• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

coolpix 4500? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hello,

I was about to buy the coolpix 4500 so I could start digiscoping but keep finding news and messages saying that this camera is
discontinued and a new model is about to come out.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Should I hold on? or just buy the 4500 anyway.
Thanks very much
Pete.

If you can wait until Feb 18 it may be clearer, Nikon are announcing a batch of products. I have doubts as to whether there will be a new camera that will match the cp4500 for digiscoping purposes.
There's always a new camera on the horizon, but very few are suitable for digiscoping. Hold off for a week, I'll post any news that I find about the new model/s.
I posted to another thread about what I've heard so far... a 3mp odd shaped camera with 3x optical zoom and rapid use in mind (quick start-up and shoot)... and it's got some new fangled monitor that can be seen in bright daylight.
Andy

blimey nikon dont hang about do they,
I thought that 4500 was only just out too.
:|

I will wait then i think
ta
Pete.

I would hold off on the purchase for now, if a replacement is coming out, there should be some bargins to be had on the 4500

"also since there is a big hoohaaa about this new one being superquick,
does this mean that the 4500 has problems in that area?
or is it good enough.?"

Virtually all digital cameras have a slow reaction time between pressing the shutter release and the image being taken... often called 'shutter lag'. It's not much fun pressing the shutter with a moving subject in-shot and then finding you've got a subject-less image... but I don't lose too much sleep over it (some do)
Life would be easier with faster shutter reaction times.

The trend seems to be towards this, Ricoh have just announced/introduced a digital camera with shutter lag less than any film camera.

Digital cameras are slow at lots of things... the time from switch-on to the moment you can take a shot is usually sluggish, though just switching the monitor off on the camera can do as an on/off button... camera uses hardly any power in this state, and you can take a shot almost instantaneously.
It can take a while for the camera lens to cycle through it's entire range before a focus-lock is obtained.
And then you still have the painful wait whilst the images are stored to the memory card before you can take the next shot.... it's better on newer cameras, but still not good enough.
Camera manufacturers are coming to the conclusion that the resolution of the camera (now they are at 3mp+) isn't as important as some of the basics.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks
I think I will stick with the 4500,
going from the results everyone is getting with it,
It will do me fine.
Thanks
Pete.

Camera manufacturers are coming to the conclusion that the resolution of the camera (now they are at 3mp+) isn't as important as some of the basics.
Regards,
Andy
Yeah, really good point Andy. My 3.3 MP Canon and 5 mp Olympus seem only differentiated by things other than the MP count, except as to the one respect of actual photo prints, as I can crop closer and still get nice print resolution with the 5mp. But even just being closer to the subject can make up for that. I find bigger differences in manual control features, color rendition, and sharpness of optics. In short, you and they are right. Steve B

Hmmmm. here's the sneak peek pic from the french review

Heres the image that appears on the French preview article above.

Attachments

• newcoolpix.jpg
    newcoolpix.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 344
Using the Nikon 4500 myself I can't see anything to beat it at the moment.
Anyway, like computers, if you change cameras/models every time a new version comes on the market it would cost a wee fortune. I'm sure my 4500 will do me for a long time.
Well satisfied Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back