• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adding A Camera To A Bird Box? (1 Viewer)

starseven

starseven
Hi all,

I'm thinking about putting a bird box up for the first time this year, and looking at the prices I think I could save about £20 or £30 just by buying an ordinary bird box, and adding a separate camera myself.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? Is it easy enough to do? Or is it false economy and better just to stick to a pre-fitted camera?

Thanks

It can be done but you need to make sure you buy a tall enough nest box. Most standard ones won't give you enough height to fit the camera inside, take a look at the Jacobi Jayne cedar ones, they're a bit more than most but are tall and built to last. Or make one yourself, should be plenty of DIY guides on google. Good luck!

Another thing to consider is the minimum focal distance of your camera. If you are using a webcam or an ip camera aimed at the security market then it might not focus down to the distance required for a "camera in the lid" style nest box.

Just chipping in here, I've been looking at these for a while and the kits are expensive.
Ive just bought the bits to do my own off EBAY for under £15! I will let you know how I get on though!
If it works I'll post all the links, if it fails, I'll keep quiet!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back