• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

POLL: Do you feed 12 month a year? (1 Viewer)

I don't have a bird feeder but from the discussions on local forums:

sick birds were ocassionally reported (in form of bird sitting fluffed up and looking miserable) but I don't remember hearing about action taken in form of extra cleaning of bird feeder. One bird apparently recovered from whatever it was affected with, some just disappeared, it was assumed predators picked them as easy prey.

Many windowsill feeders are do-it-yourself things made of plastic water bottles so they are just tossed once they get dirty. One person placed bottle feeders in public park opposite her window and bottles were periodically destroyed in bonfires by hooligans :(

Sunflower seeds are food of choice, being relatively easy to find at affordable prices. Some people experimented with suet balls at window feeders. Kitchen-sponge-sized slabs of white bacon were used at least by a few people but they reported they were used only by Great Tit when it was well below freezing. A few people had ground feeders and used wheat and other cereals, attracting finchlike species. Peanut is relatively expensive here and more likely to be nibbled on by the birdwatcher than by the bird.

I don't remember hearing about bird baths. There are usually plenty of puddles around houses where feeders are situated.

Birds are generally fed only in winter, completely deserting window feeders seemingly overnight when breeding season starts. However, if poor weather lasts for several days birds appear at their remembered feeders to check if there is any food left. My friend had great tit fledglings being brought by their parents to her 8th storey balcony as they happened to fledge during the sudden drop of temperature / prolonged rain.

Last edited:
Hi,
I live in Lausanne, Switzerland. Here is my contribution.

1. Do you feed the birds the whole year? No (only in winter)
2. How common is it in your country to feed birds the whole year? Probably not common.
3. Which bird food do you use exactly? If seeds please mention the composition. Seeds (sunflower and hempseed) and fat (lard)
4. How often do you observe aberrant or sick birds on your feeder? Never
5. How do you treat your feeder after you saw a sick bird on it? N/A
6. Do you offer also a bird bath? No

Last edited:
Here's my contribution (NE Italy - usually quite a harsh wintertime)

1. Do you feed the birds the whole year?
No. Usually from late November to February/early March (depending on weather).

2. How common is it in your country to feed birds the whole year?
Rather uncommon. Looking at my bank account, I suspect I support the whole neighbouring bird population o:D

3. Which bird food do you use exactly? If seeds please mention the composition.
Mainly sunflower seeds on feeders, hanging suetballs and wildbird mix on the ground.

4. How often do you observe aberrant or sick birds on your feeder?
Never observed. Once an injured greenfinch.

5. How do you treat your feeder after you saw a sick bird on it?
Never observed, but I clean and disinfect feeders regularly, especially during/after rainy/snowy/foggy days

6. Do you offer also a bird bath?
No. Not needed during winter time in the area

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back