• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows disappear during winter (1 Viewer)

VictoriaYorks

Hi, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right section.
I have a feeder hanging outside the front of the house which during the warm months is well used and is generally emptied within a week. I have only ever seen sparrows on there.
During the winter it doesn't get used at all, then in the spring they'll reappear. Why would that be? Should I be using different food?
I've bought a new feeder since these photos were taken, I came back from holiday and this one was smashed on the floor. It's still got clear sides but the top, bottom and feeder holes are all metal instead of plastic.
Sorry the photos aren't great, they're taken with a phone through a window.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 42
There is a bigger tree in next door's front garden, but the gardens are only a few feet front to back. There are more trees across the road where I know they hide. Do you think it's lack of cover then?

There's a substantial colony of house sparrows resident in my front hedge all year round.

Frankly, I wish they would push off somewhere for a few months and give the other birds more chance at the feeders.

Naughty Grobble!

Victoria, it could be a combination of lack of leaves in winter on the nearby trees(no hiding place as it were), plus a lack of food in the area now compared to spring/summer (they can eat insects not just seeds), when presumably they breed in the gutters and roof cavities.
Hopefully they'll be back soon.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back