• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (3 Viewers)

Thanks both. Yes. looks like Carpocoris but which? Some pics of C. fuscispinus have the scutellar markings (but variable, as you say). On the other hand C. pudicus seems to have consistently stripey head markings which mine doesn't ... Well, got the genus at least!

During a walk round my local nature reserve yesterday, I found at least 6 Pied Shieldbugs on a patch of mixed White Dead-nettle & Stinging Nettle exactly where I had seen them a couple of years ago. While sitting / laying down trying to get some photos I noticed a Blue Shieldbug on the same patch.

Stuart

Attachments

• bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 71
  • bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 70
During a walk round my local nature reserve yesterday, I found at least 6 Pied Shieldbugs on a patch of mixed White Dead-nettle & Stinging Nettle exactly where I had seen them a couple of years ago. While sitting / laying down trying to get some photos I noticed a Blue Shieldbug on the same patch.

Stuart
Nice find Stuart, great photos too. I dread to think how they are faring after this snow [that's if you've had any in your area]. Mostly melted now but still some in shaded areas. I've had the bizarre sight of watching a pair of Long-tailed Tits collecting nesting material in the snow!
Cheers,
Steve.

We had a little snow but it didn't settle, a bad frost last night however. Hopefully they can find some sheltered spots at ground level beneath the plants.

Stuart.

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

Lucky you, I have never found a Pied Shieldbug in my area in 30+ years, although there are 19thC records of them.

I did however find a Gorse Shieldbug today, my first of the year.

Harry

The shieldbugs have survived the cold weather ok, there were at least 8 Pied & 2 Blue Shieldbugs in the patch of White Dead-nettle. One of the Blue Shieldbugs had caught a small, metalic blue beetle see attached photos.
Also found 2 Pied Shields at another part of the reserve, they were both on tin sheets put down for reptiles, presumably to warm themselves up quicker.
Shame you don't get Pieds in your neck of the woods Harry, they seem to fairly widespread round here.

Stuart

Attachments

• DSCN5430a (2).jpg
    DSCN5430a (2).jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN5433a (2).jpg
    DSCN5433a (2).jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN5446a (2).jpg
    DSCN5446a (2).jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi,

I found these bugs in my front yard today. Can you help me with the ID? Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 54
Hi,

I found these bugs in my front yard today. Can you help me with the ID? Thanks.

Hi ensis,
most of the members of this group are from the UK or Europe so I doubt we can get them down to species for you. However, the first two shots appear to be of a species from the family Coreidae and the last one is of the Pentatomidae.
HTH,
Cheers,
Steve.

Sehirus luctuosus

Hi all,
I added the above species to my list today, on top of which I found it in my own garden - always a nice way to gain a 'lifer'!
It doesn't have a colloquial name but should be called the Forget-me-not Shieldbug as I think this is it's only foodplant. There were several scurrying around amongst my Forget-me-nots in the front garden. Probably been there for years but I only noticed them as some plants had seeded in the cracks in the path and so the shieldbugs stood out against the paving slabs!
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• SehirusLuctuosus.Garden01.27-04-08.jpg
    SehirusLuctuosus.Garden01.27-04-08.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 85
This fella was photographed on Thorne Moors at Grahams request (bitterntwisted). What is it please?

Attachments

• IMG_1690_1_1.jpg
    IMG_1690_1_1.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
This fella was photographed on Thorne Moors at Grahams request (bitterntwisted). What is it please?

It's a Green Tiger Beetle, get you finger in the way of it's jaws and you will why it's called that. Like all the rest of the Tiger Beetles they are vicious predators. The Green TB is the commonest of the British Species and can be found on most moorlands.

Harry.

Last edited:
Legnotus limbosus?

Is this Legnotus limbosus?
Found at Sharpenhoe, Bedfordshire today.
Thanks,
Hugh

Attachments

• 58E08E4168.jpg
    58E08E4168.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 79
Hello Hugh,

I believe your correct, the shape of the pronotum is correct, the protruding eyes and the antennae.

Was there any Gallium sp. in the vicinity?

Harry

Thanks Harry, yes there are various Gallium sp. near the spot we found it, though it was on an Apiaceae - Anthriscus sylvestris.

Hugh

Thanks Harry, yes there are various Gallium sp. near the spot we found it, though it was on an Apiaceae - Anthriscus sylvestris.

Hugh

Hello Hugh,
Interesting, so little is known about this 'Bug' not even the nymphs are known or precisely what plants the species utilises. Cow Parsley? well you never know.

Are you a member of the Yahoo 'Hets' Group? A picture and your observations would make an interesting note.

If your not a member, get signed up. lol.

Harry

Hawthorn Shield Bug?

I came across this handsome shield bug in the garden this afternoon. Im pretty sure it's a Hawthorn. It's quite a bit bigger than the green shield bugs I often see. I also occasionally see sloe bugs. This one is new in the garden and a real beauty!

Nerine

Attachments

• hawthorn shield bug prob 6June.jpg
    hawthorn shield bug prob 6June.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back