, I am more confident in my ability to discuss the "Gramps". I always understood the "Gramps" to refer only to Kincorth Hill and its environs, not Tullos Hill. They are both part of the Loirston Country Park, but I do not believe that the "Gramps" includes Tullos Hill. Until the erection of the muckle fence, I was able to use Tullos Hill to cycle on the `way to Girdle Ness, being able to get under the gate and squeeze past the previous fence. Just why a country park has acquired such a monstrosity and killing off the local wildlife surely cannot be explained in rational terms.

The fence is unbelievable and total overkill. The cost must have been staggering. I stopped walking there for a while after it went up, but have got used to it. There doesn't seem any way out to the east now.

Tullos Hill is defo known as the gramps by many people, see e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-14012427. I suspect it is originally a generic term for heather clad hills in the south of Aberdeen though....and I probably should use 'Tullos Hill' to be more understandable, 7 years habit is hard to break though!

I'm glad to find other people interested in the place...!

Maybe we need a 'Gramps Appreciation Thread'? ;-)

Must be some great birds missed in these places...I always fancy Kincorth Hill for something like a Red-foot or a shrike...

On the subject of the Gramps/ Tullos Hill, I think it would be more than appropriate for records from there to be written about on 'Birds fae Torry', what with it being just the other side of the railway line and within view of Girdle Ness. I've certainly written about birds on the hill on Birds fae Torry in the past. Not that I'm being greedy or anything...

On the subject of the Gramps/ Tullos Hill, I think it would be more than appropriate for records from there to be written about on 'Birds fae Torry', what with it being just the other side of the railway line and within view of Girdle Ness. I've certainly written about birds on the hill on Birds fae Torry in the past. Not that I'm being greedy or anything...

Good call fella, clearly they get similar migrants etc..and I suspect that people tune into the Aberdeen thread more for the shire news then the ramblings of urban birders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back